What's your take on Lance Neikro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your take on Lance Neikro?

How do you think Lance will do this season? He did have a nice spring training but his track record doesn't suggest any star potential. In 351 minor league games he drew just 57 walks. That's awful. h
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-06-2006, 10:40 AM. Reason: typo
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I don't know, he could go either way IMO. I'm not a firm believer in what one does in the minors he'll therefore do in the majors. Lance will get better coaching in the bigs, and with some experience may turn out to be better than we all expect. Then again, he may turn out to be David Green!

But my gut is telling me that he's going to have a pretty good year, 25 hrs/80rbi type of year. I mean, he's likely to have a LOT of runners on base when he comes up, so the opportunities will be there for him.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14
      I don't know, he could go either way IMO. I'm not a firm believer in what one does in the minors he'll therefore do in the majors. Lance will get better coaching in the bigs, and with some experience may turn out to be better than we all expect. Then again, he may turn out to be David Green!

But my gut is telling me that he's going to have a pretty good year, 25 hrs/80rbi type of year. I mean, he's likely to have a LOT of runners on base when he comes up, so the opportunities will be there for him.
      Lance was pretty average in the minors. Plus he's 27 years old and most players don't improve significantly after that age. I dunno, we shall see.
      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-06-2006, 04:07 PM.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ehh, 15-25 homerrs 60-70 rbis not a very good average.
        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

niekro is a very emotional guy. the kind of guy who allows his bat to affect his fielding, and vice-versa. at least, he has been 'til now. orlando cepeda spent a good deal of time with niekro this spring, and lance responded enthusiastically.

it was a double-edged sword for niekro when snow was with the giants -- the good was learning the tricks of the trade from one of the alltime best scoopers in baseball history, the bad was niekro knowing that snow's glove and his own inefficiencies at the plate meant that he would sit for extended lengths.

not any longer .the time is now.

i expect that niekro will have a decent season, in the range of what ken described -- 25 homers with 80+ rbi.
          those numbers from a #7 guy in a non-dh lineup is pretty decent.

go lance. go giants.
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
            niekro is a very emotional guy. the kind of guy who allows his bat to affect his fielding, and vice-versa. at least, he has been 'til now. orlando cepeda spent a good deal of time with niekro this spring, and lance responded enthusiastically.

it was a double-edged sword for niekro when snow was with the giants -- the good was learning the tricks of the trade from one of the alltime best scoopers in baseball history, the bad was niekro knowing that snow's glove and his own inefficiencies at the plate meant that he would sit for extended lengths.

not any longer .the time is now.

i expect that niekro will have a decent season, in the range of what ken described -- 25 homers with 80+ rbi.
            those numbers from a #7 guy in a non-dh lineup is pretty decent.

go lance. go giants.
            So you basically saying that Lance won't make any of us forget Will Clark?

Comment

I wouldn't want to forget Will Clark. That said, I think that while Niekro is 27, he's never had the starting spot. His glove looks a lot better and he is working the count much better (as are all the Giants, Feliz last night?). I think we should see him turn into a solid starter. He'll never be a HoFer but I like him.
              PS. WC, you keep saying Niekro is in the #7 spot... I think he's been in the #6 so far... unless you know something we don't which is entirely possible.

Comment

Somehow, my opinion of Lance just went up a bit after today!
                “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Neikro is nothing special. I think he's great for SF because so far this year he's got his hits when they count. I think the most he will hit is 22 HRs, but probably more like 18. His OBP will probably only be about .310-.325.

Comment

If he's great for SF. he's great for me.

Comment

A project for now, future ''star''???
                      Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
                        A project for now, future ''star''???
                        No, Lance so ho star potential .He's already 27 years old and doesn't take many walks. He's the new Pedro Feliz.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X