No announcement yet.

Schmitty Ks 16! Ties franchise record!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schmitty Ks 16! Ties franchise record!

Yeah! He even struck out the side in the ninth with runners on second and third. What a performance. According to the FSNBA broadcast, the only other time in Giants history that a Giants pitcher struck out 16 was in 1904, when Christy Mathewson did it.

Oh, and the Giants won 2-1.
    sigpic

I listened to the last inning on the radio. Awesome! Way to go, Schmitty!!!!
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 06-06-2006, 10:01 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Truly outstanding performance. Nothing further need be said.
      “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Looks like Schmidt is showing that, despite his decline still is a great pitcher, I started to doubt him.
        Cristobal

Comment

schmidt

One of the most fun pitching performances I have seen! Way to go schmidt

Comment

Just an awesome job!!
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

congrats to schmiddy in a "heh-heh-heh-heh-heh...LAUGHER!" (as kruk puts it)
              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Just curious, but what was Marichal's best single game strikeout game?
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I'm aware that Marichal struck out 13 Dodgers in a 1962, 12-3 win. Does anyone know of one higher?

Schmidt has won six straight, half of them complete games. The team finally scored some runs for Lowry the other night (14 enough, Noah?), Schmidt doesn't need many runs, Cain is finally living up to his pre-season rave notices (That's what spring training is for, Matt. They start counting in April and May). Now, if we can just get Morris on board, with Hennessey and Benitez out of the bullpen, we could have the best pitching staff in the NL.

Is there ANYBODY you'd rather see at bat with men on base in a clutch situation than Randy Winn? And now, with Moises back and healthy and already delivering a clutch hit in his first game, the Giants appear ready to make their move.

Isn't it amazing how the NL West has turned it around in one year? In 2005, with only one winning team, the Padres (82-80), now, until the recent decline in Colorado's fortunes, every team was a winner. In 2006, the AL West appears to be baseball's worst division.
                  WRD

Comment

Originally posted by Giantfanforever
                    I'm aware that Marichal struck out 13 Dodgers in a 1962, 12-3 win. Does anyone know of one higher?
                    I'm not too sure, but I believe I heard that he did strike out 15 one time.

EDIT: I read an article on the Giants' official website, and the previous San Francisco Giants strikeout record was held by Gaylord Perry, who had 15 in a game some years ago. The Juan Marichal reference alluded to the fact that Schmidt tied Marichal for most double-digit strikeout games in a Giants uni with 25. I thought that it was Marichal that had K'd 15. Oops.
                    Last edited by Dravecky43; 06-07-2006, 11:06 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

wags: just curious, but what was marichal's best single game strikeout game?

giantfanforever: i'm aware that marichal struck out 13 hated dodgers in a 1962, 12-3 win. does anyone know of one higher?

the dominican dandy fanned 14 cincinnatians in cincy on 4 august 1965.

here's the san francisco giants leaderboard:

16: jason schmidt -- 6 june 2006
                      15: gaylord perry -- 22 july 1966 v philadelphia
                      14: sam jones -- 30 august 1960 v philadelphia
                      bobby bolin -- 12 june 1963 v chicago
                      ron herbel -- 24 june 1964 at cincinnati
                      juan marichal -- 4 august 1965 at cincinnati
                      gaylord perry -- 30 september 1969 v san diego
                      gaylord perry -- 20 june 1970 at san diego
                      john montefusco -- 27 august 1975 v montreal
                      atlee hammaker -- 11 september 1983 v houston
                      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Wow, a Ron Herbel and a Bobby Bolin mention! Prolly the best games those two ever pitched!

I think I remember the Chief's game. The 'stros were flailing against the killer change up.
                        “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14
                          Wow, a Ron Herbel and a Bobby Bolin mention! Prolly the best games those two ever pitched!

I think I remember the Chief's game. The 'stros were flailing against the killer change up.
                          Were's Jim Barr, Ed Halicki, and Mike Laloss...I meant LaCoss...

Comment

GO SCHMIDT!!! :gt

That's all I wanted 2 say

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X