i'm in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm in!

fellow giants fans, use however many words you want to tell me why you oughtta be the one to accompany me to mays field for the saturday, 12 september 6:05 game against the hated dodgers.

please post your one answer here on this thread by 6:05 pm on saturday, 05 september to be eligible.

i KNOW you wanna go to this game.
    the place is gonna be packed!
    and rockin!

any questions; comments?
    ask, write here or pm me.

thanx, all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 08-31-2009, 06:43 PM.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    fellow giants fans, use however many words you want to tell me why you oughtta be the one to accompany me to mays field for the saturday, 12 september 6:05 game against the hated dodgers.
    WOW, not only do we get to bask in your presence, but see a Giant's-Dodger's game too?! COOL!

Seriously, very nice offer, late season Dodgers games are the best, especially when both teams are looking to be in the post season. You're right, the place'll be rocking. Too damn bad they don't have to walk in from the outfield any more. Boy it was fun booing Lasorda, he looked like he enjoyed it too.

Anyway, here's why I should go:

I'm in the Giant's

My earwax has been tested and approved for MLB use by Gaylord Perry.

Bleed orange, not red.

My bruises are black and orange. Never, ever blue.

When I went from long hair to short, the hair was donated and used to stuff Jose Uribe's glove.

Remember the substance Moises Alou used to toughen his skin? Yep, I provided that too.

My niece doesn't have stuffed bears, she has stuffed pandas.

Sorry, it was me that broke his other flap forcing him to use only one.

When my first born came out of the womb, he didn't cry, he hummed.

These, and many others, are why I should win this prize.

-----------

Thanks for the opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post
      Boy it was fun booing Lasorda, he looked like he enjoyed it too.
      I harbored this fantasy back in the day...I'd be watching a Dodgers/Giants game at Candlestick on my TV- Game of the Week- and some enterprising Giants fan would bait a submarine sandwich or something to a fishing pole, and cast it right in front of the visitors dugout. It would dangle in front of Mr. Lasorda, and as he tried to reach it, said Fisher Of Buffoons would pull the line back.

This ranked second to my fantasy of George Steinbrenner doing one up on Ray Kroc by appearing on Yankee Stadium's Diamond Vision during BP to berate Winfield for saving his best efforts for the spring time.

