Padres trade Yonder Alonso and Mark Rzepczynski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padres trade Yonder Alonso and Mark Rzepczynski

The Padres don't lose much with Rzepczynski, as he had a 7.36 ERA for them. Alonso, a former top prospect who has yet to pan out, also is not a huge loss. The guys they get in return have some upside though — Pomeranz was also once a top prospect, plus he's still pretty young, and Torres is still a prospect. I think this could be a win for the Padres.

Three of the four players the A's and Padres exchanged today were arbitration eligible and today happens to be the deadline for tendering contracts to arbitration eligible players. Coincidence? I think not. The Padres have sent Yonder Alonso and Marc Rzepczynski to the A's and got back Drew Pomeranz, Jose Torres and a player to be named later or cash. Yonder Alonso, Marc Rzepczynski and Drew Pomeranz are all arbitration eligible. Certainly, the player with a clock ticking before today's deadline was Rzepczynski. A couple months ago, I discussed MLBTR's salary projections for arbitration eligible players and flagged the lefty reliever as a possible non-tender candidate. The other option would be to find a home for him with a team willing to pay his projected $3M salary. That's what the Padres did today.

Read more:

http://www.gaslampball.com/2015/12/2...to-as-for-drew

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X