Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

Is Freddy Sanchez done?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Freddy Sanchez done?

    Is Freddy Sanchez done?

    Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Sanchez had a setback while rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder in the minors, with manager Bruce Bochy describing it as “a little tightness in the shoulder.”

    Bochy classified the situation as “a setback” but also added that “we’re hoping it’s a minor one.”

    Come on guys is any setback with Sanchez minor? He has not even been on the field on defense yet. If the Giants feel he is need him to get into the playoffs or even past the first round they need to act now. I am not sure they can't do with what they have, but that is management's call.

    Your thoughts?

  • #2
    It's troubling that Sanchez can't seem to rehab the shoulder. It's been quite a while since he's injured it, and one would think that if it was going to have healed, it would have done so by now. I think Sabes and Boch are pretty much thinking that Freddy will be a no-show for 2012 and are moving on from there.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
      It's troubling that Sanchez can't seem to rehab the shoulder. It's been quite a while since he's injured it, and one would think that if it was going to have healed, it would have done so by now. I think Sabes and Boch are pretty much thinking that Freddy will be a no-show for 2012 and are moving on from there.
      If Sanchez is done for 2012 I hope Burriss gets the lion share of the time at second. I think he will surprise management with his play.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by The Bear View Post
        If Sanchez is done for 2012 I hope Burriss gets the lion share of the time at second. I think he will surprise management with his play.
        Evidently Freddy had a setback, he wont even attempt to play for another week. Ya gotta feel sorry for him...
        “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

        Comment


        • #5
          At this point I don't believe the Giants think there is much chance he will return. I really feel sorry for Freddy as he gave all he had to the game, and when healthy he was one great player.

          Comment


          • #6
            I can think of few guys who have been given as many chances as Burriss has over the years...its almost like the Giants see something in him that they do not want to give up on...however, in the end, rarely produces...I am not a Giants fan either...the Giants need players to fit their stadium and the lack of home runs the stadium produces...they need some pop and some speed, and they do not seem to address that very much...Cabrera was an decent pick up, but Pagan was a head-scratcher in my opinion...Sanchez may not be back in the near future, but may want to start looking to address the position in trade somehow

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
              I can think of few guys who have been given as many chances as Burriss has over the years...its almost like the Giants see something in him that they do not want to give up on...however, in the end, rarely produces...I am not a Giants fan either...the Giants need players to fit their stadium and the lack of home runs the stadium produces...they need some pop and some speed, and they do not seem to address that very much...Cabrera was an decent pick up, but Pagan was a head-scratcher in my opinion...Sanchez may not be back in the near future, but may want to start looking to address the position in trade somehow
              What Burriss has is speed, and a fair glove. I think he could be a .260 to .270 hitter, and I think the Giants would be happy with that as long as he plays defense. They do need a power hitter that will give them 35 to 40 HR'S. Where they find this player I have no clue.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
                Sanchez may not be back in the near future, but may want to start looking to address the position in trade somehow
                What you may not know is that the Giants have their 2Bman of the future in A ball right now, so I doubt they want to commit long term to someone at that position.
                “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
                  What you may not know is that the Giants have their 2Bman of the future in A ball right now, so I doubt they want to commit long term to someone at that position.
                  A ball? Can't count on that...looking perhaps at best two years then before he come up

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I really feel bad for Freddy. He was always one of my favorite players. He was injured a couple of times in the minors and that slowed him down- but, he ALWAYS hit. He didn't get a break with the Pirates until he was 27- he hit well and played really good defense at 3rd base. Won a BA title the next year- really hit the ball well. Freddy never walked much, but he was an excellent contact hitter who had quite a few line drives for extra base hits. Arm/shoulder problems made it tough for him at 2B, but overall he did a good job there. Without injuries, I believe Freddy would have been an all star at least 2 or 3 additional times. It's really going to be hard for him to come back at age 34, but I'm rooting for him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
                      What you may not know is that the Giants have their 2Bman of the future in A ball right now, so I doubt they want to commit long term to someone at that position.
                      Do you mean Joe P.? Many things can happen on the way to the show so excuse me if I need to wait a bit longer before I will agree.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                        I really feel bad for Freddy. He was always one of my favorite players. He was injured a couple of times in the minors and that slowed him down- but, he ALWAYS hit. He didn't get a break with the Pirates until he was 27- he hit well and played really good defense at 3rd base. Won a BA title the next year- really hit the ball well. Freddy never walked much, but he was an excellent contact hitter who had quite a few line drives for extra base hits. Arm/shoulder problems made it tough for him at 2B, but overall he did a good job there. Without injuries, I believe Freddy would have been an all star at least 2 or 3 additional times. It's really going to be hard for him to come back at age 34, but I'm rooting for him.
                        I agree Ron, but I fear we may have seen the last of a useful Freddy Sanchez. I hope I am wrong, but I think it is over for him.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think, and have thought for a while, that Freddy is likely done. I don't think his shoulder can take the rigors of MLB anymore. I hope he proves me wrong, as that would benefit the team greatly. However, I do believe in Burriss. I don't agree that he's been given many undue chances, either. His first year in the majors he hit .283, warrenting more playing time, but instead saw less his second year, struggling in the face of inconsistent playing time. The next season he spent the majority of in the minors. Then last season they were forced to turn to him in the absence of Sanchez, so Cap78, I really don't agree with you. He's a former first round pick so it's clear that management believes he has some measure of talent, so you can't blame them for giving him a chance in spring training, where he earned his chance to play now. He's done ok so far, better than Ryan Theriot. I like his speed and his glove, as well as his energy level.

                          However, while I really like Panik, I don't agree that he is the clear cut 2B of the future, or that A-ball is as far as they need to look. Charlie Culberson has been playing quite well so far in Fresno (Triple-A ball, of course), and I really like Double-A 2B Ryan Cavan. Conor Gillaspie has played mostly 3B (and a little 1B this year) in the minors but I believe he could probably make the conversion to 2B as well, and he's hitting the ball real well too.
                          San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

                          "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

                          "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                            I think, and have thought for a while, that Freddy is likely done. I don't think his shoulder can take the rigors of MLB anymore. I hope he proves me wrong, as that would benefit the team greatly. However, I do believe in Burriss. I don't agree that he's been given many undue chances, either. His first year in the majors he hit .283, warrenting more playing time, but instead saw less his second year, struggling in the face of inconsistent playing time. The next season he spent the majority of in the minors. Then last season they were forced to turn to him in the absence of Sanchez, so Cap78, I really don't agree with you. He's a former first round pick so it's clear that management believes he has some measure of talent, so you can't blame them for giving him a chance in spring training, where he earned his chance to play now. He's done ok so far, better than Ryan Theriot. I like his speed and his glove, as well as his energy level.

                            However, while I really like Panik, I don't agree that he is the clear cut 2B of the future, or that A-ball is as far as they need to look. Charlie Culberson has been playing quite well so far in Fresno (Triple-A ball, of course), and I really like Double-A 2B Ryan Cavan. Conor Gillaspie has played mostly 3B (and a little 1B this year) in the minors but I believe he could probably make the conversion to 2B as well, and he's hitting the ball real well too.
                            Don't forget Buster. He would not be the first catcher to switch to 2B. I also believe he player some second in college. The day will come when the Giants will move Posey to another position to help give him a longer career.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The Bear View Post
                              Don't forget Buster. He would not be the first catcher to switch to 2B. I also believe he player some second in college. The day will come when the Giants will move Posey to another position to help give him a longer career.
                              Buster is not moving to 2B.
                              San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

                              "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

                              "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X