2012 Pirates Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
    Could A.J. Burnett become a knuckleball pitcher?
    Why would he need to go and do that?

Since you brought him up, it's been awhile since I touched on AJ. In forums around the internet they speak as if he was still shooting with blanks for the Yankees, that couldn't be further from the truth. Taking AJ's stats at face value does him no justice, nor does it tell you anything.

It would be to easy to write off AJ's 10-2 season, with a 3.68 ERA and am ERA+ of 103 just by going off his 4.9 run support number or just looking at either of those ERA figures, or even that 1.301 WHIP. Here is what those numbers don't tell you.... In the 15 games AJ has pitched he has given up 3 or less runs in all but 2 of them. He has given up 0 ER four times, 2 runs seven times and 3 runs twice. That is 20 runs he has given up in 13 games. Again, that is all but two of his starts.

In those remaining two games he was smacked for 18 runs in 7.2 innings of work. Screw all the yip yap.... He has an ERA of 2.11 with a WHIP of 1.102 outside of those two games.

What else the boxscore or a basic glance of the stat sheet doesn't show you is that the Pirates have won 13 out of 15 Burnett starts....12 of them in a row for that matter. The Pirates haven't lost a single game at home when he has pitched(9 games).

This is why you will find another group of posters on other sites(this one included) who are aligned with other teams proclaiming that AJ should have been an All Star and AJ is one of the best pitchers in the league. He and this is a perfect example of why you can't just take stats at face value.

AJ is having a great season. Not only has this investment paid off on the mound, but the impact of his presence has paid off 10 fold off the mound. This might be Cutch's team and it is easy to label ones best player the leader, but Cutch is a lead by example type of guy and he has stated as such numerous times. AJ has been the true leader of the Pirates since the first day he stepped in the clubhouse. Having him around is like having a second manager.

The knuck, really?
    Last edited by Buczilla; 07-09-2012, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
      Can't argue with those selections, Tony Watson has also had a strong season, and as the lone pen Lefty, has been very valuable.

It sure doesn't seem that it was just 2 years ago the Bucs had 57 wins for the season. It sure makes 48 wins at the All Star Break all the more sweeter. Clint often talked about "finishing" during Spring Training. Now's the time to "finish", and I think the Bucs will this year. LETS GO BUCS!!
      Our whole pen in general has been excellent(best in the majors). Grilli's K/9 of 14.4 did it for me.

Hurdle has the team believing they can win every game and he has me sold as well.

Cmon boys, lets get the coach some hardware too. Finish....

Comment

The only thing that worries me about the Bucs having a strong season is how they're going to be able to afford keeping the aces of their pitching staff. 4 of the 5 starters have 1 year contracts, and so does Hanrahan.

Honestly, if the Pirates really want to build a winning team, they're going to have to loosen the purse strings. Look at McDonald, who's having an excellent season so far. He's making $502,000 this season. What's it going to cost to keep him until the young Bucs in the minors are ready?

Comment

Originally posted by KG Erwin View Post
          The only thing that worries me about the Bucs having a strong season is how they're going to be able to afford keeping the aces of their pitching staff. 4 of the 5 starters have 1 year contracts, and so does Hanrahan.

Honestly, if the Pirates really want to build a winning team, they're going to have to loosen the purse strings. Look at McDonald, who's having an excellent season so far. He's making $502,000 this season. What's it going to cost to keep him until the young Bucs in the minors are ready?
          The Buccos have AJ for another year, he is not in our long term plans. Bedard and Correia can't get off the books fast enough. Karstens and McDonald are still arbitration eligible. We have 4 pitchers who will be up here at some point from now until next summer....Rudy Owens, Jeff Locke and Justin Wilson(Garrett Cole by next summer). Behind them we have works in progress who are a few years away still.

The Hammer can be replaced, but he has a year of arbitration left. Closers are overrated in my opinion, unless ones name is Mariano Rivera. In the whole history of the game when a team takes a lead into the 9th inning, they win 90+ percent of the time. The Buccos are 41-0 when they take a lead into the 8th inning. Grilli has been boss, but peep his track record. He has finally put it all together just before turning 36. Lincoln can hold it down, plus we have reinforcements coming this way as well. With two sure spots left open in the starting rotation, two listed above will be seeing plenty of pen time.

