• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    The trend continues.

Lincecum pitches against the Reds and the Giants score 8
    Zito pitches against the Reds and the Giants score 1
    Well, they only scored one run for Matt Cain today.

It's not a coincidence.
    It's just randomness.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      Well, they only scored one run for Matt Cain today.

It's just randomness.
      When Zito is pitching, why can't Bochy (or the hitters themselves) get the hitters to perform at the levels they are playing at when Lincecum is pitching?

I wonder what the team batting average is in game Lincecum pitches vs. team batting average is in games in which Zito pitches.
      Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
        When Zito is pitching, why can't Bochy (or the hitters themselves) get the hitters to perform at the levels they are playing at when Lincecum is pitching?

I wonder what the team batting average is in game Lincecum pitches vs. team batting average is in games in which Zito pitches.
        I'm sure if Bochy (or the hitters themselves) had a magical potion that could make them produce no matter who was on the mound, the entire offense would be on it. It really is just random for when the offense does well. The proof is in what we all know, the run support for Cain over the past two seasons compared to this year. But each pitcher in the rotation has been screwed out of a win at least once by the lack of offense. I don't think it's a "Zito is pitching, so let's take the night off" thing.

I wish they'd hit better no matter who is pitching!

Comment

Or at least if they DO pull a pitcher with RISP at or about the sixth inning, DON'T make the pinch hitter Fred Lewis.

Wednesday: Zito throwing a gem (2 hits, no runs allowed through 6 - only threw 72 pitches I think); Lewis pops out to end the inning. No win for Zito.

Friday: Sanchez, throwing a good game (no earned through 5); Lewis strikes out (and then doesn't even run out the dropped ball by the catcher on strike three; just heads back to the dugout!!).

You can't blame him for the pop-up - but not hustling on the K pissed me off.
          "There's no crying in Baseball!"
          -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

Originally posted by buck55 View Post
            I'm sure if Bochy (or the hitters themselves) had a magical potion that could make them produce no matter who was on the mound, the entire offense would be on it. It really is just random for when the offense does well. The proof is in what we all know, the run support for Cain over the past two seasons compared to this year. But each pitcher in the rotation has been screwed out of a win at least once by the lack of offense. I don't think it's a "Zito is pitching, so let's take the night off" thing.

I wish they'd hit better no matter who is pitching!
            Buck - Do you understand the concept of sample size? If it were truly random, the numbers would even out after a reasonable period of time. And in the case of Zito, Cain and Lincecum, a reasonable period of time has passed that we can rely on the data to not be random.
            Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X