Comment

I know I am disqualified from the start for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is my screen name here, but mainly the commute. But what true baseball fan in their right mind would not take a stab, even a totally futile one, at getting a ticket to such a game? So here is my gesture of futility... a scene of imagination, mainly because that's the only way I'll get to see that game.

~~~~~~~

Evening sunlight paints stripes of light and shadow across the outfield. The sound of the crowd is like the rushing of a river, the mass of people shimmering and ever-moving in the stands. A warm evening so far, but bound to grow chilly as the wind shifts after sunset. A sea of people fill the ballpark by the Bay, decked in many permutations of orange and black, with a fair portion of out-of-towners wearing the blue and white of the visitors and rivals. There is some good-natured verbal sparring in the concourses where the opposing fans stand together in lines for hot dogs, Louisiana hot links and sodas, but nothing too pointed, nothing too mean.

Still, there is an edge to the crowd – the Giants are making a run which no one expected at the beginning of the year. The pitching has been good to excellent, the offense enough to support the pitchers’ efforts. While the Dodgers seem to have the division well in hand, there are still two weeks and more to play, and the Giants are hungry, and know that they have a chance. The wild card is the more attainable prize, but many of the fans decked in the orange and black are thinking, daring to think, “what if…? Wouldn’t it be cool if…?”

Some are wildly optimistic, others more pragmatic. Many would have been satisfied, in April, with a record of a game or two over .500; to dare think of the wild card, let alone the division, feels like wishing for too much. Some banish from their minds any idea of playoffs or pennants, as if even imagining such things will jinx them.

Fans make their way up ramps and down aisles, carrying cups, trays, scorebooks, jackets, blankets, cameras. Some fans hunker down with earphones on, Jon Miller’s voice providing a narration to the late-summer night. People talk, and laugh, snap pictures and natter away on cellphones, dashing off texts to scattered acquaintances. Kids hang over fences, pleading for an autograph, their voices like those of young birds as they repeat, “Here! Here, Please! Here! Please!”

On the field, players sprint and stretch; pitchers toss in the bullpens. There is laughter and chatter, the sharp smack! of balls hitting gloves and mitts. Overhead, gulls wheel against the opal-blue sky. Music pulses from the speakers. The crowd shimmers, restless, always moving. The air smells of grass and popcorn and hot dogs and the sea.

As the sun drifts downward, the crowd in the stands grows more dense, and the mood changes as the evening gets down to business. The lineups, with attendant stats, are written in scorebooks, and the out-of-town scores are scrutinized, standings being calculated in thousands of heads.

The hour approaches. The stands are nearly full now. Colors are presented, the national anthem sung. A child shouts “Play ball”, and the crowd cheers – this is what we all came here for. A late-season game, a matchup of rivals, both scenting the playoffs. The Giants run out onto the field, their white uniforms so bright against the grass, and the crowd roars its love for them, hoping, wishing, daring to imagine, “what if…?”

How I’d love to be there! I’d love to be part of that crowd, in that beautiful ballpark. I’d love to watch the fielders shift a few steps to the left or right in accordance with the pitch, feel that moment of tension as each pitch is thrown. I’d love to try to foresee each manager’s strategy, to try to deduce what the next pitch will be, whether the runner will be sent, whether there will be a pitch-out. I’d love to critique the umpires, see if the ball is hit deep enough to justify waving the runner around from second base. I’d love to listen to other fans in the crowd, to talk baseball with my gracious host, sharing baseball with fellow-fans.

I know I’m from the wrong coast, wrong rivalry, wrong league, wrong team to have even the faintest chance at winning that prized ticket. I know I’ve only been to Mays Field twice, more than a year ago. I know that the Giants are not my primary team, and although I do follow them, and root for them, the ticket should by all rights go to a devoted fan of the orange and black. I know I haven’t a chance…. But it doesn’t stop me from wanting to be there, from wishing I could be the lucky one. I so seldom get to go to a game (fewer than 20 in my whole life!), and though this is a futile exercise, I just have to try. I want to go to that game. The knowledge that I can’t does not stop me from envisioning it, from seeing and hearing and smelling it, feeling the mood of the crowd, the anticipation and the hope, and thinking…

What if…?
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

WOW, not only do we get to bask in your presence, but see a Giant's-Dodger's game too?! COOL!

Seriously, very nice offer, late season Dodgers games are the best, especially when both teams are looking to be in the post season. You're right, the place'll be rocking. Too damn bad they don't have to walk in from the outfield any more. Boy it was fun booing Lasorda, he looked like he enjoyed it too.

Anyway, here's why I should go:

I'm in the Giant's

My earwax has been tested and approved for MLB use by Gaylord Perry.

Bleed orange, not red.

My bruises are black and orange. Never, ever blue.

When I went from long hair to short, the hair was donated and used to stuff Jose Uribe's glove.

Remember the substance Moises Alou used to toughen his skin? Yep, I provided that too.

My niece doesn't have stuffed bears, she has stuffed pandas.

Sorry, it was me that broke his other flap forcing him to use only one.

When my first born came out of the womb, he didn't cry, he hummed.

These, and many others, are why I should win this prize.

-----------

Thanks for the opportunity!
          Dude stole everything I was going to say!! :cap:
          "There's no crying in Baseball!"
          -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post
            I know I am disqualified from the start for a bunch of reasons, but mainly the commute. But what true baseball fan in their right mind would not take a stab, even a totally futile one, at getting a ticket to such a game? So here is my gesture of futility... a scene of imagination, mainly because that's the only way I'll get to see that game.
            <Snip>
            The knowledge that I can’t does not stop me from envisioning it, from seeing and hearing and smelling it, feeling the mood of the crowd, the anticipation and the hope, and thinking…

What if…?
            :bowdown: :applaud:

You, sir, are a baseball fan, got some nice writing skills going on as well.

Loved it, and thank you for sharing.

Comment

:bowdown: :applaud:

You, sir, are a baseball fan, got some nice writing skills going on as well.

Loved it, and thank you for sharing.
              Thank you. I do love baseball.

I'm hoping that there may be a consolation prize of some sort.
              --Annie
              Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
              Remember Yellowdog
              ABNY

Comment

I'll be there in the bleachers, section 138.
                San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

so sorry that i have not responded 'til now. the flu hit me pretty hard.

the following words decided it for me:
                  "I know I haven’t a chance … I just have to try. I want to go to that game. The knowledge that I can’t does not stop me from envisioning it ... and thinking… What if…?"

"what if?"
                  i happen to try to lead my life by these words.
                  and these words are, to me, what a fan is all about.

sec 128, row 11 for vtsoxfan.
                  "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Wow. I won? I never win anything! :blush:

I thank you very kindly, and if there were a way to do it, I would gladly use the ticket you have offered.

Supposed to be rainy and chilly here tomorrow; how much nicer it would be to sit in the sun and watch a game, in the City by the Bay!

Perhaps a rain check, should I ever get out that way again?
                    --Annie
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X