Jeff Kent comes home for good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Kent comes home for good...

Jeff Kent, one of the most enigmatic players to ever where the orange and black, gave a long interview yesterday:
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=sf

Notable is that he will always consider himself a Giant, and that orange SF will be what he'll be wearing when he enters the HOF in five years. He's not the friendliest guy in the world, and I'm not sure I'd want him over for dinner, but you can't deny he busted his hump every time he took the field. Welcome back Jeff...
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 08-30-2009, 01:52 AM.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Kent was a ballplayer.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Kent seems like a nice enough guy. I wonder why he gets such a bad rep as a teammate? He even gave credit to Bonds for making him a better player.

Comment

Kent was a guy that would tell it like it was. He gave 100% on the field, and would call out anyone that wasn't. Glad that he got the standing 'O' tonight at the yard.
        "There's no crying in Baseball!"
        -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

Originally posted by hallzee View Post
          Kent was a guy that would tell it like it was. He gave 100% on the field, and would call out anyone that wasn't. Glad that he got the standing 'O' tonight at the yard.
          I always knew when it came time to honor Kent at AT&T he'd get a standing ovation. He always played hard and we fans always appreciated that.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

hallzee: Kent was a guy that would tell it like it was. He gave 100% on the field, and would call out anyone that wasn't. Glad that he got the standing 'O' tonight at the yard.

while all pretty much true, hallzee, kent is also one of the most self-serving men one could ever meet.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

"Showing up in the most hated uniform and getting booed was actually a sign of respect. It brought a smile to my face. They also hated the fact I'd wear them out, the fact that I was beating them up. The booing helped elevate my game."
              -jeff kent

all players, especially the good and great ones, feed off getting booed, at least to some degree.
              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
                He even gave credit to Bonds for making him a better player.
                He's saying this now, but you never really heard it much from him (if at all) when they were actually teammates.

I've never really liked the guy as a person, but always enjoyed watching him play and appreciated the 100% effort he gave, so I was part of the standing O at the yard tonight.

Comment

^
                  oh, maybe every other blue moon, man. haha.

i believe that kent and bonds were just as much rivals as they were teammates.

Comment

The only two issues I have with Kent are his poor WS showing (save for one good game in a blowout) and that he came out against gay marriage, but only one of those issues is even relevant.

I gave him a well deserved standing O.
                    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

BTW, I saw the Giants game Saturday where Kruk and Kuip had Kent in the booth. What's up with Jeff kissing up to those guys?? Mike and Duane are about the best around, but sheesh, Jeff threw out some major butt kissing. One wonders why? Jeff does very little without a reason. I wonder if he wants a job?

And Tony, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are correct, Jeff Kent is a very self serving guy. Always has been. That doesn't diminish one bit of what he did on the field for the team, but it does diminish him as a person.
                      “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X