No announcement yet.

Why do we even bother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't the real issue whether or not the HOF decides to completely devalue itself by enshrining chemical era anomalies?

Bonds, for better or worse, by simple association alone has put himself in an untenable position if the HOF decides its existence & relativity depends not only on the quality of the product it offers but also on the unquestionable purity of achievement.

There's ample precedent in the cases of Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete Rose to indicate the HOF can and will exclude those who might ultimately cloud the legacy they maintain.

Does this mean Bonds is guilty as charged?
    Certainly not.
    Does this mean he can ignore the allegations and get into the HOF?
    I think that issue has yet to be decided.
    The Phillies Barstool Lives!

Comment

• The problem is, how far do they go back for the "known" users, and with no testing, where's the cutoff line? I think their attitude is to just try and go from here, and do the best they can. Which isn't good at all without HGH being tested for, and with newer and better things being created all the time.
      They need some sort of special forces task unit to infiltrate the lab scene. A mole or two on the inside who can give baseball or whoever a heads up on things.

All the guys that will have clouds will get in regardless of how much steroids helped them. But it's up to the general public and knowledgable baseball men to put players' careers into perspective with the era and their steroid use. We don't need an asterisk for 61, because we know the deal. Just like we'll know the deal about these guys.

I care that Bonds is a [jerk] on a certain level, but it's not that big of a deal. He is what he is. It's the position he's in, how he's come to be in that position, and what his actions will mean generations down the line that bothers me. If it were Sosa, or Mac, or Giambi, or Sheffield, or Juan Gonzalez, or anyone, I'd feel the same. That's how I know that Bonds' personality isn't the main issue with me.

He's made his own bed though. When he goes into the HOF, if Bonds is lucky enough to have a special room dedicated to him, there will be whispers, and there will be the constant mention of "cheating," of "steroids," and "balco." That is the legacy he's chosen, and is perhaps the next best thing to having cream bottles, needles, a size 9 hat, and his pre-2000 stats posted inside the casing.
      Last edited by west coast orange and black; 01-31-2006, 09:12 AM. Reason: vulgar language

Comment

• That is the legacy he's chosen, and is perhaps the next best thing to having cream bottles, needles, a size 9 hat, and his pre-2000 stats posted inside the casing.
        After launching is own reality TV Show its rumored Bonds will be selling advertising space on that huge dome of his.
        I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

• to your original question, giantsalltheway, of what to do with posts such as the one above:

remind them that it is considered very bad form to trash on another team's forum.
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

• Hey, you losers with nothing to do but to bash the great Barry Bonds! Yeah, I'm speaking to you!! It's very bad form to talk trash on another team's forum!!! And don't forget that!!! Because I'll...I'll...
            sigpic

Comment

• dude.
              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

• Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                to your original question, giantsalltheway, of what to do with posts such as the one above:

remind them that it is considered very bad form to trash on another team's forum.
                Perhaps - but how can you be sure I'm not a huge Giants fan, and in here trashing my own team?

I'm sorry. I'll go away now.
                Last edited by Androctus; 02-02-2006, 10:42 AM.
                I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

• no way for me to be sure about you, specificly, androctus. but by the look of your posts in the phillies forum you are either a phillies fan or a giants fan who's lost his compass.

no need to go away. but it is bad form to go bombs-away on other teams on their home turf.

Comment

no way for me to be sure about you, specificly, androctus. but by the look of your posts in the phillies forum you are either a phillies fan or a giants fan who's lost his compass.
                    That is purely circumstantial evidence and will never hold up in any forum of law. And thers no such thing as a Philly fan. We watch with the same intent and amusement a dog watches his master try to put up a satellite dish by himself, knowing he's going to fall off the roof, but are powerless to help him...

no need to go away. but it is bad form to go bombs-away on other teams on their home turf.
                    You'll have to forgive me, because coming from the Philly forum the opposite is true. We have a hard time when a stranger walks in and starts trumpeting the brilliance of our team and most specifically our management.

So anyway for you Giants die hards whats the word on the reality show? Would any of you honestly have any interest whatsoever in watching such a thing?
                    Last edited by Androctus; 02-02-2006, 12:09 PM.
                    I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

• it would hold up in this giant forum of law.

no reason to hafta rely on a filtered *reality show* when the unfiltered info is available elsewhere.

Comment

• androctus: We have a hard time when a stranger walks in and starts trumpeting the brilliance of our team and most specifically our management.

this has actually happened?

Comment

• What I didn't know WCOB was that the Phillies actually had someone in management of the team!

KH14
                          “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

androctus: We have a hard time when a stranger walks in and starts trumpeting the brilliance of our team and most specifically our management.

this has actually happened?
                            Oh sure. Anybody want to take Bobby Abreu off our hands?
                            I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

• Has the thread question been answered yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                                Has the thread question been answered yet?
                                Yes, what I asked was answered in the first few responses. It has just carried on and on and on and, well, etc.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X