Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long-tme Pirates Infielder, Dick Cole Passes Away at 92.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-tme Pirates Infielder, Dick Cole Passes Away at 92.

Dick Cole (1926-2018) passed away on October 18 of this year, but there was a delay of reporting his death to Wikipedia, baseball-reference.com and other sources until today. He was 92. He ranked among the 40 oldest living MLB players until his passing (according to Wikipedia). Cole hit .249 in a 456 game career that was split almost evenly in MLB games between appearances as a third baseman, a shortstop and a second baseman. Cole debuted in the majors in 1951 with the St. Louis Cardinals, but was quickly traded after just a few weeks to the Pirates. He was with Pittsburgh almost through the end of his career, playing with them in 1951 and in 1953 through 1956. He spent the entire 1952 season with the Pirates' Pacific Coast League farm team, the Hollywood Stars He also spent a few weeks early in 1957 with the Milwaukee Braves, his final big leagues stop, but he was released long before the Braves won the National League pennant and defeated the New York Yankees in that year's World Series.
    As a kid I nicknamed him as "The Bespectacled One." He was one of the few major leaguers in the 1950s who always wore eyeglasses. He's wearing glasses in all of his Topps and Bowman baseball cards.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 11-30-2018, 11:56 PM.

I vaguely remember Cole from 1955 and 1956, when I first started following baseball. Like you, I remember that he wore glasses. He was one of several utility type players for the Pirates, along with Johnny and Eddie O'Brien

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
      I vaguely remember Cole from 1955 and 1956, when I first started following baseball. Like you, I remember that he wore glasses. He was one of several utility type players for the Pirates, along with Johnny and Eddie O'Brien
      Johnny O'Brien is still living and his 88th birthday is the day after tomorrow (Tuesday, December 11).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X