Bad feeling that Anthony Reyes isn't ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad feeling that Anthony Reyes isn't ready

I have a bad feeling that Anthony Reyes, who was the number one prized prospect for the St. Louis Cardinals, is not ready for the major leagues. Here's why: he is getting hammered by the other team when his control is off, and he pitches well sometimes. I have that feeling that Reyes isn't ready for MLB, and him being optioned to Triple-A Memphis may be a blessing for both him and the Cardinals.

I agree with you. I think he should go down, finish the minor league season, then if the division is not as close as now, maybe get a start or two when the roster expands.
    GOT ALBERT?
    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

I'm glad they sent him down. After the Ankiel experience, I don't see Duncan and La Russa taking any chances on their top pitching prospect. I know that's an extreme comparison, but control issues in young pitchers always scare me.

Comment

Hopefully his control can be fixed in Memphis. We all know what happened to Ankiel - he's pretty close on being out of baseball because his career could be summed up as "What could have been..." My father and sister were at the game where Ankiel really stunk up the game in the 2000 NLCS Game 2, but veteran Mike Timlin took the loss in the Rick Ankiel Game. He has been through lots of tough losses, like that game.

Comment

Reyes is the Cardinals second best pitcher! Which is not saying much. He shouldn't pitch at all at Memphis. Let him rest, and then start using him in Mid-September. Hopefully, the Cardinals are still in the pennant race then. After Carpenter who are the Cardinals going to use in the playoffs if we even get there.

Mulder should never pitch for the Cardinals again. Weaver and Marquis are inconsistent, and Suppan has declined.

Comment

Originally posted by Designated Fielder
            Reyes is the Cardinals second best pitcher! Which is not saying much. He shouldn't pitch at all at Memphis. Let him rest, and then start using him in Mid-September. Hopefully, the Cardinals are still in the pennant race then. After Carpenter who are the Cardinals going to use in the playoffs if we even get there.

Mulder should never pitch for the Cardinals again. Weaver and Marquis are inconsistent, and Suppan has declined.

That is putting it as nicely as possible.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Designated Fielder

I agree. I would rather have him on the mound than Weaver, Marquis, Suppan AND Mulder.

Comment

the thing that worries me the most about reyes is his K/IP. i read somewhere once that the best indicater of future success for young pitchers is their K/IP-if it was over 1 than the kid would have future success, if under 1 he would wash out. reyes this year has 44 K in 64 IP. that's a .69 K/IP. he has a career .73 K/IP in the majors. i hate to be the guy to bring it up but it is possible that the kid will never be a successful major league pitcher-the organization does not have a great track record in developing young pitchers and we may have just hyped him up out of desperation. reyes is not really that highly touted a prospect-baseball america had him ranked 41st in the top 100 going into 06.

okay, i know i'm being overly negative but that's what this team is doing to me this year. everything is black, the sky is falling, and we have no pitching (repeat the mantra: we're still in first place). bad feelings all around.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X