The Bucs will have plenty of money to throw at their arbitration eligible pitchers. Don't think they will take care of McDonald, Karstens and whoever else is worth holding on to? See Paul Maholm, see the money thrown at Bedard and Correia to begin with.

Comment

44 strikeouts in 3 games, what a way to come full circle.

Comment

Pirates are a team that could land Ryan Dempster. If the Whitesox dont get him I hope the Pirates do. I guess Theo Epsten has a good relationship with the Pirates GM.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

14 days till the trade deadline. This is the deadline that is truly gonna define our front office. There are no more excuses to be had.

Comment

With the trade deadline looming and Buczilla not digging the Presley-Harrison 1-2 punch, nor the placing of Sutton at the top of the lineup previously. Walker batting second should be as much of a given as Cutch batting 3rd. I got to wondering what the Buccos were getting out of their lineup and position players compared to the rest of the league.

Here is what it looks like.... MLB averages are first, NL second and Pirates third.

1st
                  .261/.324/.390/.714
                  .257/.318/.382/.701
                  .225/.270/.357/.626
                  2nd
                  .262/.323/.392/.714
                  .273/.332/.396/.728
                  .268/.314/.436/.750
                  3rd
                  .277/.356/.469/.824
                  .286/.360/.475/.835
                  .360/.411/.620/1.031
                  4th
                  .269/.344/.458/.802
                  .269/.343/.458/.801
                  .238/.287/.385/.672
                  5th
                  .261/.322/.438/.760
                  .259/.323/.431/.754
                  .262/.339/.383/.722
                  6th
                  .253/.321/.414/.735
                  .254/.322/.408/.731
                  .236/.300/.459/.759
                  7th
                  .253/.312/.409/.721
                  .248/.306/.402/.708
                  .244/.292/.396/.688
                  8th
                  .243/.305/.368/.674
                  .243/.306/.369/.675
                  .220/.269/.388/.657
                  9th
                  .203/.259/.298/.557
                  .177/.231/.255/.486
                  .136/.196 /.176/.372

C
                  .248/.316/.400/.716
                  .252/.321/.405/.726
                  .222/.296 /.416/.712
                  1B
                  .257/.333/.436/.769
                  .262/.335/.436/.771
                  .244/.299/.404/.703
                  2B
                  .257/.319/.383/.702
                  .262/.322 /.391/.713
                  .288/.357/.412/.770
                  3B
                  .259/.321/.416/.737
                  .259/.324/.417/.742
                  .243/.312/.514/.827
                  SS
                  .256/.309/.375/.684
                  .257/.310 /.382/.692
                  .205/.237 /.281/.518
                  LF
                  .265/.333/.438/.770
                  .272/.334/.437/.772
                  .202/.246/.333/.579
                  CF
                  .268/.333/.418/.750
                  .263/.330 /.402/.732
                  .368/.417/.632/1.049
                  RF
                  .264/.331/.444/.775
                  .264/.334/.447/.781
                  .259/.296 /.430/.727
                  P
                  .129/.167/.160/.327
                  .130/.169/.163/.333
                  .112/.146/.112 /.257
                  PH
                  .229/.308/.371/.679
                  .238/.316/.383/.699
                  .198/.283/.255/.538

Comment

Another home sweep! Bucs take care of business with a 3-0 win.Karstens strong after a shaky start, Cutch with 2 more hits, and Pedro with another homer in the sunlight! 21st overall, 14th in the daytime which leads the Majors! Provided much needed insurance. 54-40 now! Bring on the Cubs! LETS GO BUCS!!
                    LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

With all the winning they have been doing this year, it is hard to believe this is the first time they pulled 5 W's off in a row. Glad to see Jordy getting some PT this time around.

Comment

In honor of Neal's 50th trade, here is a flashback.

Traded Salomon Torres to the Milwaukee Brewers. Received Kevin Roberts (minors) and Marino Salas.

Traded Todd Redmond (minors) to the Atlanta Braves. Received Tyler Yates.

