No announcement yet.

SF GIANTS keys to 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though when it comes to the NL West, I am more a Dodgers fan, I still really like the Giants and think you guys still have a GREAT team! You certainly deserved those two World Series titles, regardless of the nonsense that others have spouted about being "lucky", just as they say about my Redbirds. Rubbish. You guys have a lot of VERY talented players, especially pitchers. Posey is a great C and absolutely a pleasure to watch as was mentioned earlier. Of course my bias will stick with Yadi being the best backstop in the league, but I am still a big fan of Buster. Go get 'em Giants! Time for you guys to defend that title!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Looks like Lincecum may have issues this season again. From Keith Law:

Tim Lincecum: What can we expect?
      I saw him last week, and the issues that plagued him last year are still present -- he's pitching with an average fastball that has no movement, and he doesn't have the kind of command to get away with throwing it in the upper half of the zone. Either he relies more heavily than ever on the slider, a pitch he has commented in the past bothers his elbow, or he needs a change in role.

I do think he could help this club in a high-usage relief role, kind of the way he was deployed in October, but it has been ages since any MLB team used a reliever in that fashion.
      I don't believe the Giants nor Lincecum are seriously considering Lincecum being a reliever of any sort this season.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I agree Wags, the only time the team would EVER consider Timmy for the pen is like they did in the playoffs. Not in the regular season. And Timmy would HATE pitching out of the pen.

And let's be honest here...this is Timmy's walk season. He wants a premium contract to be a starter, and to think that doesn't bare into the conversation would be naive. Which presents issues to Sabes and Boch if Timmy stinks up the place. And we all know, unless Timmy's arm falls off, somebody will give him a big deal to be a starter.So the 2013 season will be fascinating because of this issue.
        “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
          I agree Wags, the only time the team would EVER consider Timmy for the pen is like they did in the playoffs. Not in the regular season. And Timmy would HATE pitching out of the pen.

And let's be honest here...this is Timmy's walk season. He wants a premium contract to be a starter, and to think that doesn't bare into the conversation would be naive. Which presents issues to Sabes and Boch if Timmy stinks up the place. And we all know, unless Timmy's arm falls off, somebody will give him a big deal to be a starter.So the 2013 season will be fascinating because of this issue.
          If Timmy is just as terrible in 2013 as he was in 2012 I wonder what others teams would be interested in signing him as a FA? Fortunately for the Giants Crick and Blackburn should be ready to help the Giants in 2014 (I hope).
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            If Timmy is just as terrible in 2013 as he was in 2012 I wonder what others teams would be interested in signing him as a FA?
            K's over a batter per inning, average FB rate, a history of greatness.

Plenty of teams will be interested in signing Timmay

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
              K's over a batter per inning, average FB rate, a history of greatness.

Plenty of teams will be interested in signing Timmay
              Timmy's fastball is in steep decline, tops out 89-90 mph. That is the source of his problem. Is Timmy magically going to start throwing his fastball at 94-95 like he did in his Cy Young years? His fastball lacks movement. That didn't matter when he was throwing 94-95 mph. It's a major problem at 89-90 mph.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...tch-not-throw/

Comment

Timmy's fastball is in steep decline, tops out 89-90 mph. That is the source of his problem. Is Timmy magically going to start throwing his fastball at 94-95 like he did in his Cy Young years? His fastball lacks movement. That didn't matter when he was throwing 94-95 mph. It's a major problem at 89-90 mph.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...tch-not-throw/
                Agree with everything you say

Still, if teams are signing Eric Bedard and Mark Prior I think they'll sign Lincecum.

Too bad Timmy didn't agree with the Giants on a 10 year eleventy billion dollar deal after 2009 [/Dodger Fan]

Comment

Agree with everything you say

Still, if teams are signing Eric Bedard and Mark Prior I think they'll sign Lincecum.

Too bad Timmy didn't agree with the Giants on a 10 year eleventy billion dollar deal after 2009 [/Dodger Fan]
                  I have no doubt teams will be interested in Timmy. But if Timmy starts asking for $18-$20 million per season I think teams will laugh.

Comment

So what do the Giants do if Lincecum pitches like crap the first six weeks of the season? Do they just keep running him out there very five days to get hammered?

Comment

So what do the Giants do if Lincecum pitches like crap the first six weeks of the season? Do they just keep running him out there very five days to get hammered?
                      Who do they have behind him?
                      Hester, Boof Bonser? Surkamp?

Surkamp looks ok, but not sure he's ready.

Comment

Who do they have behind him?
                        Hester, Boof Bonser? Surkamp?

Surkamp looks ok, but not sure he's ready.
                        Surkamp is coming off Tommy John surgery which he had on July 25, 2012. Surkamp is a long ways from being ready to pitch in the majors and hold his own.

Comment

We're having the same issue here with Halladay. Tomorrow's start is huge as he said he's going to pitch as if it was a true game. Remains to be seen, but if he's lit up again, I'd like to see him stay in Florida to figure things out. Then it's a case of inside-the-system help to take his place.

Does Timmy have any final outings prior to the season? If he was toying around with stuff, this should be the start to get everything in gear. If he's still knocked around, it might be time to worry.
                          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Here's a good radio interview with Keith Law and Giants' beat writer Andrew Baggarly. It starts at 28:36. They discuss Tim Lincecum and Brandon Belt.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9100718

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X