Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pittsburgh Pirates To Open a Team HOF Fame in 2020. Charter members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh Pirates To Open a Team HOF Fame in 2020. Charter members?

The Pittsburgh Pirates Team Hall Of Fame & Museum in the final touches stage and it will open in 2020.
    Here's some suggestions for its charter members:

Managers:
    Danny Murtaugh
    Jim Leyland
    Chuck Tanner

Catchers:
    Jason Kendall
    Manny Sanguillen
    Smokey Burgess
    Tony Pena
    Al Lopez

First Basemen
    Jake Beckley
    Willie Stargell (!B/OF)
    Richie Hebner (1B/3B)
    Dick Stuart
    Josh Bell*
    Jason Thompson

2B/SS/3B
    Bill Mazeroski
    Dick Bartell
    Wally Westlake
    Dick Groat
    Arky Vaughan
    Pie Traynor
    Honus Wagner
    Gene Alley
    Bob Elliott
    Bill Madlock
    Phil Garner
    Frank Gustine
    Tony Womack
    Bobby Bonilla
    Jeff King

Outfielders
    Roberto Clemente
    Ginger Beaumont
    Al Oliver (OF/1B)
    Dave Parker
    Frank Thomas
    Paul Waner
    Lloyd Waner
    Max Carey
    Bill Virdon
    Fred Clarke
    Ralph Kiner
    Vince Di Maggio
    Bob Skinner
    Matty Alou
    Barry Bonds
    Jason Bay
    Brian Giles
    Omar Moreno
    Tommy Leach
    Andrew McCutcheon*
    Starling Marte*
    Bryan Reynolds*
    Andy Van Slyke

Pitchers
    Wilbur Cooper
    Pud Galvin
    Bob Friend
    Vern Law
    Roy Face
    Babe Adams
    Jesse Tannehill
    John Candelaria
    Steve Blass
    Kent Tekulve
    Bert Blyleven
    Vic Willis
    Rip Sewell
    Rick Reuschel
    Mike Williams
    A.J. Burnett
    Jason Grilli
    Mark Melancon*
    Rick Rhoden
    Bob Walk
    Dock Ellis
    Rich 'Goose' Gossage
    Joel Hanrahan
    Bob Veale
    Harvey Haddix
    Jerry Reuss
    John Smiley
    Sam Leever
    Deacon Phillippe
    Gerrit Cole*
    Murry Dickson

Utility
    Josh Harrison*

Broadcasters
    Bob Prince

Sportswriters (Pirates Beat Reporters)
    Chuck Feeney

Owners/GMs/Executives
    John Galbraeth
    Barney Dreyfuss
    William Benswanger
    Joe E. Brown
    Harding Peterson

*Still Active

Who am I missing?
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 10-02-2019, 08:56 AM.

Nice list. Jason Thompson does not belong. He had one good year. Gossage had one year, period. Bob Walk? Blyleven was not in the HOF because of his time with the Pirates. Tommy Leach is a must add, same goes for Ginger Beaumont from the Honus Wagner era teams. You could argue Drabek over Smiley for the Bonds teams. Hebner was a 3B fwiw. Deacon Phillippe and Sam Leever may have as god a case as Jesse Tannehill from the Wagner teams.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
      Nice list. Jason Thompson does not belong. He had one good year. Gossage had one year, period. Bob Walk? Blyleven was not in the HOF because of his time with the Pirates. Tommy Leach is a must add, same goes for Ginger Beaumont from the Honus Wagner era teams. You could argue Drabek over Smiley for the Bonds teams. Hebner was a 3B fwiw. Deacon Phillippe and Sam Leever may have as god a case as Jesse Tannehill from the Wagner teams.
      Thanks to your suggestions I have added , Beaumont, Leach, Leever and Phillippe to the list - plus one other Pirate that I overlooked, Omar Moreno was also added.
      Last edited by philliesfiend55; 10-02-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

It looks like you've named about 90% of the reasonable candidates (plus a few unreasonable ones) for their entire HOF. I don't know how many will/should be charter members, but if it were my HOF I think I'd name no more than 15, maybe 20 the first year, then add 3-5 per year after that for the next x years.

Comment

Okay, here's what I would do.

