Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0-6 already? What do you think the problem is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buczilla
    replied
    I was pushing for time last post. I also wanted to add these numbers:

#1 .132/.154/.211/.364
    #2 .345/.457/.517/.974
    #3 .333/.361/.606/.967
    #4 .300/.400/.433/.833
    #5 .273/.314/.364/.678
    #6 .273/.294/.455/.749
    #7 .345/.412/.517/.929
    #8 .172/.250/.276/.526
    #9 .310/.355/.517/.872

P .214/.214/.214/.429
    C .138/.194/.241/.435
    1B .294/.333/.559/.892
    2B .345/.412/.517/.929
    3B .294/.314/.471/.785
    SS .345/.457/.517/.974
    LF .345/.429/.483/.911
    CF .132/.154/.211/.364
    RF .281/.324/.375/.699

PH .400 .500 .800 1.300

Outside of a few slumps on offense, our boys have been playing some pretty good ball.

Leave a comment:

• Buczilla
    replied
    Control in every aspect of pitching has yet to be found.

Starters:
    40.1 IP, 49 H, 28 ER, 32 R, 7 HR, 24 BB, 34 K, 6.25 ERA, 1.81 WHIP

Relievers:
    25.2 IP, 33 H, 18 ER, 18 R, 5 HR, 14 BB, 20 K, 6.31 ERA, 1.83 WHIP

Opp H/BB -- Us
    Mil 6/5 -- 7/5
    Mil 16/3 -- 10/1
    Mil 6/7 -- 7/3
    Cin 13/4 -- 9/0
    Cin 10/6 -- 10/3
    Cin 12/6 -- 13/3
    Cin 7/3 -- 7/2
    LA 11/4 -- 14/2

That is good for a line of .309/.399/.513/.912 vs .272/.331/.428/.759

Not to be out done though, our offense can't seem to put it all together at the right time. Like when there is no outs, with runners on 2nd and 3rd....and Casey pops up to the catcher, Bay grounds out to the pitcher and Burnitz follows up a monster shot of a foul ball with a FO to right....inning over.

Our bats have been getting their fair share of opportunities but I blame it more so on pitching. Three losses were decided by one run, two more by two, one by three and last nights game by five....They pretty much been in every game.

A little more patience from our hitters, mixed in with better control from our pitchers would do a world of good/difference.

I think the young guys will be alright in due time. Duke, Maholm and Duffy I believe are trying to live up to their numbers of last year...meaning they are thinking about it....as soon as they settle down and go out and just have fun like they did last season(instead of pushing it), everything should be alright.

Ian Snell on the other hand has some big time control issues and I don't see him being in the starting rotation through out the course of the season, or very long for that matter. He is still fairly young at 24 though.

All and all, I think we have the right mix of youngsters and vets. I can't see us finishing with a record similar to last season, nor along this pace over the course of the entire season.

Leave a comment:

• BeatEmBucs
    replied
    Originally posted by Pghfan987
    I gotta say though, if I was the manager, I would at least try putting Jason Bay in centerfield, Craig Wilson in left and Burnitz in right. I know that this would substantially weaken the defense, but you can't have a guy hitting .100 in the lineup everyday (Duffy). He and McClouth are not bad, but I don't see great potential in either of them. I want to win now, and I think that putting Craig Wilson in the lineup gives us the best chance. I would have no problem with trading Craig, but the Pirates just aren't good enough to have a 30 home run kind of guy (when healthy) sitting on the bench.
    Good point. Seems Craig would make a perfect DH. Interesting outfield proposal, but I worry about field coverage with both Burnitz and Craig. Duffy and McLouth have speed and cover a lot of ground (as evidenced by Duffy's running catch to end the 7th today) and J-Bay has speed, but is a little slower than Duffy and McLouth which may be the difference between a ball being caught, or a ball falling in for a hit. Of course Duffy has been a liability so far in the leadoff spot. That strikeout amount is reserved for the 3-5 spots in the lineup (and most guys that strike out a lot make up for it by hitting homers) and Duffy has been swinging at a lot of bad pitches in the first week. If Duffy continues to struggle, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jack leading off, and Duffy hitting 6th or 7th in the order.

As for the Bucs struggles this week, I pin most of the blame on the bullpen. Except for Ollie Saturday, the starters gave 5-6 decent innings, and the pen was unable to hold the fort, or they dug the hole deeper. I'd like to think today's game will signal a turnaround. Of course the lack of clutch hitting, and leaving runners stranded has also been a concern. Then there's the unavoidable "bad luck" that happened this week, that caused Turnbow's glove to be right in the spot Sanchez hit the ball, the inches that Joe Randa missed Fielders blooper, and the inch of grass between Duffy and Adam Dunns hit Thursday that the umps originally called out, but overturned after conferring. The Bucs haven't got many breaks, and the Bucs are gonna need every break they can get to end the losing this year. It's still early though, and maybe the 10 game homestand will provide a spark.

Leave a comment:

• Pghfan987
    replied
    Call me a crazy optimist, but I am not that concerned (it's a little easier to say that after their first win). I think that Casey, Bay, and Burnitz could be one of the most productive middle-of-the-orders the Pirates have had in a while. Jose Castillo is off to a good start.

I gotta say though, if I was the manager, I would at least try putting Jason Bay in centerfield, Craig Wilson in left and Burnitz in right. I know that this would substantially weaken the defense, but you can't have a guy hitting .100 in the lineup everyday (Duffy). He and McClouth are not bad, but I don't see great potential in either of them. I want to win now, and I think that putting Craig Wilson in the lineup gives us the best chance. I would have no problem with trading Craig, but the Pirates just aren't good enough to have a 30 home run kind of guy (when healthy) sitting on the bench.

If the pitching does as well as it should, I think the Bucs could be just fine.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Solair Wright
    started a topic 0-6 already? What do you think the problem is?

0-6 already? What do you think the problem is?

I thought this team would win today, but the Pirates, despite with Jim Tracy and his winning-formula coaching staff, takes its 6th loss of the season - and first time this happened in their history, if I recall. Is this the Curse of Barry Bonds that Bucs fans say? (12 going on 13 consecutive losing seasons)

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X