ray ratto on selig's dark shadows maneuver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ray ratto on selig's dark shadows maneuver

The investigation is supposed to go, well, wherever it goes, but given that the book has enumerated what happened in one laboratory, it is hard to know just where the investigation is supposed to go beyond what Fainaru-Wada, Williams and the boys and girls at Gotham Publishing already have provided.

So why is this investigation anything more than a really involved book report? An excellent question, that.
    -ray ratto, sf chronicle staff writer, thursday, 30 march 2006

here is the complete story
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

I will say one thing if it was Giamatti who put together this investigation then I would say Bonds and others had something to worry about. As it is with Selig running the show I don't think it will have any real teeth. Giamatti was a poet who believed in the purity and high integrity of the sport whether or not that actually existed in this sport is debatable, but he would not hesitate to cut off a cancerous cell if he thought it was doing his baby harm.

Comment

i always held giamatti in high regard, everywhereman, with proper respect.
      but say giamatti had the opportunity to investigate illegal substance abuse in the game -- not the players themselves, mind you, but the substances -- and _______'s name surfaced.

do you believe that giamatti would have pulled the plug on that superstar?
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Depends on how much surfaced. The Rose investigation started when it became impossible for baseball to ignore it, probably even much later then that. If say Canseco's drug use got to that point and he was destroying records left and right I think Giamatti would have acted.

Comment

by "canseco destroying records", it sounds as though you focused on then-active players. ok, i'm sorta down with that. but a true investigation of substances that would lead where it would lead would undoubtedly lead to at least several players currently amongst the top 10 career home run list.

as much as i respected giamatti, i believe that he would not go there.

Comment

Well at the time that was who was big while Giamatti was in office. Like I said earlier Giamatti would act to protect his view of the game. He got out in front of Rose's gambling because he felt it would be a big black mark for baseball and that it was better to get it out now before the outside found out and forced baseball to do it. Its always better to enforce ones own rules then to appear as if they were "outed" by the media or public.

I think Giamatti would have done that if he viewed the drugs as a danger to his beloved game. At the time I don't think he did because the records were not falling.

Comment

all too often, *we* do not take action 'til *we* become affected.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X