Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My visit to the Richmond Flying Squirrels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My visit to the Richmond Flying Squirrels.

Well, my family is vacationing on the East Coast, so we took the opportunity to see some of the Giants big name prospects at a Squirrels home game. This was also my first time to ever see a minor league game, and that was a treat in itself

Some thoughts on some prospects...

1) Joe Panik--well, they are playing him at second, and he showed some good range there. He didn't get any hits, but that was because he was a little unlucky hitting some hard shots right at people. I think he's a nice gap hitter, and will be interesting to watch him develop. BTW, he was smart enough not to try and pull Matt Barnes' 97mph heaters, his first three AB's all went opposite field

2) Andrew Susac--first off, the kid really seems pretty good behind he plate. He showed good quickness, handling some pitches in the dirt. And he has a plus arm, gunning down one runner and almost getting a second who stole that base off the pitcher, not Susac. He seemed a bit overmatched at the plate by the talented Red Sox farmhand Matt Barnes.

3) Angel Villalona--first, he's not as big as I thought he would be. He's smaller and trimmer than the Panda, and he handles himself around the bag pretty well. Had a couple of big raps that were just foul. Looks confident at the plate.

4) Jack Snodgrass--Tall, skinny lefty was fairly impressive. He reminded me of Tom Glavine in a way. Kid pounds the outside corner, I mean pounds it. He also has a change to keep the RH hitters off stride, which I thought he ought to use more often. He doesn't get any faster than 92mph, but this is a location pitcher, so speed is less of an issue. IMO, there is something there with this kid, and I will be watching him closely.

Side note...The Portland kid pitcher Matt Barnes is undoubtedly big in the future plans of the Red Sox. He's the #40 prospect, and he looks like it. Kid goes 95-97 all the time, and he has a big time curve ball that he struck Villalona out with. Problem is the kid has control problems. He had real problems throwing the curve for strikes, the one to Villalona was one of the few good ones he threw. While he doesn't walk that many people (3 tonight) he seemed to get deeper into counts than he should have been. That's somewhat reflected in his 1.45 WHIP. A number of the Squirrels were able to work him by being patient. But if this kid finds a groove, he will be a force.

Unfortunately for us, it rained most of the day, lifting shortly before first pitch. But the rain came back by the 6th and we didn't have an umbrella or ponchos, so we had to bail on the game before the end. I mean, my first vacay on the East Coast in 40 years and I get rained on??? Sheesh
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

It happens I'm down on Richmond, the city, for screwing up their long-standing relationship with the Braves, and losing the Triple-A franchise.

But congratulations on discovering minor league ball. I believe that any serious fan's understanding and appreciation of top-level baseball is enhanced by watching, really watching, players in development on the farm. It's fun for its own sake, too.

Comment

The Diamond (at least that's what they called it when I went there) used to be home to the Richmond Braves. Kind of reminds me of an open air Candlestick Park from the outside. Looks bigger than it really is! Don't get to Richmond any more; it'd be fun to take in a Squirrels game!
      Last edited by hallzee; 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM.
      "There's no crying in Baseball!"
      -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
        Well, my family is vacationing on the East Coast, so we took the opportunity to see some of the Giants big name prospects at a Squirrels home game. This was also my first time to ever see a minor league game, and that was a treat in itself

Some thoughts on some prospects...

1) Joe Panik--well, they are playing him at second, and he showed some good range there. He didn't get any hits, but that was because he was a little unlucky hitting some hard shots right at people. I think he's a nice gap hitter, and will be interesting to watch him develop. BTW, he was smart enough not to try and pull Matt Barnes' 97mph heaters, his first three AB's all went opposite field

2) Andrew Susac--first off, the kid really seems pretty good behind he plate. He showed good quickness, handling some pitches in the dirt. And he has a plus arm, gunning down one runner and almost getting a second who stole that base off the pitcher, not Susac. He seemed a bit overmatched at the plate by the talented Red Sox farmhand Matt Barnes.

3) Angel Villalona--first, he's not as big as I thought he would be. He's smaller and trimmer than the Panda, and he handles himself around the bag pretty well. Had a couple of big raps that were just foul. Looks confident at the plate.

4) Jack Snodgrass--Tall, skinny lefty was fairly impressive. He reminded me of Tom Glavine in a way. Kid pounds the outside corner, I mean pounds it. He also has a change to keep the RH hitters off stride, which I thought he ought to use more often. He doesn't get any faster than 92mph, but this is a location pitcher, so speed is less of an issue. IMO, there is something there with this kid, and I will be watching him closely.

Side note...The Portland kid pitcher Matt Barnes is undoubtedly big in the future plans of the Red Sox. He's the #40 prospect, and he looks like it. Kid goes 95-97 all the time, and he has a big time curve ball that he struck Villalona out with. Problem is the kid has control problems. He had real problems throwing the curve for strikes, the one to Villalona was one of the few good ones he threw. While he doesn't walk that many people (3 tonight) he seemed to get deeper into counts than he should have been. That's somewhat reflected in his 1.45 WHIP. A number of the Squirrels were able to work him by being patient. But if this kid finds a groove, he will be a force.

Unfortunately for us, it rained most of the day, lifting shortly before first pitch. But the rain came back by the 6th and we didn't have an umbrella or ponchos, so we had to bail on the game before the end. I mean, my first vacay on the East Coast in 40 years and I get rained on??? Sheesh
        Good stuff, KH! Do you think Susac is athletic enough to play the outfield? With Buster at catcher for the next decade I can't imagine Susac would do much catching with the Giants. I found this video of Susac.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X