are you worried about the next years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you worried about the next years?

The giants of course had a great run but I'm not sure about the near future (next 5-6 years or so).

the giants have a solid core on the field but not a ton of depth both in the Majors and especially in the farm System. 5+ years of not drafting high and filling Needs with trades of course takes a toll on any farm System.

I see some issues in the Rotation for example. bumgarner is a great Young and durable pitcher and cueto is good too but behind them it gets thin. on the field they still have some great assets (posey, belt, crawford) but also some holes.

I think they still can compete but they are basically always an injury of a key Player away of the season going wrong. what path for the future do you see as the best? I think the Team is too good for a rebuild but staying competitive will be a risky Patchwork Piece in the next years.

of course it would be perfectly legitimate to tail off a Little after that historic run and the FO should certainly get some leeway but it is not an easy Job at all currently.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Maybe we should be worried about the next years. But I somehow accepted that after good years, bad will eventually follow. There are exception or maybe kind of exceptions.
    That said, I'm not satisfied with our farm but have a feeling that it's often seen weaker than it actually is. The way to ensure ongoing performance is the farm and certainly developing it will be crucial.
    This could be an important year in seeing what could happen in the near future. How will the OF perform, the rotation, and especially the bullpen. I think there is a solid core that can carry the team.
    To give you a not really clear answer: I absolutely can't say what the team looks like in 5 years, but I'm an optimist
    Last edited by Antares; 04-02-2017, 07:22 AM.
    Greetings from Germany

Comment

dominik, your OP has become so prescient. This season has been completely abysmal. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. From the injuries to the bad performance for a host of players. It's hard to point the cause to one area. It's very disappointing to say the least. You are correct that the Giants minor league system is lacking in blue chip elite prospects. They do have quite a few interesting prospects in the C- to B+ level like Christian Arroyo and Ryder Jones. Unfortunately, both got hurt and may miss the rest of the season. What most Giants fans don't seem to understand is that the C- to B+ level prospects can become productive major leaguers, even All-Stars, but almost always they need a season or two at a minimum to adapt to the major leagues. Expecting these type of prospects to reach the majors and become productive immediately is an unfair burden to place on them. For example, a lot of Giants fans are clamoring to see Chris Shaw. He's at AAA right now and having a solid season but he's done nothing to suggest he can produce at the major league level right now. His 55/11 strikeout-to-walk ratio is terrible and would be even worse in the majors.

At this point I guess all the Giants can do is play the young guys and see what they can do. It wouldn't bother me if the Giants ended up with the worst record in baseball so they can get the #1 pick in the 2018 draft. Yeah, a 100 loss season would suck but if it helps get the Giants back into contention quicker then so be it. The Giants need to get elite blue chip talent in their minor league system. I am cautiously excited about their 2017 #1 draft pick, Heliot Ramos. He's an elite toolsy center fielder. I have no doubt that he's already the Giants #1 prospect. The Giants need more prospects like him. Ramos is only 17 years old so he's at least 3-4 years away from reaching the majors.

The LA Dodgers are on their way to their 5th straight NL West title. They have a ton of young elite talent and had 6 All-Stars this season. They have the best pitcher in baseball and have lots and lots of money. They could dominate the NL West for the next five years. The Giants need a long term plan on how to take down the Dodgers. It won't be easy, though. The Giants need to develop elite players in their minor league system.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

One think they have neglected was international signing. I believe recently they did a little more but they never seemed to be in the run for the elite international talent (like maitan, luis robert, vladdy jr...).

if you don't draft high regularly you better spend some dollars there. Not everyone can spend there like the dodgers but even some poor teams like tampa or san Diego spent much more in the international market the last 5-6 years.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

And when the Giants do sign international players they end up being a bust or traded. The Giants signed a Rafael Rodriguez back in 2008 at age 16. They signed him to the largest deal they ever gave to an international player at that point in time, $2.55 million.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/...ael-rodriguez/

And Rodriguez was a bust. He last played baseball in 2013 at age 22.

Then the Giants signed Lucius Fox, a toolsy shortstop, in 2015 for $6 million, going over their limit and setting a new record in signing an international player. The Giants traded Fox in the Matt Moore deal about a year ago.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/...million-bonus/

Fox is only 19 today and playing in the Midwest League. Who knows what he'll end up being as a ballplayer.

The Giants need a long hard look at how they evaluate their prospects. The got rid of Adam Duvall who turned out to be a productive major leaguer.
          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 07-24-2017, 12:00 AM.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

And you didn't mention the debacle with Angel Villalona WAGS. That one hurt.

On the face of it, this team should be significantly better than it is. Sabes and Evans are going to have to make some real tough decisions about whether these guys who are under performing will likely bounce back, or is it time to cut bait. As much as I like him, it may be time to cut Pence loose. They ought to trade Nunez, because they are clearly going to give 3B to Arroyo next year. And Parker and Williamson need to go, as Slater and Jones seem like better prospects. There will be a LOT of crossed fingers on opening day next year.

The bullpen is in worse shape. Melancon can't stay healthy, Gerrin, Okert, and Osich seem to have regressed. Only Strickland seems to be somewhat consistent.

And compare the kids the Bums are bringing up to the Giants. No Bellinger or Seager in the Giants system. The Bums are once again turning out great young players like they did in the late 70's. And that makes it very hard to compete against them
            “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Well at least you have the 3 rings and the Dodgers for all of their RS greatness have yet to win one in decades.

but of course the idea of the rich Dodgers being run by a smart management who holds on to prospects and doesn't give contracts into players late 30s is quite a scary thought. Still doesn't guarantee them a ring though.

Comment

Ryan Kirby won the northwest league MVP
                https://www.milb.com/milb/news/san-f...?tid=185364810

he isn't that much of a prospect as a 22 year old first baseman in A ball who was drafted in the 12th round but he is the son of the BBF Forum member "stealth".

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X