I think it's time to shut down Izzy for the year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's time to shut down Izzy for the year

Jason Isringhausen has not been pitching well at all this season, with personal career breaking records: most blown saves with the Cardinals (8), most losses in relief (6), and horrible pitching with no control. I think it's about time the Cardinals shut him down to give him a couple days rest, then if he doesn't recover, we shut his season down to avoid the Cardinals falling apart.

This is probably his worst season in his career since 1996, when he was a starter with the New York Mets, with 14 losses and six wins. He's reminding me of a Donnie Moore this season. One game he retires the side, next game he blows a game on poor pitching, or other reasons. His control this season is NOT there. Izzy has gotten worse since the beginning of the season. He's no Bruce Sutter or Jeff Lahti as of lately.

Why did they even put him in? I wouldn't.
    GOT ALBERT?
    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

hes usually only realiable for and inning and we went longer, and ended up getting burned. I say we break in worrel as ive said many times!!!
      Our future.....Colby Rasmus.....Im his biggest fan!!!

Comment

this is completely offtopic but i saw rasmus the other day skittles

Comment

izzy has actually been pretty good lately. the first half of the season he was awful, but he's pitched well lately, lowering his ERA to around 3.00. he's also not walking guys nearly as much. i think his latest struggles are just a hiccup.

Comment

Yeah, ticup but to let up on average 3 runs in 1-2 innings is pretty bad... That's sometimes what cost the game. Imo a closer should have a era of 1.5-2.

I think they should lay izzy down for a couple days but there would be no way they will put him out for the season because they are paying him too much money. I think it's obvious is just having a rough season but Tony believes he has the potential...

Also it's not like just making izzy sit out is going to shape are season up, cardinals are just bad this year. Pujols has never been the same since he got injured. Eckstein isn't doing nearly as good as he was last year. Aaron miles is painful too watch imo. Jim Edmonds has had a very rough season in batting. Rolen has been slipping a bit offensively as of late also. So cardinals just aren't what they were a couple years ago. Stuff like that happens and sometimes you just have to deal with it. Cardinals get a tough break this year because luckily the whole national league sucks horrendously except for the New york mets.

Although i think it would help if we had mark mulder here and healthy... and it would definetly help if jason marquis could be more consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by EdmondsFan#1
              I think they should lay izzy down for a couple days...
              Didn't you notice that he was not used for an entire week recently?

Comment

Originally posted by BaylorDan
                Didn't you notice that he was not used for an entire week recently?
                Nope, but now that i think about it you are right... It's still not doing very good because are Relievers aren't good... None of them can bring heat like a reliever should be able to do. I have seen Soga throw like... 97-98 a couple times but recently when i seen him pitch he's only been throwing 93...

Comment

he did it again...how many times before tony figures it out..he lets KLINE go fo giving him the bird but keeps throwing this has been in.lets face it izzy has zero pep on his fastball...the guy stinks:grouchy

Comment

All I can say....................You have got to be kidding me!:grouchy
                    GOT ALBERT?
                    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
                    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

i'm back on the anti-izzy bandwagon. what do you guys think of having looper, sosa, or wainwright closing?

Comment

The Cardinals are in a tough spot: their closer stinks, but he is still better than 3/4 of the closers in baseball. Closer are mostly horrible all of a sudden. You name 'em: Lidge, Kolb, Turnbow, Foulke, Gagne, Jenks,etc. Izzy in all of his BB/HR glory is no worse than any of these guys. The Riveras of the world are not going anywhere, so we are stuck with one of 15 okay, but not very good closers. We have to deal with it. Sosa has sucked more this season than Izzy, Looper hasn't exactly been Hoyt Wilhelm over his career, and Larussa will never put a youngster in a closing situation. If Izzy leaves, we will be left off even worse (I know it is hard to imagine, but look around baseball.) I don't like the guy's pitching either, but he is the best we are going to get.

Bye the way, why not instead of blaming only Isringhausen, lets look at the non-Pujols roster who drove in 0 runs tonight, Duncan who dropped a routine popup, and Weaver who followed up a 4-run inning with caughing up 4 of his own.

Between the starting rotationg being abysmal, and the Cardinals offense being injured or extra-base hit deficient, Izzy is only one of the many problems with this team. Why is he the only whipping boy? Cardinals' fans want to believe this team still has some juggernaught offense. They don't and aren't even close.

Would anybody else like to see a contest between Edmonds, Belliard, Encarnacion, and Wilson to see who can have the worst, most awkward-looking 3 pitch,strikout AB during a single game? Very entertaining!
                        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Cards Woes

Originally posted by STLCards2
                          The Cardinals are in a tough spot: their closer stinks, but he is still better than 3/4 of the closers in baseball. Closer are mostly horrible all of a sudden. You name 'em: Lidge, Kolb, Turnbow, Foulke, Gagne, Jenks,etc. Izzy in all of his BB/HR glory is no worse than any of these guys. The Riveras of the world are not going anywhere, so we are stuck with one of 15 okay, but not very good closers. We have to deal with it. Sosa has sucked more this season than Izzy, Looper hasn't exactly been Hoyt Wilhelm over his career, and Larussa will never put a youngster in a closing situation. If Izzy leaves, we will be left off even worse (I know it is hard to imagine, but look around baseball.) I don't like the guy's pitching either, but he is the best we are going to get.

Bye the way, why not instead of blaming only Isringhausen, lets look at the non-Pujols roster who drove in 0 runs tonight, Duncan who dropped a routine popup, and Weaver who followed up a 4-run inning with caughing up 4 of his own.

Between the starting rotationg being abysmal, and the Cardinals offense being injured or extra-base hit deficient, Izzy is only one of the many problems with this team. Why is he the only whipping boy? Cardinals' fans want to believe this team still has some juggernaught offense. They don't and aren't even close.

Would anybody else like to see a contest between Edmonds, Belliard, Encarnacion, and Wilson to see who can have the worst, most awkward-looking 3 pitch,strikout AB during a single game? Very entertaining!
                          This team is a lot better than their record as of late...too much talent, yet
                          they have a bunch of holes..To think the REDS are only a game behind
                          'em is puzzling..this team is far better than cincy...yet Cincy seems to have more 'heart' and is more hungry....hopefully, St.Louis will work out their
                          glitches, and start playing like the can....and pull away.....

Comment

I watched parts of the game last night on SNY (the Mets' cable network). The bottom of the 9th. Izzy gets Reyes out, but then the soft hit to CF by LoDuca. I can't believe how Izzy pitched Beltran (he who nearly destroyed the Cardinals in the 2004 NLCS). He serves a pitch right down the middle and BAMM! Game over, Mets win. My grandmother could have hit that pitch for a home run.

I think LaRussa ought to at least CONSIDER moving Looper into the closer role. He had a very effective eighth. The Mets announcers (Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling) were clear that Looper had an injury last year that impaired his effectiveness as the Mets' closer. That injury was surgically repaired and he is pitching well. Try him, he certainly can't do worse than Izzy (9 blown saves).
                            Last edited by cardinalfaninNY; 08-23-2006, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X