2009 this 'n that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 this 'n that

a thread of facts 'n figures 'n the miscellaneous related to the 2009 giants

batting in nl since 14 aug 2008(min 145ab)

pujols, stl . . .403
    lopez, stl/ari. .388
    ethier, lad . . .368
    sanchez, pit. . .367
    ramirez, lad. . .366
    votto, cin. . . .351
    sandoval, sf. . .340
    winn, sf. . . . .335
    molina, sf. . . .331

Last edited by west coast orange and black; 04-10-2009, 09:55 AM.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

career fielding percentage – active catchers

redmund, min . . . .9957436
    mauer, min . . . . .9955882
    pierzynski, chw. . .9949186
    ausmus, hou. . . . .9942162
    molina, sf . . . . .9941361
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 04-10-2009, 09:55 AM.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

bob howry has 314 appearances in the majors since 2005, second to chad qualls; 87 holds (4th-most) during that time.
      Last edited by west coast orange and black; 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

rich aurilia has 1,200 hits while wearing the san francisco black and orange, good for 6th on the all-time list (will clark 5th with 1,278); 1,234 games played (4th) for sf b+o (robby thompson 5th with 1,304); batting .299 lifetime at petco, 3rd highest among active players.

Comment

most doubles by nl outfielders since 2007

matt holliday. . 89
          aaron rowand . . 85
          randy winn . . . 79

Comment

before going up there against mitch williams, kevin mitchell said, 'we got a job to do.' i told him, 'it's done.'
            then i immediately put myself in the hole 0-2. i took a few pitches, fouled off a few tough ones.
            the second-to-last-pitch was a high fastball, and i fouled it straight back. i was just under it. i stepped out, took a deep breath and reminded myself to get on top of it if he comes with that same pitch.
            he did -- i was able to line it up the middle.
            seldom does a day go by when i don't think about that hit.
            -will clark, speaking of his pennant-winning single in game 5 against the cubs in 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
              before going up there against mitch williams, kevin mitchell said, 'we got a job to do.' i told him, 'it's done.'
              then i immediately put myself in the hole 0-2. i took a few pitches, fouled off a few tough ones.
              the second-to-last-pitch was a high fastball, and i fouled it straight back. i was just under it. i stepped out, took a deep breath and reminded myself to get on top of it if he comes with that same pitch.
              he did -- i was able to line it up the middle.
              seldom does a day go by when i don't think about that hit.
              -will clark, speaking of his pennant-winning single in game 5 against the cubs in 1989.

This is one of my top 5 favorite memories as a Giants fan, probably #2 behind being at McCovey's last game at the 'Stick.
              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

mccovey's last game at the stick ... brian johnson's home run to beat the hated dodgers ... good times.

i got to sneak in will clark's words because he tutored ishikawa this spring.
                too bad the thrill is not in a giants uni right now.

Comment

17 - 28 april

the giants have baseball's lowest era of the past week-plus:
                  1.92 era - 18er, 84.1ip

Comment

picking up where he left off last season, fred lewis currently sees the most pitches of any national leaguer

4.70 - fred lewis, giants
                    4.65 - jayson werth, phillies
                    4.46 - todd helton, rockies
                    4.44 - john baker, marlins
                    4.40 - andre ethier, hated dodgers

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                      picking up where he left off last season, fred lewis currently sees the most pitches of any national leaguer

4.70 - fred lewis, giants
                      4.65 - jayson werth, phillies
                      4.46 - todd helton, rockies
                      4.44 - john baker, marlins
                      4.40 - andre ethier, hated dodgers
                      Lewis is an enigma. He takes pitches but only has 10 BBs so far with 26 strikeouts in 20 games. He's on pace for 81 BB and 211 strikouts!
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                        Lewis is an enigma. He takes pitches but only has 10 BBs so far with 26 strikeouts in 20 games. He's on pace for 81 BB and 211 strikouts!
                        It's crazy isn't it. Watching him you think he's developed a smart approach at the plate and knows what he's doing up there, going deep in the count, seems to have a good eye, then you look at the results of all that and see all the SO's and think WTH?

Did you see him two nights ago against the Dodgers, I think against Wolf, he swung and badly missed a low inside slider, the pitcher saw that and obviously liked it cuz he came back with the exact same pitch, with the same result and Steee-rike three!

He looked like a young Feliz in that at bat.

Guess he still has some maturing to do, but he should be in his prime at 28yo.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ewisfr02.shtml

Comment

that's a lotta whiffs!
                          looking at things from the other side of the plate, so to speak:

76 pa
                          26 k
                          10 bb
                          3 hbp
                          .317 avg

37 times hitting the ball in play
                          20 hits
                          .541 avg when hitting the ball in play

Comment

candlestickbum: Did you see him two nights ago against the Dodgers, I think against Wolf, he swung and badly missed a low inside slider, the pitcher saw that and obviously liked it cuz he came back with the exact same pitch, with the same result and Steee-rike three!

are you talkin' 'bout his ab in the 1st or 2nd inning?
                            lewis swung and missed each time on 1-2 count low inside sliders.
                            wolf ended up with a hat trick on lewis monday night.

Comment

the 10 - 10 giants are now 8 - 0 when scoring first.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X