Stan The Man.....a Great But Humble Fellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan The Man.....a Great But Humble Fellow

As a kid attending Harris Teachers College in St Louis in the late 50's I would drive to my buddy's home in St Louis Hills for a quick lunch at about 3 pm. Frequently I would see a guy in a white Caddy who would waive to me and others as he drove over Chippewa Ave. I didnt recognize him at first...thought he was a kook....later I recognized him as The Man himself and started waiving back.He was probably headed for the ballpark for a nite game. My aunt attended St Raphael's church as did the Musial's and she ran the Bingo games in the afternoon. When Musial was in town and it was an open date, he and his wife Lillian used to set up chairs at the bingo games.....He was the top paid guy for the Redbirds at the time....Anybody think today's "stars" would do such things ???
    Last edited by portobob; 05-06-2008, 03:15 PM.

I hate to say it, but today's players aren't as humble. They'd rather hide then drive around and talk to people. I have seen some Cardinals around town, though. I've seen Mark McGwire(twice) and Fernando Vina at Einstein's Bagels. They didn't want to be bothered.
    GOT ALBERT?
    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

I'm just 34, and never saw Stan play, but met him -- as has my Dad. Ole #6 was my Dad's favorite of course. My 9 year old son has a baseball which reads... "To Brendan, a Great Fan, Stan Musial" Probably my most prized posession, even though it is not mine.

My favorite Stan The Man story is told by a friend of mine (he just retired as a AAA Umpire) who grew up a Cub fan, ironically.... My buddy and his family were at the Hall of Fame just a bit before an induction ceremony about 15 years ago. They left the HOF to have lunch at one of the nearby cafes, and Musial was there. My buddies Dad, who must be 60 now, was going absolutely bananas that Stan Musial was "RIGHT OVER THERE!!!!!" He eventually sends his son over to get an autograph. Stan chats him up, asks where are you from, etc. and my buddy explains that they are from Indianapolis, and are at the HOF celebrating his Dad's birthday. Stan signs the kid's ball, and continues with his lunch. Musial finishes his food before my buddy and his family, but on his way out, Musial comes past their table, pulls out his harmonica, and plays "Happy Birthday to You" to the Dad, shakes his hand, and walks out.....

Imagine you are having lunch, and a Hall of Famer, comes over to YOU, to wish you Happy Birthday...
      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Most players now avoid the fans at public places. Vina seemed kind of mad about me asking for an autograph.
        GOT ALBERT?
        St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
        http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

Originally posted by portobob
          As a kid attending Harris Teachers College in St Louis in the late 50's I would drive to my buddy's home in St Louis Hills for a quick lunch at about 3 pm. Frequently I would see a guy in a white Caddy who would waive to me and others as he drove over Chippewa Ave. I didnt recognize him at first...thought he was a kook....later I recognized him as The Man himself and started waiving back.He was probably headed for the ballpark for a nite game. My aunt attended St Gabriel's church as did the Musial's and she ran the Bingo games in the afternoon. When Musial was in town and it was an open date, he and his wife Lillian used to set up chairs at the bingo games.....He was the top paid guy for the Redbirds at the time....Anybody think today's "stars" would do such things ???
          You have a point but let's give today's players a little break. Fans today can be so demanding and intrusive. Let's say that a normal type guy ballplayer (Pujols perhaps) moved into the suburbs. How soon before fans started coming over to his house to ask for autographs at all hours? Would fans respect the player's privacy or would fans be there with cameras and camcorders everyday?
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Good point, I understand that the player you mentioned..Albert Pujols, is very approachable and that he has a word for every fan who greets him. Older fans like myself are probably reacting to some of the presumed ills of the game today....i.e., Small vs Large market franchises, outrageous player salaries and the ridiculous costs of taking a family of 4 to the game these days. Bring back the Knothole Gang ha ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
              You have a point but let's give today's players a little break. Fans today can be so demanding and intrusive. Let's say that a normal type guy ballplayer (Pujols perhaps) moved into the suburbs. How soon before fans started coming over to his house to ask for autographs at all hours? Would fans respect the player's privacy or would fans be there with cameras and camcorders everyday?
              A big league ballplayer lives right around the block from me, here in Yuma. In a house I could afford. Bengie Molina. Of course, he's not anywhere near the celeb that Stan the Man was. But I'm quite certain he could afford a lot larger, more exclusive place than where he resides.
              Last edited by Iron Jaw; 02-23-2006, 01:01 AM.

Comment

A Freind of the Family lives on the same street as Rolen does, and presumably knows him as well as any other neighbor (waves when getting the mail, sells Scott and his wife Girls Scout Cookies, etc) but despite my 9 year old son's incessant requests that we at least drive by his house when we are in town... I just can't do it. It's his HOUSE... My boy will meet him someday, or get an autograph in some fashion OTHER than knocking on his door.
                "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Always a gentleman

I have been a Cardinal fan since I discovered MLB in 1960 (remember, there was no ESPN in those days). When Stan announced his retirement at the club picnic in August 1963 I was 13 years old. I cried when I went to bed that night. In the early 1990s I worked for Sports Collectors Digest. I had the privilege of interviewing Stan three times. He was always humble, gracious and a gentleman. Whether it's true or not, it was always believed by the elder statesmen of the collecting hobby that Stan and Bob Feller signed more free autographs than any other players. Having seen both in action I have no reason to doubt that. Both men have my utmost respect and admiration.
                  "(Ty) Cobb is a prick. But he sure can hit. God Almighty, that man can hit." - Babe Ruth

Comment

My Dad worshipped the ground Musial walked on. Since I started out as a Brooklyn Dodger fan I have nothing but the highest respect for "The Man".
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Here's a funny Musial story told by a guy I worked with in the Pentagon. When he was a little kid, his dad promised to take him to Ebbets Field to see the Cards play the Dodgers. The kid had heard that Dodger fans called Musial "The Man" before anyone else did.He wanted to see this great player and begged his dad to take him to the park early to see batting practice. As they entered the first base area stands Musial was hitting and hooked a ball toward the kid. He ducked the ball but in doing so "I dropped my orange drink and my Nathans hot dog....they splattered all over my shoes". That was his intro to the Man.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X