Traded Kyle Pearson (minors) to the Detroit Tigers. Received Denny Bautista.

Traded Damaso Marte and Xavier Nady to the New York Yankees. Received Jeff Karstens, Daniel McCutchen, Ross Ohlendorf and Jose Tabata.

As part of a 3-team trade, traded Jason Bay to the Boston Red Sox. Received Bryan Morris (minors) and Andy LaRoche from the Los Angeles Dodgers and Craig Hansen and Brandon Moss from the Boston Red Sox. In addition, the Boston Red Sox sent Manny Ramirez to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Traded Jose Bautista to the Toronto Blue Jays. Received a player to be named later. The Toronto Blue Jays sent Robinzon Diaz (August 25, 2008) to the Pittsburgh Pirates to complete the trade.

Traded Ronny Paulino to the Philadelphia Phillies. Received Jason Jaramillo.

Traded players to be named later to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Delwyn Young. The Pittsburgh Pirates sent Eric Krebs (minors) (May 22, 2009) and Harvey Garcia (August 1, 2009) to the Los Angeles Dodgers to complete the trade.

Traded Andy Phillips to the Chicago White Sox. Received Michael Dubee (minors).

Traded Romulo Sanchez to the New York Yankees. Received Eric Hacker.

Traded Nate McLouth to the Atlanta Braves. Received Gorkys Hernandez (minors), Jeff Locke and Charlie Morton.

Traded Sean Burnett and Nyjer Morgan to the Washington Nationals. Received Joel Hanrahan and Lastings Milledge.

Traded Eric Hinske and cash to the New York Yankees. Received Casey Erickson (minors) and Eric Fryer.

Traded Adam LaRoche to the Boston Red Sox. Received Hunter Strickland (minors) and Argenis Diaz.

Traded Ian Snell and Jack Wilson to the Seattle Mariners. Received Aaron Pribanic (minors), Brett Lorin (minors), Nathan Adcock, Ronny Cedeno and Jeff Clement.

Traded Freddy Sanchez to the San Francisco Giants. Received Tim Alderson (minors).

Traded Tom Gorzelanny and John Grabow to the Chicago Cubs. Received Jose Ascanio, Josh Harrison and Kevin Hart.

Traded Mike Koplove to the Seattle Mariners. Received Deybis Benitez (minors).

Traded Jesse Chavez to the Tampa Bay Rays. Received Akinori Iwamura.

Traded Brian Bixler to the Cleveland Indians. Received Jesus Brito (minors).

Traded Virgil Vasquez to the Tampa Bay Rays. Received player to be named.

Traded Jonathan Van Every to the Boston Red Sox. Received player to be named.

Traded Josue Peley (minors) to the Boston Red Sox. Received Jonathan Van Every.

Traded Ronald Uviedo (minors) to the Toronto Blue Jays. Received Dana Eveland.

Traded player to be named to the Cleveland Indians. Received Brian Bixler.

Traded D.J. Carrasco, Ryan Church and Bobby Crosby to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Received Pedro Ciriaco, Chris Snyder and cash.

Traded Octavio Dotel and cash to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Andrew Lambo (minors) and James McDonald.

Traded Javier Lopez to the San Francisco Giants. Received John Bowker and Joe Martinez.

Traded Brandon Jones to the Detroit Tigers. Received player to be named .

Traded Luke Carlin to the Cleveland Indians. Received player to be named .

Traded Travis Chick to the Texas Rangers. Received future considerations.

Traded Zach Duke to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Received a player to be named later. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Cesar Valdez (December 9, 2010) to the Pittsburgh Pirates to complete the trade.

Traded Joe Martinez to the Cleveland Indians. Received player to be named or cash.

Traded Josh Fields to the Colorado Rockies. Received player to be named or cash.

Traded player to be named or cash to the Boston Red Sox. Received Michael McKenry.

Traded player to be named to the Cincinnati Reds. Received Steven Jackson.

Traded player to be named or cash to the Washington Nationals. Received Miguel Perez.

Traded Cesar Valdez to the Florida Marlins. Received player to be named or cash.

