Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Barry Zito + Coors Field = beat down?
    So of course Zito pitches a 4-hit, zero-walk, complete game, shutout AT COORS FIELD! Giants win 7-0.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

This is Barry Zito's first complete game shutout since April 13, 2003! :disbelief:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00304180.shtml
      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-09-2012, 04:49 PM.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Well now how's that for irony?
        San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
          Well now how's that for irony?
          Just crazy! :stupidme:

Comment

From the humorous Grant Brisbee.

Today's start, though, was a reminder that there's a way for Zito to pitch well that doesn't involve science fiction. It's not like you have to start with, "Okay, suppose Zito is bitten by a radioactive Greg Maddux." He has to have command, and then he'll succeed. Seems so simple. Obviously, it isn't. If Jonathan Sanchez had command, he'd be pre-injury Johan Santana. If Shawn Estes had command, he'd still be pitching. If Madison Bumgarner had command, he'd be a badass young pitcher. Which he is. That probably isn't a great example of how hard it is to throw strikes, but it's a great example of Madison Bumgarner being a badass.

But the topic of the day isn't Bumgarner. It's Barry Zito, who was phenomenal. Barry Zito. No one gave him a chance in Coors Field, after the spring he had. He had one of his very best outings as a San Francisco Giant -- his first complete-game shutout as a Giant! --, and he did it with exceptional timing. If Zito got bombed today, the "It's still the first week of the season!" cries would have felt really, really hollow. It would have been 0-4 with everything swirling around the drain. Instead, Barry Zito had good command, and the Rockies kept waving through pitches and popping them up.

SOURCE

Comment

So of course Zito pitches a 4-hit, zero-walk, complete game, shutout AT COORS FIELD! Giants win 7-0.
              Hell froze over this afternoon I think!!

Zito was masterful, no other way to put it. There's been talk that Rags and Boch were trying to get Zito to be more Moyer-like, and wow, looks like it worked! Just the most unexpected day in Giants baseball that i can remember.
              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post

Zito was masterful, no other way to put it. There's been talk that Rags and Boch were trying to get Zito to be more Moyer-like, and wow, looks like it worked! Just the most unexpected day in Giants baseball that i can remember.
                Well at least since Mike Benjamin had 14 hits over three consecutive games back in June 1995! Remember that?!!

http://kevinschindler.suite101.com/m...-games-a375632

Comment

Well at least since Mike Benjamin had 14 hits over three consecutive games back in June 1995! Remember that?!!

LOL, OK, the most unexpected day in the last 17 years...
                  “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post

I was driving home looking up for flying pigs, personally.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

I used to talk with Benji a lot during that season and was there for his 4-for-6 game that started the stretch (in which Rondell White hit for the cycle for the Expos). He was a real nice guy, if not a fantastic hitter. His dad was a Dodgers fan in Los Angeles before Mike came up but he switched allegence from the Dark Side, much to his co-workers dismay.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                        I used to talk with Benji a lot during that season and was there for his 4-for-6 game that started the stretch (in which Rondell White hit for the cycle for the Expos). He was a real nice guy, if not a fantastic hitter. His dad was a Dodgers fan in Los Angeles before Mike came up but he switched allegence from the Dark Side, much to his co-workers dismay.
                        Great story, Rich!

Comment

Lost in the all the Barry Zito pitched a CG hoopla was Zito's 11-pitch at-bat where he got a single.

http://www.baycityball.com/2012/04/0...-pitch-at-bat/
                          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Wags; Wasnt that something, Zitos at bat. That guy wasnt throwing any creampuffs in there, either. 96mph.What an ala mode that was on his great day. I hope he has many more.

Comment

It was just Zito's day I suppose.

Comment

Timmy is having another ugly game so far. The Giants are down 4-0 in the bottom of the third inning. :dismay:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X