Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did the Giants pass up on drafting Mike Mussina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHenry14
    replied
    BTW, if you take a look at that list, only about a third of the players selected in that round had any real career in the Bigs. Speaks volumes about how hard it is to judge talent.

KH14

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by giantsalltheway16
    I know for a fact that the Baseball Cube doesn't have a lot of minor league stats before the previous few years. He definitely signed with the Giants and played in the minors, but apparently they don't have that info yet.
    Oh, I see.

Leave a comment:

• Dravecky43
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
    There's something wrong with Christopherson's stats. It shows that he didn't begin his professional career until 1997. :noidea
    I know for a fact that the Baseball Cube doesn't have a lot of minor league stats before the previous few years. He definitely signed with the Giants and played in the minors, but apparently they don't have that info yet.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    did we have the same coach?

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    and oooh, "potential". what has that meant, in the end, for so many?
    One of my High School coaches used to say "Potential doesn't mean *bleep*, it's what you do on the field that counts"

And he's got a point...

KH14

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    thanx for that info, wags.

Here are Hyzdu's career minor league and major league stats...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...am-hyzdu.shtml

and Christopherson's...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...opherson.shtml

There's something wrong with Christopherson's stats. It shows that he didn't begin his professional career until 1997. :noidea

Leave a comment:

• Dravecky43
    replied
    I think I have a rookie/draft pick card of Christopherson. All I can remember right now is that he was 21 and from San Diego State. I'll have to find the card and tell some more.

Leave a comment:

replied
    thanx for that info, wags.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    "the giants could have done better than hyzdu and christopherson."

i barely remember hyzdu and can not recall anything of the other guy. :grouchy
    Hyzdu played at the same high school as Ken griffey, Jr. He replaced Griffey in CF when Griffey graduated from high school and broke Griffey's high school HR record. Supposedly he had the best power potential of all the high schoolers coming out in 1990. He never did much in the Giant's farm system. I know he's had several cups of coffee in the majors but has never stuck. He's mainly been a pinch hitter and backup outfielder.

Leave a comment:

replied
    "the giants could have done better than hyzdu and christopherson."

i barely remember hyzdu and can not recall anything of the other guy. :grouchy

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    Drafting in any sport is a crap shoot. Guys blow out arms, lose interest, whatever and never pan out. And who's to say that Mussina would have developed the same way had the Giants picked him? But needless to say, the Giants could have done better than Hyzdu and Christopherson. :noidea

KH14

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by KCGHOST
    He wasn't MIKE MUSSINA then. He was just some unproven young college pitcher then.
    By definition all drafted prospects are "unproven". I remember that year because of Van Poppel. He was supposed to be the next NolanRyan/Roger Clemens. Van Poppel was even from Texas. He dropped in the draft because of "signability" issues. He was supposed to be the top pick but the Braves picked Jones instead. At the time most considered the Braves just "settled" for Jones. Of course Jones has had a great career. Van Poppel fizzled because he never really got the chance to develop in the minors.

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    He wasn't MIKE MUSSINA then. He was just some unproven young college pitcher then.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    a 1993 model mussina would'a propelled the giants over the atlanta braves in baseball's last pure pennant race, for sure, wags. it is painful, yer right, to consider what might'a been.

although what youngsters trevor wilson, jeff brantley, terry mullholland, kelly downs, dennis cook and john burkett actually delivered in the early 90s was pretty decent, for the most part, maybe the giants were relying on/hoping for just a little bit more. say, one more stinkin' win.

. . . . . . .

another way of looking at it, if only as a reminder that nothing in baseball is ever is guaranteed (especially with pitchers) are the careers of the pitchers selected before mussina.
    Very True, only Alex Fernandez was really any good in the majors. It's not like Mussina wasn't a known quanitity. He was a starting pitcher at Stanford and didn't he play on Stanford's 1988 College World Series champion?

Leave a comment:

replied
    a 1993 model mussina would'a propelled the giants over the atlanta braves in baseball's last pure pennant race, for sure, wags. it is painful, yer right, to consider what might'a been.

although what youngsters trevor wilson, jeff brantley, terry mullholland, kelly downs, dennis cook and john burkett actually delivered in the early 90s was pretty decent, for the most part, maybe the giants were relying on/hoping for just a little bit more. say, one more stinkin' win.

. . . . . . .

another way of looking at it, if only as a reminder that nothing in baseball is ever is guaranteed (especially with pitchers) are the careers of the pitchers selected before mussina.
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 01-23-2006, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X