I must boycott Giants games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must boycott Giants games

I've come to a difficult decision but I've decided to not attend any Giants' games until Barry Bonds is no longer a member of the S.F. Giants. I did not arrive at this decision lightly. I've been a Bonds fan since he joined the Giants in 1993 and he has given me many many wonderful baseball moments. I still remember fonding the October friday night game at Dodger Stadium in 1993 when he singlehandedly defeated the Dodgers.

But I cannot support him or the Giants knowing full well his abuse of PEDs and his unatural ascent up the HR list. He should have about 100 fewer HRs at this point in his career. I do not feel it would be right for me to support the Giants with my money because they knew Bonds was using PEDs and did nothing. They chose to look the other way. I will miss the fresh smell of a ballpark, the hot dogs, peanuts, and Lou Seal...
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Boycott

Is there a minor league team nearby that you can follow? You shouldn't have to totally be deprived of baseball's sights,sounds and smells. It's too bad that you can't enjoy your other favorite players in person but I commend your conviction. I'm on the other coast and not a Giants fan but,as I stated in another thread,I won't ever watch a game he's in. I won't lose what you will though. It won't be long until you can go back and I hope you'll be able to enjoy it with the same enthusiasm when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
      Is there a minor league team nearby that you can follow? You shouldn't have to totally be deprived of baseball's sights,sounds and smells. It's too bad that you can't enjoy your other favorite players in person but I commend your conviction. I'm on the other coast and not a Giants fan but,as I stated in another thread,I won't ever watch a game he's in. I won't lose what you will though. It won't be long until you can go back and I hope you'll be able to enjoy it with the same enthusiasm when you can.
      I live in San Jose, CA and the San Jose Giants play just a few miles from my apartment. And there's always the Oakland A's...
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
        I've come to a difficult decision but I've decided to not attend any Giants' games until Barry Bonds is no longer a member of the S.F. Giants. I did not arrive at this decision lightly. I've been a Bonds fan since he joined the Giants in 1993 and he has given me many many wonderful baseball moments. I still remember fonding the October friday night game at Dodger Stadium in 1993 when he singlehandedly defeated the Dodgers.

But I cannot support him or the Giants knowing full well his abuse of PEDs and his unatural ascent up the HR list. He should have about 100 fewer HRs at this point in his career. I do not feel it would be right for me to support the Giants with my money because they knew Bonds was using PEDs and did nothing. They chose to look the other way. I will miss the fresh smell of a ballpark, the hot dogs, peanuts, and Lou Seal...
        Honus Wagner Rules:

I salute you and your principled stand. It is very, very
        refreshing in this day and time.

It is a shame that the arrogance and stupidity of the
        baseball establishment led to this.

Again, I salute you!

Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules

Not to worry. Hopefully soon Mr. Bonds will depart the National League thus ending this sad chapter in Giants history so you can get back to what should be the center of attention at SBC - the team and the greatest rivalry in baseball.

Comment

You are doing the right thing. Luckily Ive always been an A's fan first and foremost, but the Giants were fun to have as an NL team. I stopped supporting them too for the same reasons, I wish and hope Bonds does the right thing by the game and his knee and retires after this year.

Comment

that is your right

Do any giants fans actually use this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by admode
                Do any giants fans actually use this forum?
                I do.

Comment

aight

well, theres one!

Comment

wags: I've come to a difficult decision but I've decided to not attend any Giants' games until Barry Bonds is no longer a member of the S.F. Giants.

why didn't you start your boycott of the giants when _____ was using? he used quite a few years before balco hit the scene.

are you gonna watch on tv and listen to radio broadcasts?
                    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                      wags: I've come to a difficult decision but I've decided to not attend any Giants' games until Barry Bonds is no longer a member of the S.F. Giants.

why didn't you start your boycott of the giants when _____ was using? he used quite a few years before balco hit the scene.

are you gonna watch on tv and listen to radio broadcasts?
                      I don't have any cable TV at home. So that's out. I've only caught about maybe five innings all year on the radio. Who is _____?

Comment

I posted this same message on another thread but I thought it would be approptriate. I know I'm going to catch a lot of crap for this (especially from Elviswhatever -- and, by the looks of it, everyone else) but I will say it anyway.

