Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pujols's Tantrum

Originally posted by Philly-brownsfan
    Albert Pujols is acting like a complete Wuss for knocking the writers who selected the Phillies' Ryan Howard over him for NL MVP. He won the award in '05 when the Cards only won one playoff round, now he could be gracious in coming in second to Howard., and just enjoy his team's Worlds Championship. (Remember its supposed to be an award that's strictly for regular season performances.) Howard was only playing in his first complete season in the majors. Nobody ever expected him to carry the Phillies as far as he did, let alone make the playoffs - and the Phils came just a whisker away from the postseason. Aside from batting average, Howard beat you in all the major offensive categories, with a super impressive 58 HRs and 149 RBI and would have hit 60 HRs, if he hadn't been pitched around the final two weeks, especially by Joe "The Coward" Girardi. The last time I checked Albert, you still have never reached the 50 HR milestone. Albert, if you're becoming a self-centered, prima donna with no class, don't let it show. Just shut up!
    And, of course, it's coming from a Phillies fan...

You think Ryan Howard wouldn't have pouted a bit if Pujols won the MVP award? Ryan Howard would have said "Wah, wah, wah, they are giving it to him because he had a pwayoff team"

I know you will say no so I don't even know why I bothered, but trust me, neither of us have a crystal ball.

Pujols's Tantrum

Albert Pujols is acting like a complete Wuss for knocking the writers who selected the Phillies' Ryan Howard over him for NL MVP. He won the award in '05 when the Cards only won one playoff round, now he could be gracious in coming in second to Howard., and just enjoy his team's Worlds Championship. (Remember its supposed to be an award that's strictly for regular season performances.) Howard was only playing in his first complete season in the majors. Nobody ever expected him to carry the Phillies as far as he did, let alone make the playoffs - and the Phils came just a whisker away from the postseason. Aside from batting average, Howard beat you in all the major offensive categories, with a super impressive 58 HRs and 149 RBI and would have hit 60 HRs, if he hadn't been pitched around the final two weeks, especially by Joe "The Coward" Girardi. The last time I checked Albert, you still have never reached the 50 HR milestone. Albert, if you're becoming a self-centered, prima donna with no class, don't let it show. Just shut up!

Comment

The last time I checked Albert, you still have never reached the 50 HR milestone. Albert, if you're becoming a self-centered, prima donna with no class, don't let it show. Just shut up!
      why are you addressing your post to albert pujols? do you think he's a regular at baseball fever and might see it?

as to albert's comments, they were ridiculous and unnecessary. it smacks of sour grapes. i could defend them to a certain extent, excuse them somehow, but i refuse to do that because i think pujols was wrong in what he said and wrong to say them.

you're not going to hear me say anything bad about howard. the only thing i will say is that the mvp voting was a farce. pujols was more valuable to his team than any player in either league. he's a better player than howard in every facet of the game. and he had a much better season in 06 than howard. anyway you measure offensive production, pujols was superior to howard (and he was better defensively and on the basepaths).

howard won the award because he hit 58 hr. that's the only reason. if you believe that howard deserved the award, that's fine and your entitled to your opinion but it's a poor reading of the statistical evidencve to say that howard was better than pujols in 06. and if he wasn't better than pujols, then howard has no case because pujols carried the cardinals just as much as howard carried the phils.

Comment

This was not Albert's shining moment. You have to accept that the writers are going to bollix these awards about one time in three and just accept it. Besides which would you rather have an MVP award won by some guys voting you to it, or a trophy that has thirty flags on it that you won on the field of play??
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Pujols And the Hall Of Fame

Pujols updated his comments on the MVP award situation. He said he didn't think anyone who didn't make the playoffs sould win the MVP. Thinking along those lines and extending it further, the MVP should be the MVP of the League Champion every year, so with that logic Albert stole the award from an Astro in '05 - Clemems?, Berkman? All Albert would have to do is look at the history of the award to realize that it doesn't work that way. Ernie Banks won MVP awards and his Cubs never left the second division. Bobby Shantz, Roberto Clemente and Brooks Robinson among others won MVP awards without their teams taking league titles. It's convenient for Pujols to say this now that Howard won the award and was on a non-playoff team.
          Howard hit more home runs than Pujols and Ryan hit longer and more majestic bombs than Albert too. Howard put an explanation point on his season when just a day or two after breaking Mike Schmidt's team record of 48, Howard became the first Phillie ever to reach the 50 home run plateau by smashing #s 50, 51, and 52 all in the same game, exhibiting a flair for the dramatic that was lacking in Pujols' season. Its unfortunate that this Sour Graper Pujols made any comments on the award at all. Phillies fans are sure to give him a "Warm Reception" next time he plays at Citizens Bank Park.
          Pujols is already thought to be on track towards a first ballot Hall Of Fame career, and he's already expressed a desire after only six seasons , to end his career with selection to the Hall. One less MVP award is not going to make any difference. To say that his comments on Howard and on losing the award were not his "Shining Moment", was putting it mildly.

Comment

, Howard became the first Phillie ever to reach the 50 home run plateau by smashing #s 50, 51, and 52 all in the same game, exhibiting a flair for the dramatic that was lacking in Pujols' season. .
            Pujols hit .390, yes, .390 ,with runners in scoring position and two out during the regular season. Howard hit .199 in the same situations.

I'm not excusing Pujols' comments, they were poorly chosen and he is deserving of (most of anyway) the criticism he is getting.

But to say the his season lacked a flair for the dramatic is quite shortsided and uninformed....

The MVP is regularly an Home Run and RBI contest. Howard did both of those very well. As did Pujols, who was better in nearly every other category, as well as winning a Gold Glove at a position in which Howard may be the WORST defender in the NL. Both were incredibly valuable. The Cardinals would NOT have won their admittedly weak division without him. The Phillies would not have contended for the wildcard without Howard.

Bottom line, I can't begrudge Howard his MVP.... but I bet Howard won't wear the trophy on his finger. I imagine Albert's new jewelry will take the sting out of another second in MVP voting.
            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Wow Pujols is starting to look like a tool, a friend of mine said that he's no better than Barry.
              "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X