Is Isringhausen done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Isringhausen done?

Not to sound dramatic, but I fear that Izzy's pitching shoulder is acting up yet again, and that's his fifth blown save this season after tonight's loss. I'm kind of nervous that it will require surgery soon, and the next surgery may end his career.

I'm hoping not, but his shoulder seems to have gotten worse from 2006, and it could possibly be due to age. Ryan Franklin will probably take over as closer. What's your take? I know he leads the league with saves, he's also tied with them in blown saves, with Eric Gagné.
    Yes, I fear that because of his shoulder problems
    33.33%
    Yes, he is getting old - and it is showing
    0.00%
    No, he is not yet done.
    11.11%
    I am not sure right now.
    44.44%
    Undecided, but his pitching shoulder could be a problem over time.
    11.11%

After the game last night....... He's asking for some time off from teh closer's role, adn admits this is a mental thing he is going through.

"It's just time for Tony [La Russa, manager], 'Dunc' [pitching coach Dave Duncan] and 'Mo' [general manager John Mozeliak] to figure out what to do," Isringhausen said. "Until I can get back on track or whatever the case might be, I'm sick of embarrassing myself and letting my team down."

"We should have five more wins in the win column, in my mind," Isringhausen said. "We should be out in first place even more. They can't keep sending me out there when I'm pitching the way I'm pitching. I'm going to have to figure out some kind of remedy. I'm sure that remedy will give me some time off from the role and get someone in there who can do a better job right now."

They were surprising words from a pitcher who said his ailments had nothing to do with physical health.

"I'm low 90's [in velocity], which is where I've been the last few years," he said. "I've got good bite on my breaking ball ... but when you're behind everybody ... my curveball is an out pitch, it's not a throw-for-a-strike pitch. I don't feel bad physically, so I know it's a mental thing."

From the Cardinals official site......

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=stl
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Everybody thought he was done after 2006, and came back with arguably his best season. It is way too early to call him done. Every pitchers has 20-30 inning rough patches from time to time. For a starter, that is like having 3 straight bad starts-no big deal in the grand scheme of things. If Izzy continues struggling through 60-70 innings and struggles next year for awhile, it might be more apparentthat he is heading towards the end. My guess (in order of probablitiy) is:

1. He will straighten it out -no major problem
      2. he is hurt again
      3. He is finished
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

For what it's worth, I voted "not sure right now." I agree with STLCards2's assessment that he's been through similar rough patches before, and has come through it well, but for relievers in particular, the more of these "rough patches" you have, and the older you are when you have them, increase the probability that you don't come back from them, or at least make it tougher and tougher to do so......
        "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Ryan Franklin picked up the save for the Cardinals last night...... Izzy did not make an appearance except to shake Franklin's hand after the game.

Comment

Tony won't let him be done.

Comment

A little early to call this one. Even if his closing days are over he may be able to adapt to another role.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X