Matt Cain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Cain

I'd like to know anything and everything you guys can tell me about this young pitcher. He's got some hype coming into the season.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Originally posted by SoxSon
    I'd like to know anything and everything you guys can tell me about this young pitcher. He's got some hype coming into the season.

First things first...YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM. He's ours!!

Hype is one thing, but this is one time you can believe the hype. He's the real deal in every sense.

KH14
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14

Hype is one thing, but this is one time you can believe the hype. He's the real deal in every sense.

KH14

You figured me out that quicky, eh?
      Actually, Boston has a surplus of starters right now, though you can probably have a couple for Cain, if you ask nicely.

I know I could read about Cain, but I'd rather hear from those who have watched him. Is he a strikeout guy? What makes him the "real deal"? What are his pitches? Flyball/grounder pitcher? You guys get the idea. Thanks.
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

KH14
        Solomon Torrez, Jessie Foppert, Kurt Ainsworth, Jerome Williams, Atlee Hammecker...
        Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 03-17-2006, 09:11 AM.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
          Solomon Torrez, Jessie Foppert, Kurt Ainsworth, Jerome Williams, Atlee Hammecker...
          LOL, you are sort of a glass is half empty kinda guy Wags!

Truth be told, young pitchers can be brillant and then self destruct in a matter of seconds. Those you named all fall into that category. But who's to say that Cain will follow in those footsteps?

KH14
          “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

LOL, you are sort of a glass is half empty kinda guy Wags!

Truth be told, young pitchers can be brillant and then self destruct in a matter of seconds. Those you named all fall into that category. But who's to say that Cain will follow in those footsteps?

KH14
            Because the Giants have a zero track record for developing young starting pitchers. At this point it's obvious that there is a major problem with the Giants' player development system. Other than Russ Ortiz, what other pitcher have the Giants developed in the recent past.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Obviously I can't argue that, but I don't think that just because of the sins of the past that this will impact those people who are coming up now. Besides, Lowry is shaping up quite nicely, and we've seen good things from Hennessey as well.

I can understand your scepticism, but I do see a lot of signs that the farm system is finally starting to turn things around. But promise and potential don't mean anything until the results show up on the field. But I'm optimistic.

Lets revisit this conversation in 2008 and see where we are then.

KH14

Comment

Obviously I can't argue that, but I don't think that just because of the sins of the past that this will impact those people who are coming up now. Besides, Lowry is shaping up quite nicely, and we've seen good things from Hennessey as well.

I can understand your scepticism, but I do see a lot of signs that the farm system is finally starting to turn things around. But promise and potential don't mean anything until the results show up on the field. But I'm optimistic.

Lets revisit this conversation in 2008 and see where we are then.

KH14
                Yes, Lowry and Hennessey seem to have some potential. but are they potential 12-14 wins guys (like Reuter) or 20 win type pitchers? I dunno, it's too early to tell.

Comment

Now I got something going!

Comment

Yes, Lowry and Hennessey seem to have some potential. but are they potential 12-14 wins guys (like Reuter) or 20 win type pitchers? I dunno, it's too early to tell.
                    At this point, I think Hennessey can be a Jeff Weaver type 14 win guy. I have hopes that Lowry can do better than that, upwards of an 18 win guy.

KH14

Comment

you tell him, ken!
                      c'mon, wags, hammaker? you really wanna go all the way back to the '83 all-star game?
                      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                        you tell him, ken!
                        c'mon, wags, hammaker? you really wanna go all the way back to the '83 all-star game?

No, my point is that since I've been watching the Giants (1978) they have not developed a single superstar pitcher. Not one! And it's not because they haven't had some awesome prospects. In the early 1980s and in the past few years then had many highly regarded pitching prospects. It's a major flaw in the Giant's player development system. When guys like Foppert, Ainsworth, Williams, Hammacker, Kelly Downs, Solomon Torres, William Van Landingham, Jeff Robinson, Scott Garrelts, Terry Mullholland, Trevor Wilson, Pat Rapp, Shawn Estes, etc, don't develop what does that tell you about the Giants' player development system? What happened to Shawn Estes? This guy was 19-5 and an All-Star at age 24. It went all downhill after that. :grouchy
                        Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 03-20-2006, 10:34 AM.

Comment

wags: What happened to Shawn Estes? This guy was 19-5 and an All-Star at age 24. It went all downhill after that.

it's dick pole's fault.:grouchy
                          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

When guys like Foppert, Ainsworth, Williams, Hammacker, Kelly Downs, Soloon Torres, William Van Landingham, Jeff Robinson, Scott Garrelts, Terry Mullholland, Trevor Wilson, Pat Rapp, Shawn Estes, etc, don't develop what does that tell you about the Giants' player development system? What happened to Shawn Estes? This guy was 19-5 and an All-Star at age 24. It went all downhill after that. :grouchy

I think part of this equation is that most of the guys you mention weren't going to be a superstar even if they had Leo Mazzone for a PC. A few were close, Garrelts had talent, and so did Hammaker and Estes. But some of those guys did as well as their talent was going to let them, like Jeff Robinson and Kelly Downs. More importantly, I think this indicts the drafting of the players as well as the coaching. That appears to be changing some as we are seeing a lot of good young arms come up, but as we've said previously, we will have to wait till 2008 to see if Sabean has kept the right people.

KH14

Comment

1993 ushered in a new era.

2008 will be the start of the next one, right, ken.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X