Magowan 'retiring'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magowan 'retiring'?

Is Peter Magowan just handing over his role as team president, or is he selling his shares in the team?

He's just handing over day-to-day control. He'll still be one of the owners.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

kevinwi: Is Magowan just handing over his role as team president, or is he selling his shares in the team?

magowan owns perhaps 15-18% of the giants, and will sell a portion of that to general partner neukom.
      it is believed that sue burns owns about 30% of the club.
      it is also believed that neukom and burns will be very close in ownership percentage.
      the giants have not ever released ownership figures, so it is difficult to arrive at exact numbers.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

rzt: [Magowan's] being forced out.

i don't think so, rzt.
        it's just not the way that that particular group does business.
        who do you believe supplied the most push?
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

It's been well documented how this organization does business.

i am well aware of how the giants do business, which is why i asked in the first place.

Obviously the partner/attorney who will be the new CEO supplied the "most push."

so you believe that this was a power play, initiated by neukom +/or his group?

Comment

^^
            so, which?
            and, why now? what was behind it?

Comment

I don't know Ralph, Magowan was instrumental in keeping the team in the city, putting together the pieces that built the best new stadium in MLB with private funding only, and helped push the team into their most successful period since the team moved west. I don't know any Giants fans who who have anything but positive feelings for Peter. In a way, we owe him.

Now that doesn't mean Magowan shouldn't be held responsible for say, sticking with Sabean too long (I'm not one of them, but you can make the argument. right Wags?). or for some other issues, like approving Zito's deal. But all in all, it's been a very positive run for Peter.
              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                The Bonds era wasn't real. We might as well have been watching pro wrestling. More than anyone but Pud Selig, McGowan messed with integrity of our game. Yes, he kept them in SF, but at what price glory?
                Huh? How is it not real? As a life long Giants fan (30+ years) it was VERY real to me. I'm not going to excuse the whole Bonds fiasco. Bonds used PEDs (and several other giant players I might add) and Magowan really didn't do anything about it. However, i will also mention that many teams that the Bonds helped the Giants defeat over the years had several players that used PEDs as well. How many of the 2002 Angels were on PEDs?
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
                  I don't know Ralph, Magowan was instrumental in keeping the team in the city, putting together the pieces that built the best new stadium in MLB with private funding only, and helped push the team into their most successful period since the team moved west. I don't know any Giants fans who who have anything but positive feelings for Peter. In a way, we owe him.
                  I still remember the day the giants announced they were moving to St. Petersburg. I was devastated. Then out o nowhere Magowan and company came in save the day.

Now that doesn't mean Magowan shouldn't be held responsible for say, sticking with Sabean too long (I'm not one of them, but you can make the argument. right Wags?). or for some other issues, like approving Zito's deal. But all in all, it's been a very positive run for Peter.
                  Is this where I make my obligatory Francisco Liriano reference?!

Comment

Magowan has to get major props for keeping the Giants in SF as well as getting a spectacular new stadium built without blackmailing the local government. On the other hand, letting Sabean run amok was not good.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

rtz: The Bonds era wasn't real.

you hafta explain 1993-2007 to us.

We might as well have been watching pro wrestling.

that form of wrestling has predetermined outcomes. yer way off base.

More than anyone but Pud Selig, McGowan messed with integrity of our game.

???
                      the giants did not play in a vacuum.
                      the teams that had more users than the giants hat do you say of them?

Yes, he kept them in SF, but at what price glory?

the giants remained in the city because of mcgowan and his group.
                      that feat remains separate and unmarred by anything that you can imagine.

Comment

wags: As a life long Giants fan (30+ years) it was VERY real to me.

very real, agreed, wags. and the "very real" line is indeed a long line.

Bonds used PED and Magowan really didn't do anything about it.

fuggetabouttit, wags.
                        no matter that none of the owners general managers acted outrightly against ped use.
                        rzt will simply counter that bonds and all brass related to the team for which he played deserve the most scrutiny beacause bonds was chasing the most sacred records... or some such balarkey.

How many of the 2002 Angels were on PED?

more than the giants.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X