OK. This is back on a topic that it seems everyone on this message board thinks is too ridiculous to answer, but I will ask it anyway. Who here has rock solid evidence that Barry Bonds used steroids knowingly? Who? And if you quote that damn book "Game of Shadows" it doesn't count. As a journalist, that book represents a method of information gathering that is appauling and highly ILLEGAL. You cannot use hidden recording devices to gather news and then use it in a book (meaning their paper probably would not run it). You are completely liable under federal libel law if you gather news this way -- regardless of the truth of the information. I heard ESPN's attorney say that the only reason Bonds hasn't sued is because he doesn't want to further damage his image on what the average American would see as a technicality and a frivilous lawsuit. Furthermore, a big part of their info is what Bonds "said" about steroids being untraceable at Junior Griffey's over dinner. Griffey said Bonds has eaten at his house before, but it has always only been his family and Bonds' -- meaning the mysterious source of the information (who the book said is of neither party) could not have been there. Beyond that, Griffey said Bonds absolutely did not eat at his house on the date given (I think Griffey's family was traveling, but I don't remember if that's why he said it was impossible). Even further, he said he could not remember ever having a conversation even remotely similar with Bonds. HOW IS THAT A CONVERSATION YOU COULD FORGET??? Bottom line, Bonds denies knowingly using steroids. If he attmitted it things would be different. But he hasn't. It may appear that he has used something, but that is an assumption that is not enough to crucify him this way. Does someone know something about Bonds I haven't said, or is everyone on this board just assuming he used becasue his head is large?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I think anonymous sources are OK and should be allowed (i.e. as a basic part of free speech). However, this information has been renounced by two sources we KNOW were there (Griffey and Bonds).

That was my post, and I have something to add. Why is it impossible for Bonds to have grown physically without steroids? Look at the NFL!! Every linebacker in the league is bigger than Bonds and they have a steroid policy. Just because baseball is played by typically smaller players than football doesn't mean the players absolutely could not be as large.

Comment

Of all the circumstantial "evidence" of alleged steroid use pointed to by the detractors of Barry Bonds, none is more irrelevant, inconsequential, distasteful and demeaning to all concerned as the oft-repeated reference to head size. It is degrading, does no honor at all to those who sincerely believe that baseball is being diminished by the use of PEDs; it smacks of racism, and is unworthy of an expenditure of time and energy in refutation. There is no shortage of concrete reasons one can cite for not liking, nor believing, nor respecting Bonds, Canseco, McGwire, Palmeiro, Giambi, Sheffield or anyone else among the many whose names have arisen in the course of the steroids saga. There are legitimate arguments raging over what steroids do or do not do, whether they are as bad or worse than amphetatmines, whether the records are being defiled or were never pure in the first place; we can disagree over whether PED's constitute cheating -- and in that regard, there's a good brouhaha to be had over defining what, in baseball terms, constitutes the seeking of an unfair advantage -- and we can argue the First Amendment's pros and cons until the cows come home. These topics and countless more are there to be discussed and debated, and from so much heat there might even come a little light. But nothing good or useful can ever come from discourses on the phrenological aspects of Barry Bonds. Leave that, please, lying amidst the spit and sawdust on the barroom floor, where not even Chronicle reporters will touch it.

Comment

What does "head size" have to do with racism? I knew a guy who used to take care of equipment at a MLB and his stories about "head size" of players would appall you, "or maybe not". Also "game of shadows" was heavily researched and almost every claim was cross-referenced from multiple sources. Anyone that thinks Bonds didn't knowingly juice up is probably .............oh well.....what can you say?

Rock solid evidence? Like what? His man bag opened and a syringe in his ass? It aint going to happen. All your going to have is the type of evidence documented in the book, which included BALCO/Anderson records and suspicious testimony by Bonds Doctor, "Why would he ask a MD about steroid effects if he wasnt using them"? His trainer was a 'roid peddler, who was later convicted for it, who sold the things to other SFGs.

That was my post, and I have something to add. Why is it impossible for Bonds to have grown physically without steroids? Look at the NFL!! Every linebacker in the league is bigger than Bonds and they have a steroid policy. Just because baseball is played by typically smaller players than football doesn't mean the players absolutely could not be as large.
                            How many 35yo linebackers have put on 15 to 20 lbs of muscle in a 3 month off-season before? At least after the 'roid ban? While were at it how many 35yo linebackers are there? lastly how many 35yo linebackers have come back from a 3 month off-season with such increases in power?

If its one thing the book impressed upon me was the range of damning evidence against Bonds. Most of all his own surly arrogance.
                            "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

wags: Who is _____?

either you know who _____ is, or you don't.
                              but, c'mon, man, he exhibited more physical signs of use than just about anyone else.
                              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X