McCovey Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCovey Article

For those of you who may have missed it, John Shea wrote an excellent article on Willie McCovey: http://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/sh..._medium=social

I did not know that Ted Williams had a big impact on Willie's hitting.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

My favorite Giant growing up! Willie came to our Little League banquet in 1979. How they got a Hall of Famer to come to our tiny little town I will never know! Willie is the one payer I wish I could have seen in his prime. I didn't really start following the Giants until 1977. By then Willie was way past his prime though he did have that one last hurrah in 1978. I do fondly remember his last at bat in June 1980. It was at Dodger Stadium. Willie came up as a pinch hitter with the score tied 3-3 in the top of the 8th inning with a man on third. He hit a flyball to left center to give the Giants a 4-3 lead.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-08-2018, 11:40 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Wags, I wish you could have seen him in 1969 his MVP season. He just destroyed the NL, and was even the ASG MVP! Just a fantastic season
      “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
        Wags, I wish you could have seen him in 1969 his MVP season. He just destroyed the NL, and was even the ASG MVP! Just a fantastic season
        KH, you were not old enough to have seen him in 1969? Or were you living in LA by then and didn't get to see the Giants too often?
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

QUOTE=Honus Wagner Rules;n3460433]

KH, you were not old enough to have seen him in 1969? Or were you living in LA by then and didn't get to see the Giants too often?[/QUOTE]

UH, I was 12, so yeah I was old enough. Didn't move to LA till 2000

Comment

QUOTE=Honus Wagner Rules;n3460433]

KH, you were not old enough to have seen him in 1969? Or were you living in LA by then and didn't get to see the Giants too often?
            UH, I was 12, so yeah I was old enough. Didn't move to LA till 2000[/QUOTE]

Oh sorry. I misread your previous post about Willie's 1969 season. Haha. He must have been a sight to behold that season!

Comment

That season was the scariest performance by a player I've ever seen. He just killed it all year long. Too bad the rest of the team couldn't match him.

Comment

That season was the scariest performance by a player I've ever seen. He just killed it all year long. Too bad the rest of the team couldn't match him.
                Just looking at Stretch's advanced metrics only in the past few years did I realize just how dominant of a hitter he truly was.

1968-70: 188 OPS+
                1962-70: 165 OPS+
                1973-74: 163 OPS+ (age 34-35!)
                1962-74: 162 OPS+

That's crazy hitting. Only a handful of first basemen has put up a 162 OPS+ over 13 seasons. We are talking about the legends (Gehrig, Pujols, Foxx, etc.)

Comment

Wonderful article. I met him a little over a dozen years ago at the Giants Community Fund Golf Classic. I'm a lifelong native of the Metropolitan New York area, and I remember seeing him on TV when the Giants came to the Polo Grounds. I said to him, "I wonder what would have happened if the Giants stayed in New York and you could have played in the Polo Grounds for a few years. It might have been your single season or lifetime home run records they would have been shooting at." He gave me a little smile and said, Yeah, I think I could have done some damage there."

I thought I had read years ago that Ted Williams was one of his idols; amazingly, they both were in the majors for 21 years and finished with the same number of home runs.

Happy Birthday, Stretch.

Comment

Hey KH,

Weren't you at the game where Willie hit the ball out of Candlestick Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                      Hey KH,

Weren't you at the game where Willie hit the ball out of Candlestick Park.
                      I remember seeing it, but i'm not sure if I was there or it was on TV, which means I saw it on TV, because if I was there I'd REALLY remember that.

I was at his last game as a Giant at the Stick though. 40,000 men and women crying was a sight to see
                      Last edited by KHenry14; 01-13-2018, 01:00 AM.

Comment

KH,

What was it like seeing Stretch at the 'Stick wearing a Padres uniform?! That's sooo wrong! Haha.

McCovey Padres.jpeg

Comment

It was horrible. And it was worse when he was with the A's, because he really wasn't playing well. Made his comeback with the Giants all the better

Comment

Tremendous article. I wish I had a complete list of hitters who primarily (or secondarily) learned hitting from Williams.

Ironically, the only player Ted said he ever took hitting advice from? Lefty O'Doul.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X