Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 SF Giants Regular Season

Here's the thread to talk about the Giants this season
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

well we won our first game, but I don't us scoring many runs. Here's to hope
    This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

hitting .204 so far this offense could be historically bad
      This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Last's night game was pitiful. The Giants take a 5-0 lead on the Padres in the bottom of the 4th inning. At that point MadBum had yet to allow a hit. So of course MadBum implodes as the Padres scores five runs on MadBum and one run off Moronta in the 5th-7th innings. Game over.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

About the only realistic goal I have for this season is that Bruce Bochy gets 2,000 wins in his career before he retires. The Giants need to finish 74-88 for him to achieve this. Boch has won 1,926 games in 25 years (12 with San Diego, the last 13 with the Giants). Let's appreciate what he has done for us. Those 3 pennants and world championships are a memory I'll always cherish. I'm hoping he gets in the Hall of Fame.
          WRD

Comment

I keep thinking this team has turned a corner....then they go out and lose 18-2. My bad
            “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
              I keep thinking this team has turned a corner....then they go out and lose 18-2. My bad
              Yeah, the team tam is quickly dissolving before our eyes. Poor Bochy will not get to 2,000 wins this season. But I knew this team was not going to be good. It's time to start trading the expensive veterans and try to get the best prospects they can in return. What REALLY burns my hide is that Bryan Reynolds is KILLING it for the Pirates! He's hitting .320/.369/.573, 150 OPS+. I still can't believe the Giants traded this kid for a half season of Andrew McCutchen!
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

What a strange season the Giants are having. After looking absolutely like an awful team at the end of May (22-34 W-L) the Giants have gone 25-15 W-L since then. They are now just three games back in the loss column for the second Wildcard. I'm still not convinced this team can really make a run to the playoffs. But the Giants cannot delude themselves that they are buyers now. I think Ziadi will stay on course and trade MadBum and Will Smith. If the ymake these trades and still compete for the Wildcard then great!

Oh and Bryan Reynolds is still killing it in Pittsburgh, hitting .339/.413/.523, 144 OPS+.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                  What a strange season the Giants are having. After looking absolutely like an awful team at the end of May (22-34 W-L) the Giants have gone 25-15 W-L since then. They are now just three games back in the loss column for the second Wildcard. I'm still not convinced this team can really make a run to the playoffs. But the Giants cannot delude themselves that they are buyers now. I think Ziadi will stay on course and trade MadBum and Will Smith. If the ymake these trades and still compete for the Wildcard then great!

Oh and Bryan Reynolds is still killing it in Pittsburgh, hitting .339/.413/.523, 144 OPS+.
                  I'm shocked by this recent turnaround. A sweep at Coors Field?? Who'd a thunk it was possible? And the unknown OF of Pillar, Yaz and Dickerson? Didn't see that one coming. I still listen to offers on Smith and Bum and Belt, but it becomes less urgent. Go figure.....

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post

I'm shocked by this recent turnaround. A sweep at Coors Field?? Who'd a thunk it was possible? And the unknown OF of Pillar, Yaz and Dickerson? Didn't see that one coming. I still listen to offers on Smith and Bum and Belt, but it becomes less urgent. Go figure.....
                    I'm ok if they keep these guys. I will not be ok if they trade the team's best prospects for aging "proven veterans" to try to "win now". But, I seriously doubt Zaidi will do that. I'm starting to like Yaz. At first I just thought he was just a career minor leaguer who just happened to have a famous and legendary grandfather. He's been hitting much better over the past month, though.

Since June 14: .283/.309/.554

Comment

How 'bout this comeback? I've been a Giants fan for 68 years and don't remember a surge like this during the regular season. This has caused me to rethink goal for 2019: 2,000 managerial wins for Bochy (only 24 to go), a .500 or above record for the season, a wild-card berth (only one team now, the Phillies are ahead of them), a pennant? (o.k., a little far-fetched, but don't underestimate Bochy and Bumgarner in the post-season), another World Series championship? (I can dream can't I). This kid Yaztrzemski, just like his grandpa.
                      WRD

Comment

Originally posted by Giantfanforever View Post
                        How 'bout this comeback? I've been a Giants fan for 68 years and don't remember a surge like this during the regular season. This has caused me to rethink goal for 2019: 2,000 managerial wins for Bochy (only 24 to go), a .500 or above record for the season, a wild-card berth (only one team now, the Phillies are ahead of them), a pennant? (o.k., a little far-fetched, but don't underestimate Bochy and Bumgarner in the post-season), another World Series championship? (I can dream can't I). This kid Yaztrzemski, just like his grandpa.
                        I can remember several similar surges.

The 1982 Giants spent the first four and half months of the season under .500. They reached a winning record for the first time on August 8 at 56-55 W-L. This was in the middle of a 10 game winning streak. The Giants and an incredible 20-7 W-L September. On September 30th the Giants were at a season high 13 games over .500 and just one game out of first place. Then the Giants played the famous the three-game series against the Dodgers at Candlestick Park. They lost the first two games but Joe Morgan hit his famous home run on the final game to ruin the Dodger season.

The 1987 Giants had a weird season. They started the season 21-10 W-L. Then they were under .500 in May and June. They were just one game over .500 in July. On August 5th the Giants fell to a season worst 53-55 W-L record culminated by a three game weep by the Astros in the Astrodome. I remember this series because the Giants lost the last game in 11 innings. There was a very controversial call in the 9th inning that allowed the Astros to tie the game and force extra innings. Chili Davis caught an apparent inning ending ball that the umpire ruled was trapped. But the video ans photos showed Chili caught the ball on the fly. Man, the Giants were really pissed especially Roger Craig. He vowed that day that the Giants would win the division. And that they did. The Giants went on a 37-17 W-L run to close out the season to win the NL West title by six.

In 1991 the Giants had a very poor first half. There were 13-29 W-L in late May and 25-41 W-L in mid June, 15 games out of first place. They were 38-51 W-L on July 19. Then the Giants win 11 straight games which is the third longest winning streak in SF Giants history. The Giants continue to play well into mid August. On August 15 the Giants are 57-57 W-L and only 6 games back. The would be the high point of the season. The went into a 5-16 W-L tailspin and never recovered. They ended up 75-87 W-L in fourth place 19 games out of first.

Comment

I'm liking Mike Yastrzemski more and more.

Comment

Mike Yastrzemski hit 3 homers last night.His grandfather,Carl,had a 3 homer game back in 1976.Mike and Carl are the only grandfather and grandson to hit 3 homers in a game!

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                              Mike Yastrzemski hit 3 homers last night.His grandfather,Carl,had a 3 homer game back in 1976.Mike and Carl are the only grandfather and grandson to hit 3 homers in a game!
                              This is getting a bit ridiculous. No one thought this kid would do anything....yet he's killing it. 3 in one game???? Who'd a thunk?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X