Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Edmonds for Freese the heist of the century?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Edmonds for Freese the heist of the century?

^above

Is it the 21st Century version of Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio or Willie McGee for Bob Sykes?

Look at Edmonds' total production for the Padres:

90 ABs .178 BA

What were the Padres thinking? Are our scouts better than their minor league executives?

And he was 38 yo which, to quote the WS issue of SI that just came out "Players abilities always wane in their 30s"
    Brock for Broglio
    66.67%
    McGee for Sykes
    16.67%
    Freese for Edmonds
    16.67%

Well, before you get too carried away, Freese just completed his age 28 season and only has 660+ plate appearances. It was a throw away trade by both teams. Neither had much use for the guy they had. The Cards were just looking to get some organizational filler. So, in this case the Cards were just lucky.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

>> So, in this case the Cards were just lucky.

Whatever that means.

BTW, I didnt think I was getting carried away. I was just asking a question and trying to get some input. Sheesh.

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
      Well, before you get too carried away, Freese just completed his age 28 season and only has 660+ plate appearances. It was a throw away trade by both teams. Neither had much use for the guy they had. The Cards were just looking to get some organizational filler. So, in this case the Cards were just lucky.

Comment

Let's see how many more years Freese has ahead of him before we get to that level.
        Any way Freese's career turns out, it was already a win for the Cardinals, but when you're talking Brock for Broglio, Freese would have to have another decade or so of top-tier production before the two can compare. As KC pointed out, Freese is 28 and has had an unfortunate string of injuries the last couple of seasons.

Regardless, as a Cardinals fan I'll be sending Padres management a Christmas card this winter.

Comment

Padres were the same team we Ozzie Smith from because they only cared about offense. Not caring that he was probably the greatest defensive player to ever play the game at any position.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X