Van Slyke vs. Bonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goooooo
    It was a rivalry. Andy was just jealous of bonds incredible baseball skills. Bonds is just an idiot who has beef with everyone. He had the same problems with kent.

i could be wrong but i don't think andy was jealous from the way he got along with all the other players, even one's better than him at the time, and never saw anything or read anything to substantiate that...again, i could be wrong but you were dead on about bonds being an egotistical ass. bonds problems with ken illustrates his arrogance and i was at the game in '98 that bonds got into a fight with his own pitcher, danny darwin.
    My agenda: to eliminate the double-standard that so many thrive on

WHAT WOULD BE A "REVOLUTION" WOULD BE ACTUALLY CLEANING UP YOUR OWN MESS AND PROBLEMS, TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROBLEMS YOU AND YOU ALONE CREATED AND STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS...NOW THAT'S A REVOLUTION.

The greatest men to use a wooden stick: Babe Ruth, Ted Willaims, Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Barry Bonds, Sydney Crosby and Buddy Rich

Comment

goooooo: bonds was an idiot.
      kent was jealous of bonds.

bonds had the problem with kent?

is this your claim?
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

did anybody see the story they did on sportscenter this morning (march 31) on Bonds in his Pittsburgh years?? They mentioned everything stated above including the parts about not getting along with Van Slyke because of a money issue. I was pretty young in those years so i dont remember it real well but i never knew how much of a jerk Bonds was on and off the field..all because he thought he deserved more money. Theres a team player if i ever saw one...:noidea

P.S. Leland told him how it was.
        "Just a reminder fans about "Die Hard Night" coming up at the stadium: free admission to anyone who was actually alive the last time the Pirates won a pennant"

Comment

Originally posted by Bucco Fanatic
          did anybody see the story they did on sportscenter this morning (march 31) on Bonds in his Pittsburgh years?? They mentioned everything stated above including the parts about not getting along with Van Slyke because of a money issue. I was pretty young in those years so i dont remember it real well but i never knew how much of a jerk Bonds was on and off the field..all because he thought he deserved more money. Theres a team player if i ever saw one...:noidea

P.S. Leland told him how it was.
          Darn, I missed that. Wonder if they will repeat the story...
          “I have an Alka Seltzer bat. You know, plop plop fizz fizz. When the pitcher sees me walking up there they say, 'Oh what a relief it is.'” - Andy Van Slyke during a hitting slump.

"They're making a movie about me. It's called The Summer of 4 to 3." - Andy Van Slyke on yet another hitting slump.

Comment

Originally posted by jfine
            Darn, I missed that. Wonder if they will repeat the story...
            Never mind, I found it on ESPN's website. I forgot about the story where Andy Van Slyke supposedly told Barry that he was out of position in the bottom of the 9th in Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS - he supposedly told Barry to move in for a play at the plate, and I had heard (although they didn't say this exactly in the story) that Barry basically told him "F*** You!" Of course we all know what happened after that, although I guess hindsight is 20/20...h
            “I have an Alka Seltzer bat. You know, plop plop fizz fizz. When the pitcher sees me walking up there they say, 'Oh what a relief it is.'” - Andy Van Slyke during a hitting slump.

"They're making a movie about me. It's called The Summer of 4 to 3." - Andy Van Slyke on yet another hitting slump.

Comment

I remember when Bonds hit a HR at Busch Stadium during his last year in Pittsburgh in 1992. Nobody on the bench got up and congratulated Bonds. His teammates wanted to make a statement, so they all just sat there as if he made an out and flat out ignored him. I doubt if Bonds cared.

Comment

According to the book "Love Me, Hate Me" by Jeff Pearlman, Bonds began his Pirate career in CF and when the Pirates traded for Van Slyke; Andy took over CF. From the very start Bonds became jealous of Van Slyke for taking "his" position away from him.
                My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                  According to the book "Love Me, Hate Me" by Jeff Pearlman, Bonds began his Pirate career in CF and when the Pirates traded for Van Slyke; Andy took over CF. From the very start Bonds became jealous of Van Slyke for taking "his" position away from him.
                  I read that book too. My favorite story was the one about Andy punching Barry after he became fed up with Barry's lazy baserunning (that cost them a run). Funny how no one came to Barry's defense during the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hoss Radbourn View Post
                    One of my friends came up through the Pirates system with Bonds and always hated him. So did most of his teammates. And this was when the only reason he had to be arrogant was being the son of Bobby Bonds and a high draft pick. And just the opposite of fine wine, he's gotten worse with age. :grouchy
                    In the book Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Anti-Hero by Jeff Pearlman, these isa story about Bonds' college days at ASU. His own ASU teammates voted to kick Bonds off the team. That there tells you what kind of person Bonds was and is today.
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Barry not getting congrats after hitting a HR was common when he was with the Giants.

The Giants hated him. Just despised him, to the point that nobody would room with him, or eat with him.

Barry engenders that type of dislike because he is a pompous, demanding, pampered player. If he had 1/10th the hustle of a guy like Van Slyke, he would not have even considered cheating.

Comment

With leadership like that it's no wonder they couldn't win in the NLCS during the Bonds-Bonilla era. There wasn't any "family" in the early 90's.

Anyway, as a Cardinal fan, I was ticked off when the Cardinals traded Andy to Pittsburgh for Tony Pena. Perhaps, because Andy opened up in Pittsburgh while Pena had an awful year (at the plate anyway - he was always solid defensively) in St. Louis in 1988. Tony had a better season the following year, but then, so did Van Slyke.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X