2020 inaugural Class- 15 members

I'm numbering them, but it's not necessarily in order of merit.

1. Honus Wagner, SS- greatest Pirate, greatest shortstop in hitory
          2. Roberto Clemente, RF-great player, probably most revered Pirate by fans
          3. Willie Stargell, LF/1B- great slugger, also beloved by fans
          4. Paul Waner, RF- great right fielder from the past, one of greatest players in franchise history
          5. Bill Mazeroski, 2B- possibly greatest defensive 2B in ML history, World Series hero, extremely popular
          6. Pie Traynor, 3B- discounted by modern analyses, Traynor remains a legend in the Pittsburgh area, both as a player and for his later TV presence
          7, Ralph Kiner, LF- 7 consecutive home run crowns says it all
          8. Dick Groat- fine player, not a HOFer, but a Pittsburgh native, still alive, revered by fans- deserves to go in while he's still alive
          9. Roy Face, RP- one of the early firemen and a good one- highly regarded by fans- ditto Groat- honor him while he's still alive
          10. Wilbur Cooper, P- possibly the best of a somewhat indifferent crop of Pirates pitchers
          11. Bob Friend- tireless workhorse of the Pirates staff for 15 years- not a HOFer, but a very good pitcher for a long time- unfortunately died a couple of years ago
          12. Andrew McCutchen, CF- they need someone from the present/recent past and Cutch is probably the best choice. Great talent, played hard, looked like he was on a possible HOF path until leg injuries slowed him down. Bonds obviously was a greater player, but he's got plenty of baggage- I'd wait until the second or third round to put him in.
          13. Danny Murtaugh, manager- in my opinion the greatest Pirates manager and one of the best of all time- woefully overlooked
          14. Joe L. Brown, General Manager- long time GM, architect of the strong Pirates teams from the late 50s through the 70s.
          15. Bob Prince, announcer- he WAS the Pirates to countless Pirates fans from the early 50s through the mid-70s- a truly unique character, and one of the most entertaining announcers in baseball history.

I think this group does a good job of capturing the essence of the Pirates, and also represents them reasonably well over the decades. It's a little heavy on the 50s/60s- Clemente, Mazeroski, Groat, Friend, Face- but that was the time of the renaissance of Pirates baseball.

I'd then induct 3 or 4 new faces each year for the next 4 or 5 years, then probably 1 per year after that. In all likelihood nothing like my recommendations will happen.

For what it's worth:

Year 2

1. Arky Vaughan- great but nearly forgotten SS
          2. Fred Clarke- great but really forgotten LFer
          3, Kent Tekulve- great fan favorite, fine reliever
          4. Jim Leyland- managed Pirates renaissance teams of late 80s through early 90s

Year 3

1. Barry Bonds- gives fans enough time to settle down
          2. Vernon Law- teamed with Friend to give Pirates steady starting pitching for a decade
          3. Max Carey- another forgotten HOFer
          4. Chuck Tanner- popular manager with local ties- 79 WS champion

Year 4

1. Babe Adams- a very good pitcher from the earlier days
          2. Lloyd Waner- not as good as Paul, but a hit machine and a very good CFer
          3. Manny Sanguillen- star catcher of mid 60s to mid 70s
          4. Dave Parker- on a clear HOF path for about 4-5 years

Year 5

1. Bill Virdon- excellent defensive CFer, long-time coach and one-time manager of the Bucs
          2. Tommy Leach- excellent 3Bman from the early Pirates outstanding teams
          3. Brian Giles- short but outstanding run with Pirates
          4. Steve Blass- good pitcher until his mystery meltdown, longtime Bucs announcer
          Last edited by BigRon; 10-09-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Here are a few more candidates- not charter candidates- that you may have missed.

Dave Giusti, P
            Gus Suhr, 1B
            Don Clendenon, 1B
            Elbie Fletcher, 1B
            Richie Hebner, 3B
            Neal Walker, 2B
            Johnny Ray, 2B
            Remy Kremer, P

Lanny Frattare, announcer
            Rosie Rosewell, announcer

And, in my opinion, the best announcer the Pirates ever had-
            Jim "Possum" Woods
            Last edited by BigRon; 10-06-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X