2012 San Francisco Giants Season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Isn't that two straight blown saves for Casillas??
    I hate to say it, but Casillas is no Brian Wilson. Fear the Beard!!

Fear the Beard.jpg
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• So the Giants swept the Houston Astros at home over the weekend. That's great but I'm not sure what the really tells us about the Giants. The Giants are in first but I have some concerns.

1) The Giants have been outscored this season by two runs. That is not a good sign. Teams with negative run differentials don't usually make the post season. I believe only five division winners have ever been outscored and four of the five teams didn't do anything in the postseason. Given that, the NL West is weak this season so the Giants should win the divison easily.

2) The Giants play poorly on the road. Well, actually they pitch poorly on the road. Get this, the Giants have allowed the second most runs on the road in the NL. The Giants have been outscored on the road by 36 runs which has led to a 20-24 road record. The ironic part is the Giants have hit well on the road. They are #5 in road scoring. Cain, Lincecum, and Bumgarner have some extreme home/road splits. A few weeks ago after the Giants swept the Dodgers at home the Giants went on the road for 6 games and lost 5 of 6. I'm not sure what the Giants struggle so much pitching on the road?

I hope this upcoming road trip the Giants can get it together and show more consistency on the road. Legit World Series caliber teams are almost always strong road teams. The Giants need to get better on the road to get far in the postseason IMO.
      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Wow, the Giants win 9-0 in Atlanta as Posey goes 3 for 5 with 5 RBI. Zito pitches 7 strong innings allowing just 3 hits and 1 walk.

Comment

• Well, it's hard to complain in the midst of a five game win streak, but the team has a HUGE issue with it's closer. Casillas is losing it for some unknown reason. Romo doesn't have the arm to handle the load, Affeldt and Lopez are situational guys, and even Hembree is on the DL in Fresno. So I am at a loss to know what to do. Sabes could probably pry Heath Bell out of the Marlin's doghouse, but I'm sure he doesn't want to take on the contract.

Ideas??? Anyone??? Bueller?
          “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• The Giants outhit the Braves today 9 to 3 yet lose the game 3-2.

Comment

• Giants win in Philadelphia today 7-2. So far the Giants are 3-1 on this road trip. Me like!

Comment

• Boy Brandon Crawford is en fuego!!!! :bowdown:Just carrying the team the last couple of days. And he made an outstanding play at SS yesterday. Nothin' like hitting in a minature ballpark to get a guy going!
                “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• Voggie looks good last night as the Giants beat the Padres, 7-1. Brandon Belt didn't play. I'm at an utter loss to explain why Belt is struggling so much. In early June it looked like Belt had finally turned the corner. On June 23, Belt was hitting .273/.395/.453. Since then Belt has gone 9 for 66 hitting .136/.205/.197. Ugh.

Comment

• Angel Pagan made an amazing catch. I miss that guy.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• yes the close game, that play saved a run or two, ended the rally, just a phenomenal play from Pagan making the catch to getting up making an off balance throw to Crawford's quick relay to nipping the runner
                      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Buster Posey has a chance to become the first Giants catcher with 100+ RBI since Dick Deitz in 1970 I believe. Go Buster!!!

Dick Dietz.jpg

Dick Dietz.png

Comment

• So I checked and Dietz's 107 RBI season in 1970 is the only 100+ RBI season in San Francisco Giants history! The next best season was Bengie Molina's 95 RBI in 2008.

Comment

• Dietz actually had a higher offensive WAR than league MVP Johnny Bench that year
                            1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                            2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                            3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                              Dietz actually had a higher offensive WAR than league MVP Johnny Bench that year
                              Dietz must have been something to watch at the plate in 1970.

.300/.426/.515, 153 OPS+, 22 HR, 107 RBI, 82 R, 36 doubles, 109 BB, 106 K

Didn't Dietz have a serious knee injury that ended his career a few years later?

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                                Didn't Dietz have a serious knee injury that ended his career a few years later?
                                Actually, it was a broken wrist Wags.

My main memory of Dietz is from 1968. In the middle of Drysdale's shutout streak, the Giants got the bases loaded and Dietz came up. Drysdale then hits him in the shoulder and genious umpire Harry Wendlestedt refuses to award him 1B claiming that Dick didn't try to get out of the way of the pitch. Dick went ballistic (who could blame him) but Drysdale gets him out eventually and the streak went on. A stupid call that is almost never made, one really had to wonder why Wendlestedt made it

BTW, the way Buster is going, I'd be amazed if he didn't get to 100 rbi's.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X