sixth in series - the outfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sixth in series - the outfield

this is the sixth in a series of 7 weekly stories on mlb.com examining the giants, position by position.

outfielders

"It all comes down to No. 25. Again.

"Barry Bonds' 41-year-old knees are at the heart -- well, make that ligaments and cartilage -- of the Giants' 2006 season, and if those creaky old bones can stay viable, so will San Francisco."
    -rich draper, mlb.com

here is the story

and in case you missed 'em, here are the 5 prior mlb.com installments on the giants:

the starting rotation

relief pitching

catching

corner infielders

middle infielders
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 02-10-2006, 09:00 AM.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

bonds is expected to be bonds... except the giants have warned us to expect him to start in about 110 games. i got him down for 130 starts, and playing in 145.

if winn shows a hefty percentage of what he did in the latter months of last season, i say offer that dude an extended contract.

hopefully, alou will stay off the disabled list. if so, and he starts 130 games, he will be an adequate #5.

good things will come from finley if he stays healthy. if any one of these guys goes down for an extended length, the giants are in trouble.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Well, on paper, the first 4 guys are all solid players with Bonds obviously being a superstar. But three of them are 40, which means injuries are always a possibility. Finley's history indicates that last year's problem were unusual, so there's some hope there. But if they stay healthy this could be a major strength of the team.

All in all I think I'll be having my fingers crossed all season about these guys.

KH14
      “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X