Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    The Giants may be interested in Ryan Ludwick or Scott Hairston.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...gers-cubs.html

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
    I'm wondering if one reason for the contract was the struggles of Gary Brown in AA?
    Right now Gary Brown is a big ? for the Giants. His 2012 season at AA Richmond was quite a disappointment. I read Keith Law's writings and I have a great respect for his knowledge about scouting prospects. He's never been that high on Brown, thinks he'll hit for zero power and have poor walk rates in the majors. But Law also said that Brown could still be a solid major league who hits .300 and plays great defense. I Also, Brown is not a young prospect. He's already 24 years old. He does have great tools, so I am hoping he can translate his tools into production. I wonder if he'll start 2013 back at AA Richmond or be promoted to AAA Fresno?

Here is what Law said about Brown before the 2012 season. Brown was the only Giant (#68) that was on Law's 2012 Top 100 Prospects list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brown is at least a 70 runner who covers a ton of ground in center field and profiles as an above-average regular in the big leagues because of the value he'll add on defense.

He is one of the fastest right-handed hitters I've ever clocked from home to first -- the fastest is the prospect at the top of this list -- and his hands are very quick, allowing him to stay inside the ball well. But his swing is very linear and he doesn't let the ball travel, so there's not much present or future power here. And while he makes a ton of contact he's never been a high-walk guy to potentially generate .400 OBPs.

He'll probably end up cast as a leadoff type because of his speed, but I see more of a .300 hitter without great secondary skills who saves 10 runs a year with his glove in center.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO the key to Brown being a successful major leaguer is to draw walks and hit .300. If he has zero power that's ok. A guy with his speed, that plays great defense, and hits .300 with a good OBP will be a valuable player in AT&T Park even if he hits 8 home runs a year..

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    I'm wondering if one reason for the contract was the struggles of Gary Brown in AA?

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    pagan signs

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    I noticed on baseball reference .com they have the 2012 MVP voting and I think it is wrong

My undertsanding was that Posey got 27 first place votes and no one else got more than 3

But BB-ref lists Posey with 20 1st place votes and Braun with 10?

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Swisher isn't exactly the kind of guy I'd expect Sabes to go after. He's not the defender I'd like out there, especially in CF. I'd be OK with him in LF, but I'd be hesitant to go to a four year contract.
    I agree that four years is too long.

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    Swisher isn't exactly the kind of guy I'd expect Sabes to go after. He's not the defender I'd like out there, especially in CF. I'd be OK with him in LF, but I'd be hesitant to go to a four year contract.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    So the Giants may be interested in Nick Swisher after all.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...swisher-market

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    Roy, you are on a Roll!! Buy some lottery tickets quick!!

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Guys please indulge me with this story.

On Wednesday I went down to LA for a final interview with 3 execs for a pretty nice job. The interview was supposed to last 1 hour. After 25 minutes, the senior VP stopped the interview, paid me some compliments and got the other 2 to agree the interview did not need to go any further. 45 minutes later while I was at the LAX airport, they called me and offered me the position. On Friday the "paper" offer was received.

I went to a Nordstrom about 15 miles from my home to drop off some dress shoes (4 pair) - they have a shine stand and do a really nice job - I will get them in a day or 2. Anyway, the day before I received a gift card from Tommy Bahama and they have a store real close to the Nordstrom so I went in and asked the details of the gift card. Since I was in the store, I did a quick browse and saw a really cool Tommy Bahama SF Giants sweater - unfortunately they did not have my size. I asked when the next shipment was coming in (if there was one) and he said they are actually expecting a shipment of "special" 2012 World Series SF Giants sweaters any day. And then a few minutes later, guess what was delivered? I tried on a large and it was a perfect fit, but he said all these were pre-ordered and spoken for. He said I could order one and it would be here in 7-10 days. I begged and begged and begged and they let me buy one on the spot. I can tell you the pictures do not do it justice, It is spectacularly beautiful.

GO GIANTS!

036.jpg

033.jpg

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Ok the run continues

2007 Bonds sets HR record
    2007 Giants host ASG
    2008 Lincecum wins Cy Young
    2009 J Sanchez no-hitter
    2009 Lincecum wins Cy Young
    2010 Posey wins ROY
    2010 Giants set record going back to 1917 for most consecutive games allowing 3 runs or less
    2010 First WS championship in SF history
    2012 Cain Perfect game
    2012 Giants dominate ASG
    2012 Posey MVP
    2012 Giants win World Series

GO GIANTS!

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Now that left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt is signed for 2013 and beyond, second baseman Marco Scutaro might be next.

Affeldt passed a physical Tuesday, the final step in completing a three-year contract reportedly worth about $18 million. The Giants have not formally announced the deal.

According to multiple sources, the Giants are optimistic they can re-sign Scutaro, who delivered the World Series-clinching single in Detroit and, at 37, is not expecting to break the bank with his contract. He likely will get a two-year deal.

Center fielder Angel Pagan, the third important free agent the Giants hope to retain, is not expected to sign quickly as he sorts through several offers. The Giants have checked on other free-agent center fielders, including Torii Hunter and Shane Victorino, as insurance.

Affeldt pitched 67 games in each of the past two seasons and did not allow a run in 10 1/3 postseason innings this year.

"This was a critical sign for us to get Jeremy back," manager Bruce Bochy said. "He can give you multiple innings. He's effective against lefties and righties. He did a really good job stabilizing our bullpen from the sixth inning through the ninth.

"We used him anywhere. We used him in a lot of crisis situations late in the ballgame. He's really gotten better as a complete pitcher."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article...#ixzz2CAHO7ITO

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Because?

slow afoot, poor fielder, ATT is not a park to induce Home runs

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    not a good fit
    Because?

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Reports suggest that the Giants are close to re-signing NLCS MVP, Marco Scutaro, to a two year deal worth a reported 12 million dollars. With the re-signing of Affeldt and Scutaro, along with the depth of this year's free agent outfield class, there is little doubt now that the Giants will have a very successful offseason coming off their second World Series crown in three years.

http://sfgiantsfansunite.blogspot.com/

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X