Heliot Ramos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heliot Ramos

Heliot Ramos was the Giants #1 pick (#19 overall) last month. I've been researching this kid and something about him makes me feel he's going to be the big time star outfielder the Giants have lacked for years.

He's from Puerto Rico and he's only 17 years old (turns 18 on Sept. 7) so he several years away from the major leagues.

Here's a scouting reports.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...bo-puerto-rico

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/2109608...ool-outfielder

Here's Ramos talking at AT&T Park after he signed.

http://www.knbr.com/2017/06/27/giant...-heliot-ramos/

An interview with Ramos.

Grant Bissbee chimes in about Ramos. In the last 40 years the Giants have picked a high school outfielder in the first round just four times.

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/20...2017-mlb-draft

Ramos signed quickly with the Giants for just over $3 million. He's currently playing in the Arizona League and is crushing the ball so far hitting .425/.500/.850 in 10 games. Here is some video of him from last week. If he continues to crush the ball I wonder if the Giants will promote to short-season Salem-Kiezer in Oregon?

Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 07-24-2017, 12:10 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

He's a big kid, and he uses his body well in his swing. I'd give him some rope and let him go to Salem.

Oh and I like how he already knows how to plant his foot outside the batters box!
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

I'm thinking give him 25-30 games in Arizona and if he's still pounding the ball send him to Salem-Kiezer in early August. If that happens and he does well there perhaps he starts 2018 at low-A Augusta.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I'm betting he is in San Jose by this time next year
        “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

That would rock KH! An 18 year old in the Cal League is pretty rare. Yesterday he had a 4 hit game with 3 runs and 4 RBI. In 15 games he's now hitting .397/.449/.778, 3 HR, 12 RBI, 19 runs, 7 doubles, 4 triples, 5 SB, 5 BB, 19 K.

Comment

If he continues to kill it in the AZL, no point in having him stay there. Lets get him to Salem and then to Augusta!

Comment

I'm wondering if the Giants are waiting for Ramos to get 100+ plate appearances? He's absolutely killing it hitting .397/.446/.750 in 74 plate appearances.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                I'm wondering if the Giants are waiting for Ramos to get 100+ plate appearances? He's absolutely killing it hitting .397/.446/.750 in 74 plate appearances.
                I hate round numbered thinking!! Just because 100 is a easy number to remember, it doesn't have any real meaning. Same with 100 pitch counts. Each players "number" is different. Yet if a pitcher goes past that number managers get second guessed, and managers hate that.

If they are holding the kid till 100, there better be a good reason, since he clearly has figured out the pitching where he is.
                Last edited by KHenry14; 07-27-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Ramos went 1 for 6 with 4 K's yesterday. It seems he a very aggressive hitter with 26 K's and just 5 walks so far. He hasn't drawn a walk since July 7th! Since his last walk he has 20 K's. He needs to work on that.

Comment

Not really surprised the kid is overly aggressive. Being a patient hitter takes time and good coaching. The good ones all learn this eventually.

Comment

Yeah, I think he's so young and I bet he has dominated baseball since he was kid being aggressive at the plate. It's not an issue yet since he's dominating in rookie ball. It won't be an issue until high A or AA ball. But with more experience and good coaching he should get better.

Comment

It looks like Ramos has hit his first slump. In his last 10 games he's 8 for 36 (.232 BA) with 15 K's and 1 walk. He's 0 for 12 in his last 4 games,

Comment

Kid's gotta adjust, it'll be interesting to see if he does

Comment

Ramos 5 hits 5 RBI in last 3 games...

Comment

I have a Feeling that Ramos will no go to SaleM-Keizer this season. He'll start the 2018 season in Augusta.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X