X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BiZmaRK
    replied
    Originally posted by buck55 View Post
    I'm sure if Bochy (or the hitters themselves) had a magical potion that could make them produce no matter who was on the mound, the entire offense would be on it. It really is just random for when the offense does well. The proof is in what we all know, the run support for Cain over the past two seasons compared to this year. But each pitcher in the rotation has been screwed out of a win at least once by the lack of offense. I don't think it's a "Zito is pitching, so let's take the night off" thing.

I wish they'd hit better no matter who is pitching!
    Buck - Do you understand the concept of sample size? If it were truly random, the numbers would even out after a reasonable period of time. And in the case of Zito, Cain and Lincecum, a reasonable period of time has passed that we can rely on the data to not be random.

Leave a comment:

• hallzee
    replied
    Or at least if they DO pull a pitcher with RISP at or about the sixth inning, DON'T make the pinch hitter Fred Lewis.

Wednesday: Zito throwing a gem (2 hits, no runs allowed through 6 - only threw 72 pitches I think); Lewis pops out to end the inning. No win for Zito.

Friday: Sanchez, throwing a good game (no earned through 5); Lewis strikes out (and then doesn't even run out the dropped ball by the catcher on strike three; just heads back to the dugout!!).

You can't blame him for the pop-up - but not hustling on the K pissed me off.

Leave a comment:

• buck55
    replied
    Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    When Zito is pitching, why can't Bochy (or the hitters themselves) get the hitters to perform at the levels they are playing at when Lincecum is pitching?

I wonder what the team batting average is in game Lincecum pitches vs. team batting average is in games in which Zito pitches.
    I'm sure if Bochy (or the hitters themselves) had a magical potion that could make them produce no matter who was on the mound, the entire offense would be on it. It really is just random for when the offense does well. The proof is in what we all know, the run support for Cain over the past two seasons compared to this year. But each pitcher in the rotation has been screwed out of a win at least once by the lack of offense. I don't think it's a "Zito is pitching, so let's take the night off" thing.

I wish they'd hit better no matter who is pitching!

Leave a comment:

• BiZmaRK
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Well, they only scored one run for Matt Cain today.

It's just randomness.
    When Zito is pitching, why can't Bochy (or the hitters themselves) get the hitters to perform at the levels they are playing at when Lincecum is pitching?

I wonder what the team batting average is in game Lincecum pitches vs. team batting average is in games in which Zito pitches.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    The trend continues.

Lincecum pitches against the Reds and the Giants score 8
    Zito pitches against the Reds and the Giants score 1
    Well, they only scored one run for Matt Cain today.

It's not a coincidence.
    It's just randomness.

Leave a comment:

• BiZmaRK
    replied
    The trend continues.

Lincecum pitches against the Reds and the Giants score 8
    Zito pitches against the Reds and the Giants score 1

It's not a coincidence.

Leave a comment:

• BiZmaRK
    replied
    Over the course of this season, Lincecum is getting about run support of about 4.95 per game and Cain about 4.33. Meanwhile, Zito is getting run support of about 3.14 per game. If you were to take one run of support away from each of Lincecum & Cain and give it to Zito, that would put Lincecum at 3.95, Cain at 3.33 and Zito at 5.14. That would amount to about 3 extra wins for the Giants up to this date.

Leave a comment:

• BiZmaRK
    replied
    Originally posted by chris14 View Post
    Lincecum already has 6 runs of support tonight but more importantly has a no no through 6.
    Precisely why they should move that run support to nights when Zito is pitching.

Leave a comment:

• Rich the Giants fan
    replied
    Well, the Giants couldn't get a run on the board today for Cain.
    Wilson is in now. We could have used a fith of what his run support has been this season today for the win.
    I hope Sabian gets Sanchez and Willingham or Dunn.
    Throw Garko in the OF with Sanchez at 2B and Dunn at 1B.
    We need runs!
    They sure would need runs with Garko (12 games of OF experience in his pro career and slow as a slug) and Dunn in that configuration, what with all the runs they'd give up.

Leave a comment:

• chris14
    replied
    As for today..
    Cain just went 9 scoreless and the Ginats are batting in the bottom of the 9th.
    Get a run to get Cain his MLB leading 13th win!!! :crossfingers:
    Well, the Giants couldn't get a run on the board today for Cain.
    Wilson is in now. We could have used a fith of what his run support has been this season today for the win.
    I hope Sabian gets Sanchez and Willingham or Dunn.
    Throw Garko in the OF with Sanchez at 2B and Dunn at 1B.
    We need runs!

Leave a comment:

• chris14
    replied
    Sorry guys. My bad.

As for today..
    Cain just went 9 scoreless and the Ginats are batting in the bottom of the 9th.
    Get a run to get Cain his MLB leading 13th win!!! :crossfingers:

Leave a comment:

• hallzee
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Oh, so it was your fault!

Does posting about it count as talking (or even texting) about it? I too believe the Baseball Gods, in their infinite wisdom, foresaw the advent of the internet! :cap:

Leave a comment:

• Rich the Giants fan
    replied
    Oh, so it was your fault!

Leave a comment:

• chris14
    replied
    Lincecum already has 6 runs of support tonight but more importantly has a no no through 6.

Leave a comment:

• BiZmaRK
    replied
    Originally posted by hallzee View Post
    Baseball is a mental game - when certain guys are on the hill, the other 8 players expect a win... When certain others are on the mound, they'll maybe not expect a win so much.

Brings the whole team tempo down defensively, and in the case of Zito - offensively too. JMHO.
    The importance of the offense putting up runs is far greater when Zito is pitching than when Lincecum or Cain is pitching. The hitters are major leaguers and are out to win. So they should know this and put up just as much an effort when Zito is pitching as when Cain and Lincecum are pitching.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X