Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHenry14
    replied
    Sheff is also quite a bit younger than Barry, which play into this as well. While there is something to the Barry circus, even at age 44 I'd rather have Barry than Sheff for a number of reasons.

Leave a comment:

• chris14
    replied
    Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
    If signing of Bonds isn't happening because he's a "Cancer" why is Gary Sheffield playing. Sheff is a far worse cancer, as evidenced by his inability to stick with any team past two years. Sheff is a HOF and a HOF jerk, yet he's got a gig. So if teams keep signing Sheff, why not Bonds?
    Shef is under contract. Bonds is not. Nobody flat out cut Bonds. I don't think they will do that with Shef. The circus around Bonds is way bigger than Shef also.

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    If signing of Bonds isn't happening because he's a "Cancer" why is Gary Sheffield playing. Sheff is a far worse cancer, as evidenced by his inability to stick with any team past two years. Sheff is a HOF and a HOF jerk, yet he's got a gig. So if teams keep signing Sheff, why not Bonds?

Leave a comment:

• chris14
    replied
    Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
    It's funny Wags, you hear that 'Bonds is a cancer" stuff from non Giants fans all the time, but the fact just don't bear that out.
    Fact?
    The guy is still one of the games best hitters and he can't get one team in MLB to sign him for the veterans minimum... even if he donates it to kids to buy them tix. He is a cancer and i am a Giants fan. Remember, if a player has talent, teams find a spot for them. Drugs, police... whatever. Nobody wants to touch him. He is a cancer. If he wasnt, he wold have been playing this whole season IMO.
    Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    ^^
    bonds is a student of the game... of so many facets of the game and of its history.

recall jeff kent's infamous reply when asked about rogers hornsby, the great secondbaseman: "roger who?"

ask bonds about negro leaguers and his entire face lights up.

he sat in on pitcher's meetings to better position himself... adapted and overcame his lack of arm... became a master of the walking lead... became pitch identifier nonpareil...

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    One thing about Bonds that is underrated is his understanding of the game and especially hitting. That comes from being the son of a major leaguer and being a HoF player himself no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    It's funny Wags, you hear that 'Bonds is a cancer" stuff from non Giants fans all the time, but the fact just don't bear that out. I mean, there is a lot of on the record comments from Barry's teammates about how much help he gave them. There's no doubt in my mind if Barry had the desire (I'm sure he doesn't) he'd be an outstanding hitting coach. And there is no doubt that Barry wanted to win, and his performance on the field showed that.

Essentially it's just ignorance that brought a lot of that anti-Bonds stuff out. I mean the guys that were saying it weren't exactly big name stars, so nobody outside of the City ever read those comments. Sure Barry did things his own way, but as you and Tony said, Barry carried the team for a decade and a half, and that gives him a lot of cred in the clubhouse.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    hey, wags.

only a handful of giants did not care for bonds, and two of 'em went so far as to (foolishly) challenge him with physical altercations (no, kent ain't one of 'em). mostly, though, bonds got along with his teammates of each version of the big men, and they with him. some didn't, but that's what happens when there are 25 people in the same room. we hear a lot about this team or that creating a great clubhouse atmosphere, and that's terrific... if only it were true in all of the clubhouses that actually make that claim. (most guys just keep quiet about clubhouse troubles, as well they should.)

bonds didn't stretch with the team or make most of the team pictures, true. but he would have had they been mandatory. the great majority of players don't really care about that stuff anyway: it's the win column that gets their attention the most. and as you stated, bonds lead the big men to wins as has no other giant. the players knew and understood what it took for bonds to get ready for play, especially in 2003 and later, and they simply let him be.

i recall bonds, just removed from a game but still in the dugout, step over a handrail and be the first on the field to aid jt snow before some shouting stuff turned physical. more recently, bonds quickly called several press conferences to deny the untruth that he told authoritues that he got "stuff" from sweeney's locker. (don't forget: bonds did not ever deny the leak of his testing positive for steroids, but he did deny the ugly rumor that involved a teammate.)

bonds taking a youngster under his wing, helping him out in the field and while in the box; bonds calling out what the pitcher was throwing... seemingly before the pitch was even thrown; bonds talking with pitchers about their game plan: all forgotten or not even noticed to begin with.

bonds and y2k (remember when the world was gonna come to an end, or at least stop spinning?) have this in common: troubles occured no more than usual, it's just that everyone was focusing on it.
    ok, that ain't true: bonds did bring more troubles and headache than your regular player. but it is also true that much of the time the sideshow was gonna happen even if bonds was all-giving and a "fun-loving" player.

anywaze, the short answer to your wondering: probably because they themselves do.
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 06-17-2008, 01:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    started a topic Bonds and his Giants teammates

Bonds and his Giants teammates

I don't get why non-Giants fans think Bonds was "hated" by his Giants teammates? Ok, Bonds didn't really hang out with the team from what understand. But that's a big jump to say his Giants teammates didn't like him or actually hated him. I think his teammates were generally in awe of him (ok, maybe not Jeff Kent ) and just gave him his space. But they all knew they had a much better chance of winning ballgames with Barry in the lineup. I do know that Bonds led the Giants through probably their longest sustained team success in his tenure with the Giants.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X