2017-18 Giants offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 Giants offseason thread

Thought we might want to open a new thread for this. Especially since there is likely to be a lot of news.

Beginning with this: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/1...oaching-staff/

Giants didn't hit at all and Bam Bam has to pay the price for that.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

I think Bam Bam is probably leaving to go manage the Detroit Tigers or some other team.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

So much for Chili Davis coming back to the Giants. He's signed up with the Cubs.

I'm not sure I understand all these coaching changes Bochy is making.

“Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

The Giants have many more important changes to make than hiring Chili Davis. Haha.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          The Giants have many more important changes to make than hiring Chili Davis. Haha.
          do you think the giants should do a full sellout and build from the scratch? would mean they suck for 2-3 more years but their farm is thin, the dodgers are a monster team and the rockies and dbacks aren't bad either so a WC is not a given. I mean the giants won 3 WS this decade so 3-4 years of being bad is not the end of the world if it means you can consistently compete again for another half decade and maybe win another WS.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post

do you think the giants should do a full sellout and build from the scratch? would mean they suck for 2-3 more years but their farm is thin, the dodgers are a monster team and the rockies and dbacks aren't bad either so a WC is not a given. I mean the giants won 3 WS this decade so 3-4 years of being bad is not the end of the world if it means you can consistently compete again for another half decade and maybe win another WS.
            I don't think its necessary to blow it up. A lot of things happened to have this truly horrendous season. Bad play, injuries, slumps all played into it. But except for a few players, I tend to think that many of the players will bounce back and have decent years in 2018.

There's still a blackhole in LF. And the bullpen is a mess. But the IF is still young and talented. All in all, they could be in a lot worse shape than they are in

Comment

Not sure I like this: http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/gia...medium=twitter

Hayward seemed to be in decline. already. Is this really the best Evans can do?

Comment

The last two seasons combined Hayward has hit .243 /.315/.353, 76 OPS+. That's really bad. The only player I'd want with those hitting stats would be a prime Ozzie Smith.

Comment

Apparently, the Giants made a trade offer for Giancarlo Stanton!

Comment

If the deal includes Panik, Beede and Shaw I'd be very tempted to do it

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
                      If the deal includes Panik, Beede and Shaw I'd be very tempted to do it
                      For those players heck yes! Apparently, the Giants may be close to getting Stanton!

Comment

The Giants are also after Japan's Ohtani, the famous pitcher/hitter. I think if we get him that would help Stanton make up his mind. Going from one last place team to an another must not be very appealing. I think a few things that help is Stanton hits quite well in our park and the recent 3 World Series titles.

But our record in 2017 does not help. Nor does the fact that he really wants to play for the dodgers. The wait is him waiting and hoping the dodgers make some kind of offer the Marlins won't refuse. He wants to play on the West Coast close to home, so the Giants fit that after the dodgers.

What scares me about getting Stanton is all that money and the young guys we will be giving up. The trade will deplete our farm prospects and we won't have $ for other deals.

If the deal still includes Panik (but I don't think it does) then that leaves an another hole we would have to fill.

Overall I hope we get him and Ohtani, but I'm concerned about what other holes we still have but with no money or prospects to help fill those needs.
                        Last edited by 1giantfan; 12-06-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Giants are out on Stanton and Ohtani (signed with Angels). Oh well.

Comment

Are the Giants going to do anything this off-season?!

Comment

They have to do something, so I suspect we'll see some deals by the end of the year.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X