Who Would You Hire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Would You Hire?

I realize that, no matter who the Pirates hire to run the front office and the dugout, Pittsburgh will struggle to win consistently unless ownership changes. That said, who would be your ideal candidate as the new GM? As the new manager? And who do you think they will actually hire for those positions?
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Might as well hire Wiz Khalifa and Antonio Brown.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

The Pirates hired Travis Williams as the new team president. This article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette implies that Bob Nutting had already effectively hired Williams before giving Frank Coonelly his walking papers. From what I've read of Williams, he is an attorney who worked his way up to COO of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins from 2008 forward. He has a previous relationship with Nutting due to his having performed legal assistance for Nutting when the latter purchased the franchise from prior owner Kevin McClatchy. Apparently the position of team president will continue not being the head of baseball operations for the Pirates (as it has become for so many other teams).

That leaves the GM and the manager yet to be replaced.

Kevan Graves, the Assistant GM under Neal Huntington has been Interim GM since Huntington's dismissal on October 28. Graves is running the front office until a permanent replacement is found. Graves was interviewed by the Giants for their GM position before they settled on Scott Harris (previously with the Chicago Cubs). That Farhan Zaidi wanted to interview Graves is a compliment to his abilities so it would appear he will manage things day-to-day competently, pending whatever directives he receives from Nutting and Williams, of course.

Nevertheless, a permanent replacement must be found and the only name I've seen connected with that search (besides Graves, himself) is former Boston Red Sox GM Ben Cherington (currently with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Managerial candidates are already being reached out to by Williams (not Graves) apparently, so one may be selected without input from the next GM.

As always, we won't know more until it happens.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

I moved away from the Pittsburgh area about 3 years ago, and have lost close contact with things related to the team. I don't want to sound like the typical Pittsburgher and blame everything on Nutting, but I do believe that management is put in very difficult positions by him. Nutting has consistently been among the lowest spenders since he gained ownership of the team. GMs are forced to do almost everything well to create opportunities for success. Overall, I thought Huntington did a pretty good job, given the tools he was provided. He had some failures- the big ones that come to mind are Alvarez- who I incorrectly thought would be a big time, long-term power hitter, trading Cole while he still had control, and perhaps the Archer deal, where Meadows and Glasnow both appear to be on the way to success. But, he also made a number of good deals, and drafted some quality players.

The problem is walking the tightrope and drafting well, developing well, trading well, and being a bit lucky- with little margin for error. Whoever takes this job will have their hands full- except with money. It will be tough.

Comment

It appears Ben Cherington is the next GM.

Comment

I would've liked Sig Mejdal as the GM and Girardi as manager lol

Comment

Sig would certainly have taken the job, but Girardi? I think not. I also doubt that Nutting would have been willing to pay top dollar for a "name" manager like that.

Comment

I would be surprised if the manager is someone with significant prior managing experience (at the MLB level).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X