the making of an opening day roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the making of an opening day roster

The Giants have a dozen exhibitions games left before they must set their 25-man roster. With all the WBCers back in the fold, the regulars have to get their at-bats and management must start drawing conclusions and making tough roster decisions.

Sabean said that he and Alou are leaning toward 12 pitchers because of few off days early on the schedule. That is good news for bubble relievers Jeremy Accardo and Merkin Valdez, bad news for either Jason Ellison or Todd Linden.

There are nine relievers for the seven jobs: Armando Benitez, Tim Worrell, Steve Kline, Tyler Walker, Jeff Fassero, Scott Munter, Jack Taschner, Accardo and Valdez. That management has so many starters and relievers from which to choose bodes well.

"To have that depth is not something a lot of organizations have," catcher Mike Matheny said.
    -henry schulman, sf chronicle staff writer, monday, 20 march 2006

here is the story
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Worth drafting?

So is His Highness, Barry Bonds, worth drafting in the first 5 rounbds, if at all?

The SI article painted a pretty grim picture. The guy's a racist, arrogant, selfish, lying misogynist if you ask me...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Mike
      So is His Highness, Barry Bonds, worth drafting in the first 5 rounbds, if at all?

The SI article painted a pretty grim picture. The guy's a racist, arrogant, selfish, lying misogynist if you ask me...
      Hey, look! Another good person helplessly influenced in a bad way by the national media! WHEN WILL THE EPIDEMIC STOP???
      sigpic

Comment

Mister Mike: Worth drafting?
        So is His Highness, Barry Bonds, worth drafting in the first 5 rounds, if at all?

drafting? huh? bonds is an active major leaguer, not a minor leaguer. what is this about drafting him?
        . . . . . . . . .
        unflattering comments about a player in his own team's forum is considered out-of-bounds, mister mike. please make your feelings known in one of the non-team fora. thanx.

-the management.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

I think Mr. Mike meant drafting in a fantasy league, which also doesn't belong in this forum.

And funny, I don't recall any of us asking your opinion of Barry....

KH14
          “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

oh, fantasy league. yes, i have heard of that activity.

Comment

I think Frandsen should have made the opening day roster. He had a sweet spring and with Durham's health, it would have been a smart idea. But I guess Vizcaino can fill in at 2B too. The Giants are deep this year. I love it.
              You know it!

Comment

I liked Frandsen too this spring but he's still young and he hasn't played a full season in AAA yet. With Durham's contract running out this year, I predict Frandsen playing next year, though possibly behind Durham or some other veteran on a 1-year contract. Frandsen did well in the spring but he needs time to mature. He made a few bonehead defensive plays that showed me that he's still just a prospect.

Comment

^^ agreed that frandsen needs seasoning to mature, but he is hardly "just" a prospect".
                  the 25-year old is being groomed to take over at a middle infield position for next season.

Comment

I also want to congratulate Jason Ellison for making the team. It remains to be seen how much he'll play, but he worked hard and deserves the spot.
                    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

good call, man.
                      to that end, here are your 2006 opening day san francisco giants

pitchers ___________ B/T __ ht ___ wt ______ dob

59 jeremy accardo __ R/R __ 6-2 __ 190 ___ 12/18/81
                      43 matt cain _______ R/R __ 6-3 __ 230 ___ 10/01/84
                      14 jeff fassero ____ L/L __ 6-1 __ 200 ___ 01/05/63
                      34 steve kline _____ R/L __ 6-1 __ 240 ___ 08/22/72
                      51 noah lowry ______ R/L __ 6-2 __ 210 ___ 10/10/80
                      35 matt morris _____ R/R __ 6-5 __ 220 ___ 08/09/74
                      54 scott munter ____ R/R __ 6-6 __ 240 ___ 03/07/80
                      29 jason schmidt ___ R/R __ 6-5 __ 215 ___ 01/29/73
                      37 jack taschner ___ L/L __ 6-3 __ 205 ___ 04/21/78
                      47 tyler walker ____ R/R __ 6-3 __ 240 ___ 05/15/76
                      45 tim worrell _____ R/R __ 6-4 __ 240 ___ 07/05/67
                      48 jamey wright ____ R/R __ 6-6 __ 235 ___ 12/24/74

catchers
                      20 todd greene _____ R/R __ 5-10 _ 210 ___ 05/08/71
                      22 mike matheny ____ R/R __ 6-3 __ 220 ___ 09/22/70

infielders
                      5 ray durham _______ S/R __ 5-8 __ 195 ___ 11/30/71
                      7 pedro feliz ______ R/R __ 6-1 __ 210 ___ 04/27/75
                      28 lance niekro ____ R/R __ 6-3 __ 215 ___ 01/29/79
                      9 mark sweeney _____ L/L __ 6-1 __ 215 ___ 10/26/69
                      10 jose vizcaino ___ S/R __ 6-1 __ 190 ___ 03/26/68
                      13 omar vizquel ____ S/R __ 5-9 __ 185 ___ 04/24/67

outfielders
                      18 moises alou ______ R/R __ 6-3 __ 220 ___ 07/03/66
                      25 barry bonds ______ L/L __ 6-2 __ 230 ___ 07/24/64
                      21 jason ellison ____ R/R __ 5-10 _ 180 ___ 04/04/78
                      12 steve finley _____ L/L __ 6-2 __ 195 ___ 03/12/65
                      2 randy winn ________ S/R __ 6-2 __ 195 ___ 06/09/74
                      Last edited by west coast orange and black; 04-04-2006, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Other thing about the team, Bonds and Fassero are both more than 20 years older than Cain.

Comment

the first 3 lineup spots -- winn, vizquel and durham -- are switch-hitters.
                          1 through 5 are tough outs.
                          winn, vizquel, durham, bonds and alou battle.
                          i think that niekro, jacking the ball from the 7th spot, is gonna turn some heads.

Comment

I gotta say that the most impressive thing I saw in the game last night was Niekro taking that walk. I still think he can be a good hitter so I'm excited.

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                              i think that niekro, jacking the ball from the 7th spot, is gonna turn some heads.
                              I think you may be right about this. Also, evidently his work with the Baby Bull is paying off as Lance made a very nice play on one of the DP's last night.

KH14<--who'd love to see a 30hr/90rbi season out of Lance.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X