• Show
Clear All

• double-take: giants are just 5 back

diamondbacks . . . 34-30 . . . --
    hated dodgers. . . 30-33 . . . 3
    the giants . . . . 29-35 . . . 5
    padres . . . . . . 28-37 . . . 7
    rockies. . . . . . 24-39 . . . 9
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Ok, WCOB, I'm going to have to nip this right now. The Giants are not a playoff team. But they are better than the crappy Rockies.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 06-10-2008, 01:48 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

They need to win or sweep the series here against Colorado, and the Dodgers need to lose or get swept by San Diego. Lince starts tomorrow, so let's hope for him dominating the Rox. As for LA, they're looking to be out of it. Second place, here come the Giants...

Comment

But, would you agree Wags that finishing at .500 is a possibility?? That's better than most of us thought, expecially since Lowry wont pitch this season at all.
        “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
          But, would you agree Wags that finishing at .500 is a possibility?? That's better than most of us thought, expecially since Lowry wont pitch this season at all.
          Sure finishing at .500 is a possibility. That would be a great accomplishment for this team. I actually like this team a lot. They play hard and I am enjoying the development of Lincecum, Cain, and especially Sanchez. Who knows perhaps we can have a Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz type trio.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

While I could never bring myself to root against the Giants, I secretly hope the Diamondbacks get hot and run away with the division within the next month. My biggest fear is that we will be 3-5 games out of 1st at the trade deadline and Sabean will trade away young talent for rental players, setting us back another year.

For some perspective, assume the Diamondbacks play .500 ball the rest of the year and finish 83-79 (and assume none of the other teams in the division overtake them). For the Giants to catch them, they need to go 54-44 (.551) the rest of the year. If the D-Backs play better than .500 and finish 88-74, the Giants need to go 59-39 (.602!). Over a full season, playing .602 ball equates to a 98-win team.

We knew this was going to be a rebuilding year. We should just be happy that we are not in last place and actually have a shot at avoiding 90 losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              Sure finishing at .500 is a possibility. That would be a great accomplishment for this team. I actually like this team a lot. They play hard and I am enjoying the development of Lincecum, Cain, and especially Sanchez. Who knows perhaps we can have a Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz type trio.
              You forgot to add Wilson to that mix Wags. He seems to be the real deal, the first reliable guy since Nen was healthy.
              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

wags: Ok, WCOB, I'm going to have to nip this right now. The Giants are not a playoff team.

dude, you need to step off.
                i did not say that the giants are a playoff team.

pretty much no one thought that the giants would sniff .500 ball, much less come within a dozen games of it. sure, there is a lot of season left, and the giants could sink to 20 back, but what's now is now.

you know, there was about a five-week stretch where the giants owned 3rd-place:
                the diamondbacks were solidly in first, the hated dodgers were comfortable in second, and the padres and rockies kinda played musical chairs. there was very little movement in the standings. suddenly, after a 4-game sweep at washington (take a breath wags, i know tha the nationals are not series-bound).
                the flags at the ballyard did not change positions except periodically at the bottom. many fans resided to inking that the giants would take 4th of 5th and not challenge for anything higher.

in second, 5 back, after 2+ months played is a huge achievement for this club.
                "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

wags: I actually like this team a lot. They play hard...

omg, please do not tell me that you drank the kool-aid, wags.
                  many have stated that the giants finally have a team that plays hard, as if last year's club or the one previous to that one and the one previous to that one did not.

I am enjoying the development of Lincecum, Cain, and especially Sanchez.

it has been fun, hasn't it?

Comment

ken: You forgot to add Wilson to that mix Wags. He seems to be the real deal, the first reliable guy since Nen was healthy.

mr. nen immediately comes to mind when watching wilson close it out, ken.
                    wilson has a sense for theater, the macabre: it seems that he gets himself into trouble, as did mr. nen, just for the sport of getting out of it.

i dig wilson. i sit pretty close to the giants bullpen and get to see the players up close and personal.
                    wilson is a bulldog. as are walker, chulk (yes, ken, chulk!), lincecum, cain and molina. they are all focused and wear knuschlers out there on the sideline.

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                      wags: I actually like this team a lot. They play hard...

omg, please do not tell me that you drank the kool-aid, wags.
                      many have stated that the giants finally have a team that plays hard, as if last year's club or the one previous to that one and the one previous to that one did not.
                      That's not what I meant. Of course previous Giants played hard. I was more commenting that they don't have Bonds not to rely on so they have to hustle for everything the get since the team lacks HR power.

I am enjoying the development of Lincecum, Cain, and especially Sanchez.

it has been fun, hasn't it?
                      I'm hoping Cain can turn it up a notch. He's too good to have his ERA in the mid 4s.

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                        ken: You forgot to add Wilson to that mix Wags. He seems to be the real deal, the first reliable guy since Nen was healthy.

mr. nen immediately comes to mind when watching wilson close it out, ken.
                        wilson has a sense for theater, the macabre: it seems that he gets himself into trouble, as did mr. nen, just for the sport of getting out of it.

i dig wilson. i sit pretty close to the giants bullpen and get to see the players up close and personal.
                        wilson is a bulldog. as are walker, chulk (yes, ken, chulk!), lincecum, cain and molina. they are all focused and wear knuschlers out there on the sideline.
                        Robb was one of those guys who always seemed to walk the leadoff guy, get a K, give up a hit, then get a DP to get out of the inning and get the save. He was never like Eckersley who just mowed people down.

Chulk may be a bulldog Tony, but I wish he'd get more people out!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X