C: Buster Posey, Buck Ewing
    1B: Willie McCovey, Bill Terry
    2B: Larry Doyle, Frankie Frisch
    3B: Art Devlin, Matt Williams
    SS: George Davis, Travis Jackson
    LF: Barry Bonds
    CF: Willie Mays, Bobby Bonds
    RF: Mel Ott, Mike Tiernan
    SP: Christy Mathewson, Amos Rusie, Carl Hubbell, Juan Marichal, Mickey Welch
    RP: Gary Lavelle, Marv Grissom, Stu Miller, Greg Minton, Hoyt Wilhelm

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Giants players were together in their Giants prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would be by far the best in baseball with easily the best bullpen. The lineup far and away the best in baseball. Excellent bench as well. All that said 125 wins should be possible.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Great lineup! Who would you put in as manager?

Hard to say how they would do against 2016 competition, because it's hard to compare players from different eras.
    Some people think that Mathewson for example would be a solid player today but could not dominate. I can't really agree with that. When you compare players from different eras you have to give the older players the benefit the players have today, in my opinion.
    Give Mathewson the (scientific) advantages of today. That means knowledge about physical training, knowledge about the game itself, better medical treatment.
    Give Mathewson the advantage of the internet/media, he would know every player and his weaknesses in the whole league.
    Mathewson would be awesome in my opinion.

Will put a lineupt together too.
    Greetings from Germany

Comment

Any staff that features 4 screwball pitchers is fine by me.
      “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Antares View Post
        Great lineup! Who would you put in as manager?

Hard to say how they would do against 2016 competition, because it's hard to compare players from different eras.
        Some people think that Mathewson for example would be a solid player today but could not dominate. I can't really agree with that. When you compare players from different eras you have to give the older players the benefit the players have today, in my opinion.
        Give Mathewson the (scientific) advantages of today. That means knowledge about physical training, knowledge about the game itself, better medical treatment.
        Give Mathewson the advantage of the internet/media, he would know every player and his weaknesses in the whole league.
        Mathewson would be awesome in my opinion.

Will put a lineupt together too.
        Thank you. John McGraw would be the manager and I'd set the lineup as follows

1. George Davis .332/.393/.467
        2. Mel Ott .304/.414/.533
        3. Barry Bonds .312/.477/.666
        4. Willie Mays .304/.385/.564
        5. Willie McCovey .274/.377/.524
        6. Buster Posey .307/.373/.476
        7. Larry Doyle .290/.357/.408
        8. Art Devlin .268/.365/.337

With Mays and McCovey protecting Bonds in the lineup I'm guessing they wouldn't pitch around him. With Davis and Ott ahead of him he'll have lots of runners on when he comes up. I see big numbers for Mr Bonds!
        Last edited by Sockeye; 11-06-2016, 04:49 PM.
        Location....San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post

With Mays and McCovey protecting Bonds in the lineup I'm guessing they wouldn't pitch around him. With Davis and Ott ahead of him he'll have lots of runners on when he comes up. I see big numbers for Mr Bonds!
          This team I think would score 1,000 runs in a season. Shoot, 1,200 runs wouldn't shock me.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            This team I think would score 1,000 runs in a season. Shoot, 1,200 runs wouldn't shock me.
            I concur! And with that pitching staff. Pretty scary team!
            Location....San Diego

Comment

C: Buster Posey, Roger Bresnahan
              1B: Willie McCovey, Bill Terry
              2B: Frankie Frisch, Larry Doyle
              3B: Matt Williams, Freddie Lindstrom
              SS: Alvin Dark, Brandon Crawford
              LF: Barry Bonds, Monte Irvin
              CF: Willie Mays
              RF: Mel Ott, Mike Tiernan
              SP: Christy Mathewson, Carl Hubbell, Madison Bumgarner, Juan Marichal, Mickey Welch
              RP: Gary Lavelle, Stu Miller, Sergio Romo, Red Ames, Robb Nen

Notes:
              Mine could look like that.

I put in Bresnahan, because I like his speed.
              I left out Cepeda on 1B and that is a shame. But how great is Bill Terry? How did he just get 78% on his ballot for the Hall of Fame?
              I put Frisch before Larry Doyle. Frisch is maybe more known for his time withe the Cardinals but he was great with us too.
              SS was hard. For me a shorstop has to have a great glove. And while Davis and Jackson both are way better with the bat, their defense seems shaky for me.
              I put in Bumgarner. Nobody knows what is coming, but so far I think he deserves it.
              I left in Mickey Welch, because it's nice to have one from this era.
              Okay, I put in Romo which is questionable. I put in Red Ames as a reliefer and left out Hoyt Wilhelm. That is only because Wilhelm got great after he left us.
              I left out Hornsby because he played just one season with us.
              Greetings from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post

Matt Williams as regular player (1990-1996) .277/326/.517 3 GG

Wiliams is the all time Giant 3B
                This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Btw, Frisch spent a good amount of his Giant years at third. I think he moved to make room for Lindstrom.
                  Any pitching staff that omits McGinnity and Marquard better be great. Come to think of it, this one is.
                  Last edited by dwj21792; 06-13-2017, 01:42 AM.
                  27 World Championships
                  22 retired numbers
                  Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
                  Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X