Traded Aaron Baker (minors) to the Baltimore Orioles. Received Derrek Lee.

Traded player to be named or cash to the San Diego Padres. Received Ryan Ludwick.

Traded Miguel Perez to the Washington Nationals. Received future considerations.

Traded Tim Wood to the Texas Rangers. Received player to be named or cash.

Traded John Bowker to the Philadelphia Phillies. Received player to be named or cash.

Traded Matt Diaz to the Atlanta Braves. Received a player to be named later. The Atlanta Braves sent Eliecer Cardenas (minors) (September 20, 2011) to the Pittsburgh Pirates to complete the trade.

Traded Brooks Pounders (minors) and Diego Goris (minors) to the Kansas City Royals. Received Yamaico Navarro.

Traded Jose Veras to the Milwaukee Brewers. Received Casey McGehee.

Traded Diego Moreno (minors) and Exicardo Cayones (minors) to the New York Yankees. Received A.J. Burnett and cash.

Traded Ryota Igarashi to the Toronto Blue Jays. Received player to be named or cash.

Traded Brian Tallet to the San Diego Padres. Received player to be named or cash.

Comment

Starling Marte being called up. Should be official tomorrow.
                          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                            Starling Marte being called up. Should be official tomorrow.
                            You know I do not understand why they will not promote Clement. McGahee sucks at PNC and he can't hit righties this season for whatever reason. I don't understand why the Bucs continue to stick with the worst every day hitting SS in all of baseball or why Mercer can't be given a fair shot at taking the job away from him. Jordy starts hitting and we bench him. WTH?

Unless Marte goes bonkers out the door the fans are gonna turn on him and his hacking ways faster than you can say Anbesol. Starling doesn't know what patience is. I still would like to see them make a play for an OFer with pop.
                            Last edited by Buczilla; 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buczilla View Post
                              You know I do not understand why they will not promote Clement. McGahee sucks at PNC and he can't hit righties this season for whatever reason. I don't understand why the Bucs continue to stick with the worst every day hitting SS in all of baseball or why Mercer can't be given a fair shot at taking the job away from him. Jordy starts hitting and we bench him. WTH?

Unless Marte goes bonkers out the door the fans are gonna turn on him and his hacking ways faster than you can say Anbesol. Starling doesn't know what patience is. I still would like to see them make a play for an OFer with pop.
                              Jeff Clement... now there's a name I haven't heard in years. I didn't even realize he was still in the Pirates' system. I agree though. Barajas is a stiff and has been getting outplayed by McKenry. I didn't like the Barmes signing when it happened. I just refuse to see signing a utility player to a multi-year deal - and at $5M per, it's just not smart spending of limited funds. Mercer at least gives the Bucs a player with some upside.

Just imagine if the Pirates saved the $12M they spent on Barajas, Barmes and McLouth and used it to sign Willingham, Cuddyer or Kubel instead and found cheaper (or in-house) options at C & SS.

Unfortunately, the Pirates aren't spenders. What often happens in the offseason is that they're left to choose from the scraps and even then they need to overpay in order to lure a player their way. It happened here in Philly thru the 90s and early 00s. Being that, the team then tends to give too much playing time to these marginal players simply to justify the sunk cost.

I used to love the Bucs/Phils rivalry when I was a kid. I used to love to hate Ed Ott and Bruce Kison. But I've always respected their once great history. I'd really like to see them get back to that and really become relevant once more.

BTW, I heard thru some local beat writer twitter feeds that the Pirates may have talked to the Phillies about Hunter Pence and Shane Victorino.
                              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Kind of an intriguing article here... InsidePittsburghSports.com Perrotto

Personally, I'd rather work something a bit different. I'd rather see a third team get involved where Pence moves to the Bucs, Marte moves to San Diego and Chase Headley goes to Philly. Philly and/or Pitt would maybe have to swing another 1-2 lesser parts to SD. But I think that's the kind of deal that works for all three sides.

I've been a fan of Headley since the day he was drafted and the Philly's took a 3B stiff instead. I'd like to see him here. Pence gives the Bucs that extra power bat in the lineup and would fit nicely at #5 behind McCutchen & Alvarez.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X