Willie Mays the Best Ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hoss Radbourn
    Top player since WWII? A pretty decent case could be made for Willie Mays as the greatest player ever. One of the highlights of my life was meeting and being introduced to Willie Mays.
    Very decent case.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie31
      Amen to your post Iron Jaw! Also do not forget that Mays missed most of '52 & all of '53 due to serving his country in the military! What figures would he have ended with with those years added in the mix! Brownie31
      Mays had 20 HRs as a rookie in 1951, 4 HRs in 1952 before he left for the army, and 41 HRs upon his return in 1954. It's easy to imagine that he could have hit the 45 HRs he needed to pass Babe Ruth if he had been able to play full seasons in 1952 and 1953.

Comment

to any/all who believe that mays' muscles were *all natural*:
        on what is this based?
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
          to any/all who believe that mays' muscles were *all natural*:
          on what is this based?
          What evidence is there to the contrary? Brownie31

Comment

an assumption that mays played substance-free is just that, an assumption.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
              an assumption that mays played substance-free is just that, an assumption.
              True enough. However, this would hold not only for Mays but anyone else, then or now. It is also just an assumption that, say, Lou Gehrig & Stan Musial were substance-free. Again, there is no evidence against such an assumption. Brownie31

Comment

Brownie31: However, this would hold not only for Mays but anyone else, then or now. It is also just an assumption that, say, Lou Gehrig & Stan Musial were substance-free. Again, there is no evidence against such an assumption.

yes, and no.

Comment

Street20: Bonds may be the best home run hitter or the better average hitter, but Mays just was incredible!

bonds: "i can't carry willie's jock, man."

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                    Mays had 20 HRs as a rookie in 1951, 4 HRs in 1952 before he left for the army, and 41 HRs upon his return in 1954. It's easy to imagine that he could have hit the 45 HRs he needed to pass Babe Ruth if he had been able to play full seasons in 1952 and 1953.
                    Very true. "Say Hey: was just a kid then, and it's very conceivable that he could have punched out at least 54 homeruns in two seasons. Likewise, Ted Williams might have passed 714 had he not missed about 6 seasons with military service in WWII and Korea.

But then, how many homeruns might Babe have hit, if he hadn't spent his first few seasons as a full-time pitcher. Granted, those seasons were in the deadball era, but heck, Babe hit 29 in 1919, the year before the jackrabbit ball came to baseball. Babe was leaps and bounds above all others in HR's during that era.

Spectulation is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Street20
                      Come on! Bonds may be the best home run hitter or the better average hitter, but Mays just was incredible! Please, voice your opinion on the best ever or the best Giant ever.
                      An argument could be made for Willie as best ever.
                      He certainly had all 5 tools. I like Willie alot.
                      1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner
                        No, you simply didn't read my post carefully enough. I was taking a shot at Barry by pointing out how in the picture Mays had natural muscles. I was assuming that anyone reading it could then infer that I meant "as opposed to those which Bonds (not pictured) has".
                        I was making a joke. I think it's kind of silly to make stretch an unrelated photo into a Bonds joke when every media outlet on the planet has shots of Bonds in drag.
                        "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X