Brad Penny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Penny

Giants are rumored to be interested in Brad Penny, who was recently released by the Red Sox. What are your thoughts?

He probably wouldn't be any worse than the Sadowski/Martinez combo we've used since Johnson went out IMO. I say if he wants to come in, probably for cheap as he's getting his money from the BoSox still, bring him aboard.

I'm not saying he'd be a great pitcher for the Giants, but probably an upgrade at the end of the rotation from what we have now.

Can't imagine there was a reason why he was released, like I don't know, maybe his 5.61 ERA? Perhaps it was his cumulative two year ERA of 5.89? Or maybe it was just because he sucks.

On the other hand, he'd come at a prorated portion of the ML minimum and they wouldn't be obligated to him for next year and it would reduce the temptation to bring up Bumgarner and subject him and his mediocre breaking pitches to big league hitters that he's not yet ready for, so I guess I'm not against it.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

On the other hand, I really doubt that Martinez will make another start this season. By the time the fifth spot rolls around again it will be September and there will be other options available to them. And with a off day on Monday, they could even skip that spot for a week and postpone any decision.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

And adding another player from outside the organization, or even from within but not on the 40-man roster would require a tough roster decision, either placing someone on the 60-day DL or DFA'ing someone.

Comment

The only way I would pick up Penny is if he agreed to transition in the bullpen because his repetoir dictates as much. The problem with Penny according to my observation is that he's essentially a 2 pitch pitcher. He overuses his fastball and while its mid 90's, it's straight as an arrow. He's only really effective when he gets his curveball over because his show-me changeup is not a good one.

Anyhow, he's the type of guy who could greatly benefit from a move to the bullpen despite the fact that historically, his highest ERA has come on pitch 1-15. He would have to find a way to loosen up faster if he were to be successful at it. I guess I wouldn't try to add him now as a smooth transition is unlikely this year, but maybe I'd lowball an offer in the offseason.
          Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 08-28-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I don't know, Maybe Penny is just done. But this guy, when he's right, can be really effective. Heck, Smoltz did OK after leaving Boston, maybe the same would be true for Penny. I'd pick him up just to have him pitch against the Dodgers!
            “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Well, I guess you could bring him in, and trot him out. The Sox are covering his salary; and his era is almost 2 clicks below Martinez'. :ooo:

I really hope that Joe does better his next start (if he gets one). Turn out the lights on this season if our top three pitchers don't get a little help.
              "There's no crying in Baseball!"
              -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

Looks like Penny is in!

Buck55 called it: http://www.comcast.net/articles/spor...-Penny-Giants/

Comment

Is this the point where I feign excitement?

Comment

Reasons I'm intrigued by the signing:
                    A. We are going to pay him less than $100,000.
                    B. We didn't have to give up a prospect (or anyone, for that matter) to get him.
                    C. He still has pretty good stuff.
                    D. There has been a precedent set this season for a Boston pitcher moving to the NL and succeeding, so hopefully he follows it.
                    E. He'll be competing closely against the Hated Dodgers, one of his former teams.

Reason I'm suspicious:
                    A. It's Brian Sabean signing a veteran player. Hmm...how has that worked so far?

All-in-all, I have a lot of guarded intrigue regarding this.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dravecky43 View Post
                      All-in-all, I have a lot of guarded intrigue regarding this.
                      I think that pretty much sums it up... Hey, it's better than trotting Joe out there again (or can't be any worse??)!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                        Is this the point where I feign excitement?
                        I lol'd.

Comment

Reasons I'm intrigued by the signing:
                          A. We are going to pay him less than $100,000.
                          B. We didn't have to give up a prospect (or anyone, for that matter) to get him.
                          C. He still has pretty good stuff.
                          D. There has been a precedent set this season for a Boston pitcher moving to the NL and succeeding, so hopefully he follows it.
                          E. He'll be competing closely against the Hated Dodgers, one of his former teams.
                          F. Hitters in the NL West for the most part cannot compare to the AL East, talent level wise overall.
                          G. He gets one "easy out" because there is no DH.

Reason I'm suspicious:
                          A. It's Brian Sabean signing a veteran player. Hmm...how has that worked so far?
                          REALLY makes me suspicious that Sabean reads this board, because he doesn't know what he's doing, and got the idea from Buck55...

Comment

Looks like Penny may get two shots at the Dodgers if the rotation holds. :crossfingers:
                            “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
                              Looks like Penny may get two shots at the Dodgers if the rotation holds. :crossfingers:
                              Well at the very least it should be worth the price of admission.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X