C: Jack Clements, Darren Daulton
    1B: Fred Luderus, John Kruk
    2B: Chase Utley, Nap Lajoie
    3B: Mike Schmidt, Dick Allen
    SS: Jimmy Rollins, Larry Bowa
    LF: Ed Delahanty, Sherry Magee
    CF: Richie Ashburn
    RF: Bobby Abreu, Johnny Callison
    SP: Robin Roberts, Steve Carlton, Pete Alexander, Cole Hamels, Curt Schilling
    RP: Turk Farrell, Ron Reed, Jim Konstanty, Ryan Madson, Jonathan Papelbon

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Phillies players were together in their Phillies prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would easily be the best in baseball with a very good bullpen. The lineup would clearly be the best in baseball. Excellent bench as well. All that said 115 wins should be possible.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

I'd select Del Ennis in place of Johnny Callison for the outfield, Tug Mc Graw in place of Johnathan Papelbon for the bullpen, and Bob Boone and Mike Lieberthal two replace your two selections at catcher. If I could add a utility player I'd choose Tony Taylor, in which case I'd drop one pitcher - Dick "Turk" Farrell.
    It looks like the organization has been traditionally weak at 1B if Kruk and Luderus are the best choices for first baseman.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-03-2016, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Jonathan Papelbon would and should be boo'd off of any Phillies anything team unless the team is being created to reflect the negative.

Here is a Phillies fans all-time 25 man roster...

1. Richie Ashburn - 8
      2. Chase Utley - 4
      3. Ed Delahanty - 7
      4. Mike Schmidt - 5
      5. Ryan Howard - 3: easily, I might add.
      6. Bobby Abreu - 9
      7. Jimmy Rollins - 6
      8. Mike Lieberthal - 2: over party boy Daulton.
      9. Pitcher

Bench:
      Sherry Magee - OF: should be in the HoF.
      Chuck Klein - COF
      Roy Thomas - CF
      Dick Allen - CIF: it's him or Dave Hollins. I find both their personalities detrimental to a team. Allen is way better though.
      Jack Clements - C: LH catcher gotta have it and yea over Daulton I'll make that case all day.
      Tony Taylor - UT: has enough career WAR to merit being a utility player with experience as a pinch player compared to some former regulars.
      Larry Bowa - MIF

Rotation:
      1. Pete Alexander
      2. Steve Carlton
      3. Robin Roberts
      4. Cole Hamels
      5. Jim Bunning

Bullpen:
      RP - Steve Bedrosian
      RP - Jim Konstanty
      RP - Tug McGraw
      RP - Jose Mesa
      CL - Brad Lidge

Here is the "I won't follow the rules" Phillies all-time 25 man roster...

1. Billy Hamilton - 7
      2. Chase Utley - 4
      3. Nap Lajoie - 6
      4. Jim Thome - 3
      5. Mike Schmidt - 5
      6. Ed Delahanty - 9
      7. Mike Lieberthal - 2
      8. Richie Ashburn - 8
      9. Pitcher

Bench:
      Sherry Magee - OF: should be in the HoF.
      Bobby Abreu - OF
      Ryan Howard - 1B
      Dick Allen - CIF: it's him or Dave Hollins. I find both their personalities detrimental to a team. Allen is way better though.
      Jack Clements - C: LH catcher gotta have it and yea over Daulton I'll make that case all day.
      Tony Taylor - UT: has enough career WAR to merit being a utility player with experience as a pinch player compared to some former regulars.
      Jimmy Rollins - MIF

Rotation:
      1. Pete Alexander
      2. Steve Carlton
      3. Robin Roberts
      4. Roy Halladay
      5. Curt Schilling

Bullpen:
      RP - Steve Bedrosian
      RP - Jim Konstanty
      RP - Tug McGraw
      RP - Brad Lidge
      CL - Billy Wagner
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I'd have to find room for Boone at catcher and Bunning on the mound. Probably Boone over Clement and Bunning over Hamels.
        27 World Championships
        22 retired numbers
        Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
        Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Who would be the manager of this team? The late Dallas Green? The kindly, gentle Charlie Manuel? Or, even though he didn't win a WS for the Phillies, Pat Moran?

Why isn't Garry Maddox the back up to Ashburn? What was it Ralph Kiner once said of Maddox? "Two thirds of the earth is covered by water, the other third is covered by Garry Maddox."

Honorable mentions to Curt Simmons, Greg Luzinski, Pete Rose, Jim Thome and Gene Garber.

Comment

No mention of Chuck Klein at all? Come on guys inflated Baker Bowl stats or not, he's got to fit in here somewhere.
            Let's rid baseball of the pestilence of the DH now and forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Kroxquo View Post
              No mention of Chuck Klein at all? Come on guys inflated Baker Bowl stats or not, he's got to fit in here somewhere.
              Read BlueSky's post. Klein is in there.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X