larussa's successor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larussa's successor?

the "time for new management" thread got me thinking about who might replace TLR when he retires. his retirement may actually be closer than most people think. last season, there was some speculation that he might retire at the end of the year. the cardinals were ready to replace him with jim leyland, a scout for the organization at the time. that didn't happen, and leyland has since moved on and found unbelievable success in detroit.

let me get something straight before i go any further, i'm loyal to larussa. this poll isn't my way of calling for his head. it's just for fun.

so, who would you like to see as the next cardinal manager?
    larry bowa
    0.00%
    jim fregosi
    0.00%
    cito gaston
    10.53%
    tom kelly
    10.53%
    davey johnson
    0.00%
    mike matheny
    15.79%
    ken oberkfell
    0.00%
    jose oquendo
    31.58%
    tony pena
    0.00%
    lou pinella
    21.05%
    danny sheaffer
    0.00%
    bobby valentine
    5.26%
    jimy williams
    0.00%
    other
    5.26%

The poll is expired.

i voted for The Secret Weapon but i think tony pena would be an interesting choice as well. if we went outside of cardinal nation for a new manager, i couldn't think of anybody better than cito gaston.

i go back and forth on how long i really think tlr is going to stay here. there's always the very real possiblility he could step down at the end of season. but you have to think he wants one more ring and will ride the prime of pujols' career trying to get it. over/under on larussa's retirement date: 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by hubkittel
      over/under on larussa's retirement date: 2009.
      under. larussa is getting older (he turned 60? this year), and he's wearing down. also, the organization is in transition, and i think he's ready to pass the torch to someone else. my money is on next season being his last season.

the cardinals have been grooming jose oquendo as TLR's replaced for several seasons now. he brings a lot of excitement and knowledge to the club, and is ready to step in at any moment. i'd love to see him take over the team when that time comes. he gets my vote.

Comment

Well, I think he'll stay with the club for 5 more years. Hopefully Mike Matheny will be looking to be a manager then. I think he would be perfect with his knowledge for the game.
        GOT ALBERT?
        St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
        http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

did you see oquendo managing the purto rican team in the WBC????? hellsss yaah!!!
          Our future.....Colby Rasmus.....Im his biggest fan!!!

Comment

Matheny may be ready to try managing after his year in San Francisco. He may need some seasoning in the minors, but I think that he would be a great manager.

The Cardinals have enought quality baseball people from the 80s and later who would be excellent managers so that they do not have to import someone from outside the system like Davey Johnson, Lou Pinella, etc.

Comment

What??? Tony Pena's not part of Cardinal Nation? What happened? Who kicked him out? When?
              The old free swinger is a ++ caharacter as TLT might say, but he's really a Coach more than manager material for the El Birdos. Someone like Leyland is what we need. No, No Matheny, thank you very much. Obie? What's he been up to the last 5 years? Maybe.
              BobbyTolan#17

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Tolan17
                Obie? What's he been up to the last 5 years? Maybe.
                he's managing in AAA (norfolk) right now. he was the 2005 minor league manager of the year.

Comment

Cito Gaston. Remember what he did in Toronto? By the way, does anybody know what he's been up to?

Comment

I chose Piniella .. but, I should have chose Oquendo. Didn't see that option.

I would like either of those guys.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X