• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are a couple pictures of the Cooper Brothers, Mort (P) and Walker (C):

cooperbros.jpg

49- WALKER-MORT COOPER CARDINALS 1942-960x960.jpg
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Speaking of pretty darn good Cardinals C that won World Series, here's a few of Tim McCarver:

Baseball Digest McCarver cover.jpg

Tim and Gibby.jpg

SI McCarver cover.jpg

Comment

• John Tudor. My favorite Cardinal SP right up there with Dizzy Dean and Chris Carpenter. The oft injured lefty was still one of our best pitchers, certainly of the 1980s and possibly in our history. He spent parts of 5 seasons in St. Louis going 62-26 (.705) with a 2.52 ERA, 128 G, 125 GS, 22 CG, 12 SHO, 881.2 IP, 448 K, 146 ERA+, 1.080 WHIP, and was 2nd in the NL Cy Young vote in his historic 1985 season (21-8, 1.93, ERA, 36 GS, 14 CG, 10 SHO led the NL, 185 ERA+, and a league leading 0.938 WHIP).

For his career, Tudor was 117-72 (.619), 3.12 ERA, 281 G, 263 GS, 50 CG, 16 SHO, 1797 IP, 988 K, 124 ERA+, and a 1.198 WHIP. Tudor was a member of the 1988 LA Dodgers that won the World Series against the heavily favored Oakland A's. Tudor was traded to the Dodgers that year after going 6-5 with the Cardinals (went 4-3 in LA), but was hurt and had to be pulled from his only start in that Series. He came back to the Cardinals after the lost season of 1990 in which he missed all but 6 G and 3 GS for the Dodgers. In 1991, his first year back in the Redbird uniform, John went 12-4 with a 2.40 ERA in 22 GS, 1 SHO, a 159 ERA+, and a 1.025 WHIP. That was his final season in the major leagues.

Tudor standing ovation.jpg

Comment

• Dave Duncan and Tony LaRussa with good old #11! I miss these guys. The greatest pitching coach and manger or their generation. Ever? A strong case can certainly be made.

Duncan and LaRussa.jpg

Comment

• Jim+Bottomley+and+Chick+Hafey.jpg

i wonder if these 2 were just as good of friends as they were teammates because in 1931 they were close in a lot of categories and both struggled in the series that year.

Comment

• "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

• "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

• Originally posted by whturner View Post
                  Not Musial - Musial wears #6, and is left handed.
                  Uhhh... No that is Musial. There are no bats in the photo, just two fielders and a base runner.
                  Last edited by StanTheMan; 06-05-2013, 05:03 PM.
                  "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

• First picture is likely a world series game during the war (note the War Chest Ad on the scoreboard). The shadow on the field indicates the sun is low in the south (Fall)
                    The overflowing stands are even more that a good sunday game attendance!

Cheers
                    Warren

Comment

• Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                      This gets me a little misty-eyed every time I see it! Good job, Bryan! Good job, Blues! Damn fine job, Mr. Musial, in all that you did and were in this lifetime!

Comment

• Looks even better on the ice...

"Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

• Two strike fastballs, located like this one, make things quite tough on the batter...

Comment

• I will be amazed by his follow through until the day I die.

Comment

• The Great Tom Herr! Double play partner of The Wizard of Oz!

tommy-herr-cranks-it.jpg

ape-herr-shingaurd-8x10.jpg

Herr Cardinals.jpg

Comment

• Here are some pictures of my two favorite Cardinal uniforms - from 1942 and 1934. I have a 1934 Dizzy Dean jersey and a 1942 Stan Musial one, I do wear the Musial jersey to games. The '34 jersey is just too dang hot in the summer!

1934deans.jpg

1934pic1.jpg

cardinals-locker-room2.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X