Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Actually, it was a broken wrist Wags.

My main memory of Dietz is from 1968. In the middle of Drysdale's shutout streak, the Giants got the bases loaded and Dietz came up. Drysdale then hits him in the shoulder and genious umpire Harry Wendlestedt refuses to award him 1B claiming that Dick didn't try to get out of the way of the pitch. Dick went ballistic (who could blame him) but Drysdale gets him out eventually and the streak went on. A stupid call that is almost never made, one really had to wonder why Wendlestedt made it

BTW, the way Buster is going, I'd be amazed if he didn't get to 100 rbi's.
    Wow, what a crazy call by Wendlestedt. Wasn't there another crazy call during Orel Hershiser's scoring streak that involved the Giants and Robby Thompson? I'll go check it out.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Ok, I found it! During the third inning of a Sept. 23, 1988 game, the Giants had runners on first (Brett Butler) and third (Jose Uribe) and one out. Ernest Riles hit a grounder to second and the Dodgers tried to turn a double play. Riles beats the throw to first and Uribe scored. However, second base umpire Paul Runge ruled that Brett Butler obstructed Dodgers shortstop Alfredo Griffin as he attempted to complete a double play. Even though Uribe crossed the plate, the run didn't count. Hershiser's streak extended to 49 consecutive shutout innings.
      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 07-26-2012, 12:22 PM.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Gawd I hate seeing the Giants lose to the Dodgers!!! :hissyfit:

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          Gawd I hate seeing the Giants lose to the Dodgers!!! :hissyfit:
          ESPECIALLY when the ump loses the strike zone!
          sigpic

Comment

• The Giants got blasted today 10-0!!!

Comment

The Giants got blasted today 10-0!!!
              It was actually worse than the score indicated. Just a pathetic performance all around.
              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Ok, I found it! During the third inning of a Sept. 23, 1988 game, the Giants had runners on first (Brett Butler) and third (Jose Uribe) and one out. Ernest Riles hit a grounder to second and the Dodgers tried to turn a double play. Riles beats the throw to first and Uribe scored. However, second base umpire Paul Runge ruled that Brett Butler obstructed Dodgers shortstop Alfredo Griffin as he attempted to complete a double play. Even though Uribe crossed the plate, the run didn't count. Hershiser's streak extended to 49 consecutive shutout innings.
                Thats pretty amazing both of those calls were made during Giants/Dodger games.
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Mets take on the Giants starting tonight. I'm particularly interested to see how rookie Matt Harvey takes on the Giants offense.

Harvey had 11 strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings in his MLB debut against Arizona last Thursday.
                  I'm concerned he might issue too many walks; he had 3.8 BB/9 in AAA this year.
                  The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• just a lost weekend for the Giants. The Dodgers aren't going anywhere. The Giants need to regroup. Is Hunter Pence really coming to SF?

Comment

• Why is Bochy pinch running Whiteside for Posey?
                      1) the increase in speed is negligible if anything
                      2) you are depleting a bench that is already low in players
                      3) if you get lucky and tie the game and it goes to extra innings you now have a career .216 hitter with no power replacing a career .301 hitter with decent power in the #4 spot in the lineup and Whiteside did draw a walk but still
                      4) since you are so low on players there is a possibiity that a crucial situation will come up and you have no pinch hitters available and this almost happened in the bottom of the 10th after the giants gave up 2 runs in the 10th you get a run back and have two runners on and 2 outs with Belt up and the pitcher on deck with no available pinch hitter (why the Mets pitched to Belt I will never know)
                      all these problems for a runner who might be 3-5% faster than Posey

you only have 5 bench players (one is the pitiful Aubrey Huff who looks like he got reinjured his first at bat after missing 7 weeks) and you pinch run a catcher for another cathcer and defensively replace a OF (Pagan) with another OF (Blanco)

very poorly managed game IMO yes I know if Romo is Romo bah blah blah but nothing is guaranteed
                      Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 07-31-2012, 12:34 AM.
                      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• just read the Pagan had to be replaced because he punched something in frustration and hurt his hand (least he finally hit something)
                        which makes the pinch running for Posey even more puzzling - roster was already thin
                        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

• Zito was garbage to day. he gave up 4 runs in the first inning and went 4.1 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 1K as the Giants lost 9-1. The Giants have a negative run differential (-3) again.

Comment

• First game I attended since 2009, why de we get stuck With Zito, walk, walk, HBP (2 strikes on batter), texas league single, then a hard drive off of cabrera's glove (hit) 4 runs and we knew the game was over before the Giants even came to bat

Comment

• Giants getting hammered by the Cardinals 8-2. Why do the Giants suck against the good teams?

Comment

• Wow, what has gotten into Buster Posey?!! He's hit a three-run home run in the top of the first inning! He's got 18 HRs and 73 RBI now! Dick Dietz is going down!
                                Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 08-07-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X