Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this while looking for a picture of that ridiculous Tom Lawless bat flip. I love the section of the cover that says "Power" and has Jack Clark there. That was it! No other "power" on that team! And for "Defense" they have good old Ozzie Smith and Tom Herr listed! Way to go!

1987scorebook.jpg
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Here is the rookie card of my main man at second base! The Greatest American Hero look alike, Tom Herr!

rc1980toppstomherr.jpg

Comment

• OK, I'm bored. This made me smile though! From that disappointing (but still awesome) 1987 season. Who was that great second baseman we had back then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
          OK, I'm bored. This made me smile though! From that disappointing (but still awesome) 1987 season. Who was that great second baseman we had back then?

I was at that game. One of my favorite/most vivid memories of my childhood. My mom kept her seat-cushion instead of throwing it on the field. She kept it and passed it on to me when she died two years ago.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
            I was at that game. One of my favorite/most vivid memories of my childhood. My mom kept her seat-cushion instead of throwing it on the field. She kept it and passed it on to me when she died two years ago.
            Wow! Crazy. I remember the game, but I was not there. I lived just west of Davenport, IA (one of the Quad Cities) at that time. The summer of 1987 was my favorite as a young baseball fan. I was 11 years old that summer and played Little League for the first time, played another hundred or so games in my neighborhood and with my cousins down in Southern Iowa. It was baseball from sunup to sundown, all day, every day. First summer I lived that way! The damn World Series that year soiled the memories of all the fun I had for well over a decade, though. It was especially painful, for me anyway, when Tom Herr and John Tudor were traded off the next year and we didn't get back to October baseball again until 1996.

Of course, the 1985 team is still my absolute favorite that I was able to follow, but guys like Tom Herr, Ozzie Smith, Bob Forsch, Willie McGee (the only 4 to appear on all 3 of Whitey's World Series teams that decade), Vince Coleman, Terry Pendleton, John Tudor, Jack Clark, Danny Cox, and Todd Worrell were still with the Redbirds. It was still the '87 team that was really hoping would win. In 1985 I just thought it was a given we would win. Not so after that horrible collapse in Games 6 and 7 that year. In '87, despite the loss of our only slugger Jack Clark, and the other injuries we had going into that damnable Metrodome (and its cursed, and curious, wind currents...), I was almost sure (and almost begging) that we would pull it off. Confident, yet a bit cautious after the heartbreak in 1985.

Comment

• Here are some images I bumped into while searching for something completely different this morning:

Alex v Tony.jpg

1943 ticket.jpeg

1964 program.JPG

Redbird cussing Hitler.jpeg

1926 program.jpeg

Comment

• Longshot I know, but does anyone know of a picture of Ryan Kurosaki in a Cardinals uniform? He pitched in 7 games in '75 and I can only find images of his minor league cards and one colorized picture made into a 75 Topps card. Would love to find the original b&w photo that was colorized.

Comment

• Currently on Ebay from the Topps Vault, obviously a spring training photo (from 1984), but what an odd combo of pants and jersey. Not just Willie, as you can see by the player stretching in the background.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X