Revisiting the Wheeler Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting the Wheeler Trade

Right after the 2011 trade, which was very controversial even back then, there was a decent article trying to explain the deal : The Giants Did Not Deplete Their Farm System to Land Beltran:

A farm system is designed to feed the big league club with players that can help it win. Whether the player that is helping you comes straight from the farm system, such as Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner and Pablo Sandoval among others or by trading those farm hands for major league proven players who can be plugged into voids in the lineup, the farm system has to make the big league club better.

The Giants were defending WS champs when they pulled the trigger; when they did not sign Beltran to a long term contract, it really looked like they made a bad deal. Now many fans and blogs continue to say it was a bad deal (it probably was) but the Giants were trying to repeat, and with Posey hurt they needed a bat.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...wheeler/page/2

Now the same blogs continue to rant on the deal, and while Wheeler could turn out to be a great pitcher (or he could fizzle)....the Giants went out and won another WS. So that makes 2 in the past 3 years.....or a cynic could say the Giants have now won as many WS titles in the past 3 years as Wheeler's new team has won in 51 years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-beltran-trade

So, right now the deal looks like a good one for the Mets.....yet the Mets have not won a WS since 1986. I guess we will have to wait to see which team ends up winning more ...........opinions?

It's not a bad deal until Wheeler does something good in the Bigs. Till then, we just don't know.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X